Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
No ad hominem offence taken despite effectively being called a liar.

On input, you didn't ask for any as you made a closed statement. I didn't have anything to add to what seemed like a pointless exercise.

Since you have now asked for input however, the installer insisted on an internet connection and would not continue without one. When connected, it showed a message saying it would verify eligibility to proceed with Apple with an option to proceed or exit. On selecting the option to proceed, it came back saying it could not allow the installation.

Perhaps you can clarify how you decided what I wrote before could not be true.
To start with, this:

"In order for the installer to check whether you have installed it or not in the past you have to be logged in to the App Store from the Installer"

appears to be an assumption on what the installer can do or not do, or at least on how Apple can provide information to the installer.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Perhaps you can clarify how you decided what I wrote before could not be true.
I thought I did in the previous statement. Just to add to this error. I have encountered this error many times before. All with installers I previously downloaded from the Apps Store and ultimately downloaded either from web App Store or through cli-mas. But I ask again:
How does the App Store know at that stage of installation process, whether you downloaded the installer from the App Store before? It only checks for the integrity of the installer (including certificates, time and date etc...).
No ad hominem offence taken despite effectively being called a liar.
I did not call you a liar. Don't put words in my mouth. Lying is intentionally spreading misinformation and I strongly believe you did not do that. If you felt offended I apologize.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
I did not call you a liar. Don't put words in my mouth. Lying is intentionally spreading misinformation and I strongly believe you did not do that. If you felt offended I apologize.
Well, perhaps your phraseology around truthfulness meant what you said came across in that way although as said, I did not take offence. Let's let that slide as one of those misunderstandings that can happen with written communication.

I thought I did in the previous statement. Just to add to this error. I have encountered this error many times before. All with installers I previously downloaded from the Apps Store and ultimately downloaded either from web App Store or through cli-mas. But I ask again:
How does the App Store know at that stage of installation process, whether you downloaded the installer from the App Store before? It only checks for the integrity of the installer (including certificates, time and date etc...).
Well, I have just run through installing everything from Leopard to Sierra and with those and on every other previous occassion, I have never came across an installer insisting on an internet connection for verification with Apple apart from this instance with Mavericks. Are you saying you have faced this several times before with others?

As for exaclty how the installer knows, the point is that I do not know and I do not think you do either.
Could Apple be passing info based on serial number etc? No idea.

Either way though, having done a lot of investigation to find a way around the issue, I have not come across anyone that has been able to install Mavericks just like that if they had not previously downloaded it from the App Store.

As said earlier though, there doesn't seem to be much point to pressing this since there is no way you can definitively prove your position and neither can I. Unless of course someone that has never downloaded it from the App store can chime in and say they ran a vanilla installer and it worked perfectly well.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Are you saying you have faced this several times before with others?
Yep. With EC, which I had previously downloaded from the App Store.
Well, perhaps your phraseology around truthfulness meant what you said came across in that way
Come on @Dayo we have know each other for a long time. When did I ever call you a liar?
As for exaclty how the installer knows, the point is that I do not know and I do not think you do either.
Could Apple be passing info based on serial number etc? No idea.
I have tried various date commands with that EC installation (and Mavericks) and the one that worked for me was to set the current date from terminal. I have chatted with "Geniuses" at Apple and they could have not helped me either. Depending on the installer and the internal certificate expiration you have to experiment with different date commands.

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
When did I ever called you a liar?
Let's let that one slide. Apologies if I offended you on this.

Depending on the installer and the internal certificate expiration you have to experiment with different date commands.
I am fully up to date on the date thing and it is always the first thing to check on an old installer failing:

It doesn't look like we are actually talking about the same thing here as what I had was not the well understood certificate expiry generated errors. In fact I did not get an error and everything worked as designed. It just simply came back with a clear message, after checking with Apple over the web, stating that the machine was not eligible for installing Mavericks.

El Capitan did not ask for an internet connection to check anything when I installed it a few days ago btw. That would be the third or fourth time I have installed it. Each time, apart from the first, without an internet connection. Same applies to everything else from Leopard to Sierra apart from Mavericks

Still think it is best to leave things on this as we will only keep going round in circles I feel.

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
It just simply came back with a clear message, after checking with Apple over the web, stating that the machine was not eligible for installing Mavericks.
I had the same error. Maybe it depends on the installer? Was it a genuine installer? I can send you a genuine installer for testing if you want.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If you try downloading Mavericks with cli-mas with an account where Mavericks was never downloaded before you will get this error:

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 12.00.17 PM.png
And with the correct account:
Code:
Mavericks % mas install 675248567
==> Installed OS X Mavericks

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
Okay ... you can post a link to the Quest and I will try it out
All attempts at using the "genuine" installer has failed.

There must have been a reason why Apple skipped adding Mavericks to the links to old installers they made available and it seems to me to be that it was because it couldn't be guaranteed to work for everyone that might download it.

Moving on from this.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If someone needs a working USB installer for Mavericks as of today do this:
* Download a copy of this ISO file.
* Download Balena Etcher.
* Burn the ISO image to an 8GB USB with Balena Etcher.
* Boot the USB by holding OPTION key at boot and select the installer in a Mavericks supported machine.
* Open terminal and issue this command:
Code:
date 0101010116
* Exit the terminal and proceed with the installation.
The same USB can be used for creating a virtual machine in Parallels as long as you change the date from terminal as described above. For some reason the original ISO file attached as a boot image to Parallels is not recognized and it boots to a forbidden sign screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: kt7a-raid

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
The following guide is for the people who can download Mavericks from the App Store with previous Mavericks "purchase" on Mavericks or older macOS's, or the ones which downloaded that installer with mas-cli.
You most probably will not be able to use createinstallmedia with this installer if you downloaded that installer and other installers directly from the App Store, or with mas-cli. If you execute the following command in terminal:

Code:
file /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
/Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg: xar archive compressed TOC: 11017, SHA-1 checksum

You will see that the InstallESD.dmg is not actually a DMG, but an archive. In fact you can safely rename it to InstallESD.pkg and execute it by double clicking. But this is not what we are going to do here as it does not work during the booting/installation process after creating the USB installer this way.

To create a bootable USB installer of Mavericks.app downloaded from the App Store follow the steps bellow.
From earlier macOS's than Mavericks, or with mas-cli on new macOS's, download the Mavericks.app in the /Applications folder.
Format an 8GB USB drive with HFS+ GUID Partition scheme and label it Untitled.
Execute these commands:

Code:
pkgutil --expand /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg ~/Mavericks
cd ~/Mavericks/InstallMacOSX.pkg

Show the Hidden files. Execute this command:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE && killall Finder
In newer macOS's hold SHIFT+COMMAND+.

Execute these commands:

Code:
cd ~/Mavericks/InstallMacOSX.pkg && open InstallESD.dmg
cd /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD && cp BaseSystem.dmg ~/Mavericks/
asr imagescan --source ~/Mavericks/BaseSystem.dmg

Find your USB device and the Apple_HFS partition on it:

Code:
diskutil list
/dev/disk19 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *8.0 GB     disk19
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk19s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Untitled                7.7 GB     disk19s2

Execute these commands:

Code:
sudo asr restore --source ~/Mavericks/BaseSystem.dmg --target /dev/disk19s2 --erase
rm /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation/Packages
cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages  /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation

Take a coffee break as this command takes time. Watch the cursor at the termianl to indicate that the copy command is done.

Execute the following commands:

Code:
cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg  /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System
cp /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.chunklist  /Volumes/OS\ X\ Base\ System

Boot the "OS X Base System" USB by holding OPTION key at boot time and install Mavericks. No messing with the date is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: perez987

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
@startergo
>You most probably will not be able to use createinstallmedia with this installer if you downloaded that installer and other installers directly from the App Store,
Why doesn't createinstallmedia work with installer downloaded from the app store? Just cert validation issue? Does temporarily reseting date to bypass that not work?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
@startergo
>You most probably will not be able to use createinstallmedia with this installer if you downloaded that installer and other installers directly from the App Store,
Why doesn't createinstallmedia work with installer downloaded from the app store? Just cert validation issue? Does temporarily reseting date to bypass that not work?
Simple answer. In ML:
Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 10.36.02 PM.png

In ventura:
Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 10.38.26 PM.png

The script expects InstallESD.dmg there. I don't know when they changed repacking, but apparently the original InstallESD's were DMG's and the installers were working. Not anymore, without special treatment.

Fiifi_OD

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Many Thanks @Wowfunhappy...

Have managed to download a 5GB zipped files.
from you link to the Internet Archives webpage.
I am very much hoping it works after all.
Very grateful

My Macbook Pro is a late 2011 model A1823
I cant seem to successfully install any mac OS
(shows as loading the files in the grey screen with
the apple logo...) when it reboots, screen comes
up grey with question mark in a blinking folder?
Internet Recovery option does not resolve it either.

Just the continued grey screen Internal HDD is
also not recognised.

Strangely, Windows 10 is working great on it so far?

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Createinstallmedia works for me via installers downloaded from the app store.

It won't work with Mavericks images which were themselves created via createinstallmedia.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
The quota limitation is just a warning that the download "may be" interrupted. Press continue anyway or use the Mega desktop App.
I have tested the Mavericks iso from the Mega folder in Parallels:
1681741512202.png
It needs the date to be set to :
Diff:
date 0101010116

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Another way downloading from Mega is with Megacmd:
Code:
MEGA CMD> get https://mega.nz/folder/IVM0mLQR#P6aIdBVI0wFSZrBEHNLvyw/file/EF1gAYjC /Users/mbp151/Downloads
TRANSFERRING ||###....................................................................................................................||(101/5079 MB:   2.00 %)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.