Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019
Looks like i need a windows machine to format the stick and install the software. I’ve tried 4 usb drives now and still not got the red and blue lights.

Anyone using a mac managed to get this working?

AntonieB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
Looks like i need a windows machine to format the stick and install the software. I’ve tried 4 usb drives now and still not got the red and blue lights.

Anyone using a mac managed to get this working?
Yeah I did it with a mac. Just make sure you format it fat32. But even then it is apparantly very important what kind of usbstick it is because I had to try 3 before 1 worked.. it worked with a 16 gb one. Tried 8 and another 16 GB before the one that works.

I have as you can see in an earlier post an 'activation issue' I guess..

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
@AntonieB I think even when you get it activated you’ll be unhappy. You have the 2019 Arona...My wife has a 2019 Ibiza which is the same head unit....and it still doesn’t work with the new firmware. Well I say it doesn’t work....the video stream doesn’t. audio and touchscreen does, but you can’t see what your touching. As others have mentioned...it could be the seat isn’t pushing enough power through usb. I have a usb injector coming Monday to test that theory.

AntonieB

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
@AntonieB I think even when you get it activated you’ll be unhappy. You have the 2019 Arona...My wife has a 2019 Ibiza which is the same head unit....and it still doesn’t work with the new firmware. Well I say it doesn’t work....the video stream doesn’t. audio and touchscreen does, but you can’t see what your touching. As others have mentioned...it could be the seat isn’t pushing enough power through usb. I have a usb injector coming Monday to test that theory.

aah.. damn :( I indeed have the same problem 'before' the firmware update. Please keep me posted on the power situation / if you know more.

sb2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I've also been struggling to ever see both the red and blue LEDs illuminated after attempting to upload the new firmware. I've formatted 3 different USB drives on a Windows 10 computer, and my CarPlay2Air never gives me a blue LED.

MrShades

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Swindon, Wiltshire, UK
Well that pretty much confirms that the carlinkit and Carplay2air are the exact same thing. The firmware is the same

How do you know - can you access the firmware from that link?

Carlinkit confirmed - on their official facebook group - that the U2W (Usb to wireless) adapator is the internal name for the device that is retailed as the carplay2air device, and that they're the same.

"Carlinkit Carplay Internal model U2W (USB to Wireless), popular name CarPlay 2 Air,is the same product!"

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I’d stay as far away from the new firmware as possible. The last firmware worked almost perfect for my Jeep. Now 100% complete failure. Absolutely trash update

sb2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
For those of you have successfully installed the new firmware, should it only take the 2-3 minutes described in the instructions?

aviegas

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2019
localhost.localdomain
Has anyone completed the update and is NOT GETTING the "demo version" countdown? It's also on the video (that proves that the Carlinkit unlocker is the same as CarPlay2Air).

sb2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
mikejd1 -I have a prior version of the firmware that was sent to me to try to solve my problems. I only signed up for this forum for this CarPlay2Air thread. If there's a way to private message, get in touch with me and I'll send it to you to see if it helps get you back to where you started.

sb2002

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
I've used 1GB, 4GB and 16GB FAT32 formatted drives. None have been recognized, as far as I can tell.

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Same here... But still not able to get to the "activation" screen on my car. Not even with the "power cable".
I also have access to a Mitsubishi Outland PHEV and it doesn’t even detect the dongle. Says insert compatible phone or some tosh like that.
[automerge]1575755768[/automerge]
The issue is that the boot code in the dongle only understand FAT32. If you put a USB flash drive that is formated otherwise, it will NEVER see the file there. The brand is not the issue here. Size is.
I think d3ggy will disagree with you there

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I
mikejd1 -I have a prior version of the firmware that was sent to me to try to solve my problems. I only signed up for this forum for this CarPlay2Air thread. If there's a way to private message, get in touch with me and I'll send it to you to see if it helps get you back to where you started.
You have the 2019.11.11 file?
[automerge]1575755965[/automerge]
Mine has never worked at all, so I have nothing to lose.
the problem is, even if you get past activation, it appears to be in a ****ing demo mode, and it counts down evertime the dongle boots up, and when it gets to zero, you're screwwed and it forces you to activate every time the car starts. The last firmware 2019.11.11 worked nearly perfect for me and i need that back asap!!

Reactions: nightmare28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.