Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Another attempt now with different powered hubs and a 2.5A/port power brick. No go.

Also tested the "power cable" with the iPhone and it works, so I assume the cable is working fine. With the hubs, the iPhone start charging (from the powered hub) but completely disconnects when I connect the hug to the car. My guess here is that the car does not recognizes the hub and causes it to shutdown.

Next attempt only when/if I get my hands on a new firmware. Lets wait and see.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Another attempt now with different powered hubs and a 2.5A/port power brick. No go.

Also tested the "power cable" with the iPhone and it works, so I assume the cable is working fine. With the hubs, the iPhone start charging (from the powered hub) but completely disconnects when I connect the hug to the car. My guess here is that the car does not recognizes the hub and causes it to shutdown.

Next attempt only when/if I get my hands on a new firmware. Lets wait and see.

The few aftermarket head units I found on Crutchfield say 1.5amp is the Android Auto Android device and Apple CarPlay iPhone devices max charge rate. There will be loss through a Lightning Cable but in a perfect world that is around 7.5watt charging maximum.

Apple also uses a authentication IC (lockout chip) for CarPlay...

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 9.41.53 AM.png

https://www.apple.com/business/docs/site/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

That is probably the "proprietary chip" CarPlay2Air mentions on their webpage.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 9.45.04 AM.png

Hard to say what the means exactly and how liberal they are being with the terminology. Designing about building in house using main module sounds like a hack around the lock out chip nor do I see them directly listed on Apples MFi manufacturer list although that isn't uncommon depending on who is manufacturing the device for them. Link on this page....

What should be most concerning is looking up their address. This is sketchy foreign businesses operate to fly under the radar. They can literally turn off their entire business and its gone without a trace.

364 E Main Street, Suite 1012, Middletown, DE 19709

If you Google maps that its a UPS Store...

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.10.14 AM.png

They have a lot of online fronts I could probably keep finding for days upon days. This is a few results Google the address...Maybe they are working out the back of that Dunkin Donuts?

https://www.reclutatech.com

http://thinksmartinfo.com/index.html

https://www.sffinance.us/index.php

If you Google SF Finances phone number you get Light Speed Motors at 590 W Main St Santa Paula CA which is to no ones surprise......... another UPS store....

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.23.31 AM.png

I'm assuming the vehicle needs to have GPS built in? The vehicles that CarPlay2Air list are fairly new and fairly high end. Its a wonder the device has ever worked at all.

Regardless I would be weary putting a communication device between my iPhone and car that likely uses a hacked Apple IC from a company that is operating if a very interesting way.

I guess if you do have a problem you can contact the Gerosios Vilties (Good Hope) residential apartment building in Lithuania.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.49.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 10.51.09 AM.png

I'm disappointed there isn't a UPS Store sign out front...

-Super Sleuth

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Our Audi is Apple Car Play Wire (a pain)
Mini Cooper -wireles
assuming its proprietary to the car manufactures? BMW has wireless as well...

nightmare28

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
installed the new firmware recently... it has now get a car vendor specifiy design wireless/bluetooth ... my adapter looks like "KIA....." in bluetooth and wifi prefs

boot up is much faster, connection time less than half of before...

let's see if it's stable

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
I’ve done mine but worryingly it says demo version at the top and it is counting down from 30 on every boot. Anyone else confirm?

p.s. Mine also says VOLVO on both BT and WiFi. Now on 24 on the counter.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Where is the firmware for download? Is it only for CarPlay2air at the moment?

I have a CarLinkIt and it’s never worked, so wanting this new firmware to try. Via WhatsApp they’ve said will send when out but nothing yet.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
I’ve done mine but worryingly it says demo version at the top and it is counting down from 30 on every boot. Anyone else confirm?

p.s. Mine also says VOLVO on both BT and WiFi. Now on 24 on the counter.

Did it take long to go from red to red and blue? Mines been plugged in longer than the 2-3 minutes suggested.

Reactions: tripjammer

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
I had to use a second usb stick. My first 64gb one only formats exFAT. I found a little 8gb one that formatted FAT32 and it worked. Took a couple of minutes for both leds.

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Mine was very quick too. Need to be a small USB or it will not be FAT32 and the adapter will not read it.

The bad side is that on my case it will not complete the update on the car as it's not connecting. I will try to finish it on a friends car (that I've tried before).

Glad to know it's faster though. I hope my car will work once I finish the update.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Ok it looks like you need a small 8 gb usb stick. I have a 16 gb usb stick. What i am doing now is a full format FAT32 all default. We will see what happens, if not i will go and get a cheap 8gb usb stick.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Ok it looks like you need a small 8 gb usb stick. I have a 16 gb usb stick. What i am doing now is a full format FAT32 all default. We will see what happens, if not i will go and get a cheap 8gb usb stick.

I’m using a 8gb one. Tried 2 now. Formatted via disk utility.

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
if the carplay2air adapter does not see the usb stick it will do nothing, so don't worry if you don't see the dual lights after 3 mins....

ok did not work on a 16GB USB drive will try to find a 8gb drive...

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Can anyone else who has done the update confirm it says “Demo Version:xx” at the initialise screen and that xx starts at 30 and decrements each time you boot it?

Reactions: nightmare28

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Can anyone else who has done the update confirm it says “Demo Version:xx” at the initialise screen and that xx starts at 30 and decrements each time you boot it?
These people probably did not follow the directions to register the update. There is a step to do this in the instructions or they don't have a real carplay2air adapter.

AntonieB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
I cannot get past the 'product is not activated' screen on my iPhone. So I did the update via USB stick.. then I go to my car and there it says I have to connect to wifi and scan the QR code.. after that all I get is a black screen with 'product not activated'

Anybody know what the problem is?

Attachments

• IMG_0921.PNG
    IMG_0921.PNG
    769 KB · Views: 196
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.