Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Under Settings > Units > Temperature, the only two choices given are Fahrenheit and Celsius. There is no choice given to display both simultaneously. Here are two screenshots for proof:

Yes, because that's setting the units for the entire app. There's no explicit setting to just display both simultaneously, you have to add the other unit type to one of the customizable slots (which are configured via the customization screen). Most people who want to see both units don't want to see both in every single place where temperature is displayed - that's why I give the option to choose where it appears.

And like I said before, this will be made more obvious in the redesign, so no real point arguing about this here.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
No offense but you’re the first person I’ve ever seen asking for such a thing. Instead of bashing the app put in a feature request. The developer is very active here and listens to his customers. That said if you’re the only one asking for a feature... I wouldn’t expect it right away.

I speak as a long time paying CarrotWeather customer. Before Carrot I was a WeatherUnderground user.

I bought the app after reading an article about Carrot from Lifehacker that said, “You can display both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures at once, like your phone is an HSBC road sign.”

Here’s a link to that article:

The main reason why I purchased the Carrot app is because that Lifehacker article said “You can display both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures at once...” I enjoy the app’s great design, innovative features, and the humor is terrific. But I was disappointed that the main feature that I bought the app for is either nonexistent or placed in a highly unintuitive place to access.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I bought the app after reading an article about Carrot from Lifehacker that said, “You can display both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures at once, like your phone is an HSBC road sign.”

The main reason why I purchased the Carrot app is because that Lifehacker article said “You can display both Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures at once...” I enjoy the app’s great design, innovative features, and the humor is terrific. But I was disappointed that the main feature that I bought the app for is either nonexistent or placed in a highly unintuitive place to access.

The app does allow you to view both C and F temps. It looks to me like your beef is with Lifehacker for misleading you with their post/review.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

How many times, I wonder, do others have to tell you that something exists for you to realise the problem is you rather than it being nonexistent?

On a related note, aren't you also pissed that you can't display wind speed in m/s and knots at the same time? Because that's an actual thing you can't do, rather than being something you don't seem able to find where others can.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014

I don’t understand why you’re still disappointed after you’ve been told how to do exactly what you want.

This is why CARROT wants to kill all of us meatbags...

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
For some reason in the past few months the complication which I have been using has the wrong day set. This evening the complication displayed Monday even though it is now Thursday.

If I activate the Carrot app the display updates for (maybe a few days?) but then shows the wrong date. The watch is not shutdown, and the carrot app is always in the background. IOS 13.7.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 219

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Here's an example of where the complication is not updating. The problem is the weekly forecast field. It is showing the date as Saturday, but today is Wednesday. All of the other complications seem to be correct.

IMG_0817.PNG

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Yesterday I changed my watch face to GMT and had carrot in the top corner slot with a temp + snarky forecast. Today I went to move it to the other side and now can't get back the snarky note, only a list of all the diff weather options. What am I doing wrong?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yesterday I changed my watch face to GMT and had carrot in the top corner slot with a temp + snarky forecast. Today I went to move it to the other side and now can't get back the snarky note, only a list of all the diff weather options. What am I doing wrong?

I know he pushed out an update last night... don't see a "Temp+Snarky Forecast" option...

Reactions: ma.con and rKunda

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I can't find an option to show temperature and temperature gauge like the Apple weather one anymore. It will also show condition and I can't get rid of the second data point. Also can't find a way to delete custom slots.

Maybe everything isn't fully implemented yet?

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
So I bought the app a long while ago, set it up the way I wanted it, then haven't touched it for a year or two. Now I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to change something. So here's the modular face on a Series 3 with the Carrot app as the main/center complication. Tell me how to change the information within the complication. Say, for example, I want to change the humidity data point to precipitation chance. How? I feel like there are options missing from the iPhone app that were there in the past.

IMG_7062.jpg

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
So I bought the app a long while ago, set it up the way I wanted it, then haven't touched it for a year or two. Now I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to change something. So here's the modular face on a Series 3 with the Carrot app as the main/center complication. Tell me how to change the information within the complication. Say, for example, I want to change the humidity data point to precipitation change. How? I feel like there are options missing from my iPhone app that were there in the past.

View attachment 955467
This changed for me during the iOS update to 14. Yes the settings definitely changed. To modify this: settings - Apple Watch - watch face - Large Slot Data point. I have this as sunrise and sunset. It switched to precipitation during ios 14 update.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks. So what about the next few lines? How would I edit those? Whatever is going on, it certainly is not as intuitive or user friendly as I remember.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks. So what about the next few lines? How would I edit those? Whatever is going on, it certainly is not as intuitive or user friendly as I remember.

This is in the complication setup now on the Apple Watch:

Pictures coming.
[automerge]1600472067[/automerge]
C6CDBFEF-A905-46C6-981E-F3550A2211B1.jpeg

This looks like an Apple Watch OS change. In the complication settings you can choose what goes there below:

Below is a pic of when I clicked more after clicking middle complication above.
EB8BFB8E-1241-4D8B-BED9-BCC6D792F314.jpeg

I do the five day one.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Interesting. I don't have those options. I'm with you up until I click on middle complication, but then I have no "more" option. Carrot is either selected, or it isn't. But no other options.

IMG_7063.jpg

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Interesting. I don't have those options. I'm with you up until I click on middle complication, but then I have no "more" option. Carrot is either selected, or it isn't. But no other options.

View attachment 955490

Oh my. I would check the App Store and make sure I have the latest Carrot Weather installed and updated. App Store - click avatar top right - pull down on page to get latest app updates then update all. May have to do this on watch too.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Looks okay - v4.16.0, updated yesterday. I rebooted everything just now but still no dice. But thanks for your help. Good to know I'm not crazy and have been chasing down settings that aren't where they used to be.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Looks okay - v4.16.0, updated yesterday. I rebooted everything just now but still no dice. But thanks for your help. Good to know I'm not crazy and have been chasing down settings that aren't where they used to be.

Should see this?

513197FA-3511-4F47-AF05-66F95C76B8DB.jpeg

I have a huge bone to pick with the App Store and latest versions. :(. Hope it gets to you soon.

Reactions: Achilles75

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
I just updated again. Now the app is saying September 16, v 4.16.1.2. But still no change. No options under the Carrot complication. It's either selected or it isn't.

?‍♂️

• Wow

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
Should see this?

View attachment 955493

I have a huge bone to pick with the App Store and latest versions. :(. Hope it gets to you soon.
I just updated again. Now the app is saying September 16, v 4.16.1.2. But still no change. No options under the Carrot complication. It's either selected or it isn't.

?‍♂️

You two are talking about two different faces. BigMac is talking about the infograph modular face available on Series 4 and up. Achilles is asking about the original modular face.

I don’t have an answer—just pointing out the miscommunication.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

?‍♂️

Have you tried going back to the "old" way of editing?

IMG_D883829D977E-1.jpeg

I'd think the "Large Slot Data Point" option might help you here.

Also for anyone else who had "custom" small slot complications for infograph face etc which were lost/re-set, you can re-add custom small complications here. And for faces with gauges you can see more than before. I've currently got precip chance on a gauge, the day's max temp next to it, and the current temp and condition.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
I have tried that - using the custom slots on the iPhone app. Settings -> Apple Watch -> Watch Face. Doesn’t seem to have any effect.

• Sad

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Ugh. Picked up a new Apple Watch Series 6 today. Hoping this might solve some of the woes posted above. It did not. The problems persist and I can't seem to get any of the complications or watch faces to customize like I want them or like I used to be able to do. Is anyone else having similar issues with this app right now? I'm hoping maybe these bugs are attributable to the new iOS and Watch OS.
Are you sure you are at the correct subscription tier? If not, I don’t believe you will see all the options. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Reactions: Achilles75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.