Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Here is an hfs+ DMG image (fresh) from VMware Fusion install.
Again restore it to a 10GB or bigger HFS+ partition:
Code:
sudo asr restore --source /path/to/Mavericks.dmg  --target /dev/diskXsY --erase -noverify

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
hi, im new here, can you provide more specific instructions? its my first time attempting this. i downloaded the file from @startergo but dont kno how to attach it to usb thumb drive properly
The image I posted you have to restore to an HFS+ partition. Create an HFS+ partition in disk utility. Click get info and make a note of the path. it will be your /dev/diskXsY in the code below. Open terminal and type:
Code:
sudo asr restore --source /path/to/Mavericks.dmg  --target /dev/diskXsY --erase -noverify
Where /path/to/Mavericks.dmg is the path to the downloaded image. You can also drag/drop the image after typing sudo asr restore --source.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
I'm dealing with another problem, everytime I open mavericks and go thru the Install button does nothing.
Let me know if I said this before. Video is attached below

(update: it gave me this error, normally on 10.8.5 for me it's doing nothing when I click the Install at the install to disk screen)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If the installer app does not, well, install - there are other options to try.
First (and best) - use that installer app to make an external bootable installer.
There's quite a few links that will help you out with that. Apple has a tech article on making bootable installers.
Found a Macworld article specific for Mavericks, with a good setup for using the terminal to make the installer.
Scroll down to the "Option 1: Use createinstallmedia" I made a Mavericks installer using these steps, and works fine...
Boot to that installer, should work for you too ...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
1. I should maybe note that the sudo to createinstallmedia in terminal for usb, you might not know what I'm talking about. The command for terminal doesn't work.
2. I'm using Chrome, I just got the message that https://www.macworld.com/ for that specific site is not working with Chrome, I'm on OS X 10.8.5.
3. I have an Apple ID with my name on it, and I never downloaded it from the app store.

(Fix: I used FireFox 45 to get into macworld)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 8.13.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 8.13.41 AM.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 164

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
1. I should maybe note that the sudo to createinstallmedia in terminal for usb, you might not know what I'm talking about. The command for terminal doesn't work.
2. I'm using Chrome, I just got the message that https://www.macworld.com/ for that specific site is not working with Chrome, I'm on OS X 10.8.5.
3. I have an Apple ID with my name on it, and I never downloaded it from the app store.

(Fix: I used FireFox 45 to get into macworld)
I do know exactly what you mean by "sudo to createinstallmedia in terminal for usb"
What happens when you try it? Should work - I actually tested the terminal command in 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, so should be good in Mountain Lion.
Do you get an error of some kind? I can give you very detiled steps for that terminal command, if you need some help with that.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
I do know exactly what you mean by "sudo to createinstallmedia in terminal for usb"
What happens when you try it? Should work - I actually tested the terminal command in 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, so should be good in Mountain Lion.
Do you get an error of some kind? I can give you very detiled steps for that terminal command, if you need some help with that.
I have Sierra, until the USB can be complete then I'll restart my Mac and install it.
I don't know why the command cannot be found, but it's just a pain in the rear.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
I need help making the USB installer. But, the question is will it overwrite Sierra? (Will it install over sierra after I shutdown and hit OPTION at boot?)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can make the bootable installer -- but it won't install (or overwrite) on a volume that has a newer version of macOS already installed. You can install it on another partition (and that can be something useful to have two bootable partitions with different versions of macOS.)
Or, you can erase the Sierra volume, and install Mavericks, if that is what you want to do.

Do you want me to post the detailed steps to make the terminal commands easy? I am away from house for the night, so can't do that until tomorrow.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
1. I would like the steps.
2. I'll put the installer on a drive ahead of time, or I could add a partition. But, will it erase OS Sierra and have to install OS X 10.8.5?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
1. I would like the steps.
2. I'll put the installer on a drive ahead of time, or I could add a partition. But, will it erase OS Sierra and have to install OS X 10.8.5?
If you download the file from
Install the package to the Application folder. Then use:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
where your USB drive is formatted as HFS+ labeled Untitled

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Make installer bootable on flash drive: ( you can also use a partition on an external drive. And external SSD is a sweet spot, I think. The partition for a Mavericks installer can 5.5 GB - fits nicely on an 8GB flash drive, if you have that )

Insert your USB flash drive (use a 16GB flash drive for this). Erase that thumb drive, using your Disk Utility. Make sure it is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled), and the partition Map is "GUID"

The Mavericks installer app (Install OS X Mavericks) should be in your Applications folder.

Right click on that installer app, and choose "Show Package Contents". Open the Library, then open the "Resources" folder. Leave that alone for a moment...

Launch your Terminal app, then type sudo, and add a single space. (note: be sure to put spaces when they are listed here. This is the most common reason that the command fails!)

From the Resources folder that you left open, drag the file "createinstallmedia" and drop it on your terminal window. You will see the full path to that file appear next to sudo.

(close the installer folder that you left open — you are done with that for now)

Next, type --volume, and add one space to that. (notice there are TWO dashes, not just one)

Now, find the icon for your flash drive (the one you just erased. Should be on your desktop somewhere). Drag that icon into the terminal window. You will see that disk, with its path, added to the line you have been typing.

Now, type --applicationpath (again, notice there are TWO dashes/hyphens, not just one)

Add a single space here.

NOW, find the installer app (in your Applications folder), and drag that installer app (Install OS X Mavericks - just to be sure you are on the right app!)

So, drag that installer app into your terminal window.

AND, press enter. You will be asked to enter your admin password. Do that, you will NOT see what you type (it's a security feature, just type your password, then press enter. It will work.

Finally, the terminal will ask you to press "y" to start the command that you just typed, so type Y, and press enter.

Then, you will see some numbers appear, showing the progress of the command. Some flash drives will be slow, maybe 30 minutes. It will finish by adding a couple of final items to complete the installer and make it bootable. And, it's ready to go! :cool:

I tried to be careful with the command setup, so if the command fails the first time, re-enter, watching for both spelling errors, or incorrect spaces. I tried to make this as error-proof as a terminal command can be. The drag-n-drop will help prevent a lot of typing errors, so be sure to use that, it works… (In case you ask, the --nointeraction part of the command at the very end, is optional, and would bypass the need to type a "Y" to start the command.)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you download the file from
Install the package to the Application folder. Then use:
@startergo: you have posted these download links a couple of times. I see that the download files are labeled as "encrypted", so I assume that using those files would need an unlock password of some kind. I can't get any kind of results that ask for a password, and the installer tells me that the file is an "Invalid Distribution File/Package", and won't go any further.
What do you do to get the actual installer app installed -- it appears to be correct size, just not accessible through any method that I can find.

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2022
I can't open it, this may be Mavericks in a package (.pkg) file

If you're having trouble opening this, click on the image and click download and the image will be saved. The image here isn't the real image, due to potential outdation of macrumors.

Attachments

• Untitled.tiff
    1.1 MB · Views: 184

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It looks like the last link I posted is encrypted. I have created an image from a USB installer in a DMG format. You will have to restore the image to an 8GB (or bigger) USB drive either from Disk utility or with:
Code:
sudo asr imagescan --source ~/Downloads/MavericksUSB_restore.dmg
Code:
sudo asr restore --source ~/Downloads/MavericksUSB_restore.dmg  --target /dev/diskXsY --erase -noverify
Replace /dev/diskXsY with the actual BSD device node shown in Disk Utility when you press info. The target disk has to be unmounted first in Disk Utility or with:
Code:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskX
The above command assumes the file is downloaded in ~/Downloads folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: f329

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
It looks like the last link I posted is encrypted. I have created an image from a USB installer in a DMG format. You will have to restore the image to an 8GB (or bigger) USB drive either from Disk utility or with:
Code:
sudo asr imagescan --source ~/Downloads/MavericksUSB_restore.dmg
Code:
sudo asr restore --source ~/Downloads/MavericksUSB_restore.dmg  --target /dev/diskXsY --erase -noverify
Replace /dev/diskXsY with the actual BSD device node shown in Disk Utility when you press info. The target disk has to be unmounted first in Disk Utility or with:
Code:
sudo diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskX
The above command assumes the file is downloaded in ~/Downloads folder.

HI @startergo, I am currently trying to create a USB installer of Mavericks for an old Mac mini. I ended up in this thread and followed the procedure you suggest above with the DMG file you linked further up in this thread.

The resulting USB installer cannot be selected as startup disk although the installer in it works fine as long as another macOS external drive is used as startup disk. When I tried to boot from the USB installer I got an error about stating that the drive could not be blessed properly.

Do you think there is any way to fix this issue and get the USB installer to be available as startup disk? Thanks!

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
HI @startergo, I am currently trying to create a USB installer of Mavericks for an old Mac mini. I ended up in this thread and followed the procedure you suggest above with the DMG file you linked further up in this thread.

The resulting USB installer cannot be selected as startup disk although the installer in it works fine as long as another macOS external drive is used as startup disk. When I tried to boot from the USB installer I got an error about stating that the drive could not be blessed properly.

Do you think there is any way to fix this issue and get the USB installer to be available as startup disk? Thanks!
I linked multiple images which one you are using?

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
I downloaded the image from post #45, the unencrypted one. thanks.

edit: yes sorry I just realized in my orginal post I wrote that I downloaded the image file from an earlier post but that was wrong, I actually got the unencypted file from post #45.

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
I linked multiple images which one you are using?

hello and sorry to bug you again with a question about an ancient macOS. Curious if you might know a solution to the above problem? My sense is that the USB flash drive should be formatted as bootable and maybe that's what not transfering properly during Restore using your image from post #45? Is there a terminal command that could fix this..? Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.