Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rbgaynor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Southern California
Are you sure? My Windows 7 VM will no longer function properly. It boots, but I only see a black screen. Can't see the VM.

VMWare appears to be working for me, including a Windows 7 VM. I initially had a black screen for that VM but after shutting down and restarting the VM it is working. It does appear to be using a fair amount of CPU.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Working:

Ableton Live 10 Lite
Audio Hijack*
Bartender 3
CleanMyMac X
Dropbox
Farrago*
Final Cut Pro X
Fission*
IStat Menus
Logic Pro X
Native Access
Maschine 2 (and all other NI apps/plugins I tested)
Notability
Piezo*
Shazam
Speedtest
Splice
The Unarchiver
Tooth Fairy
Transmission
Tweetbot
VLC

* - (gives warning that OS is unsupported but allows bypass and works)

Not working:

Loopback
OpenEmu
Sound Source 4

Last edited:
Reactions: mocoso

zaxven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Not working:

SwitchResX
Epic Games Launcher
Anaconda3
Paragon NTFS for Mac

Also, other than system apps no new apps show up in Launchpad.

Last edited:

LEoREo_2247

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
Steam actually supports 64bit since quite a while ago, but it doesn't completely apply for those who already have installed since the 32bit version.
So you just have to reinstall it from the download page and it should work on Catalina as well.

Reactions: rbgaynor

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Steam is 32bit for those interested
I'm seeing the posts where Steam is said not to be working, but on a clean Mojava -to- Catalina install I was able to install Steam and it downloaded the client successfully. It starts up and shows me my library, is there something specific that isn't working? I haven't tried controller support, and I believe they install a driver for that to work.
Steam actually consists of two parts: a launcher (which is the thing you see in /Applications or whereever you installed it) and the actual client, which is buried within Steam's Application Support folder. The latter has been 64-bit for quite a while already, the launcher wasn't. The launcher also doesn't get updated automatically, which might explain the discrepancies some people here see.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Not working:

Microsoft Office 2016
Working for me. Example version: MS Word v16.25 Edit: I have Office 2019.

Might someone be able to verify whether Aperture has survived another major update?
I downloaded it just to check and ... nope. It doesn't give the standard "this is 32-bit crap" message but it still doesn't work (there is no later version).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 12.38.18.png
    Screenshot 2019-06-04 at 12.38.18.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone been able to use virtual box on Catalina?

Ive tried to use a windows 10 VM and each time after about 2 minutes it will crash. My VM currently is sitting in the virtual machine manager with the aborted state due to all the crashing and improper shutdowns due to the crashing.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
WhatsApp (from Mac App Store)
Working? Not working?

Not working for me as MacOS won't open it and refuses to add an exception in Sys Prefs / Security.

OK, forced it to run by using "sudo spctl --master-disable" in the terminal and now it works. I'd rather not have to do this though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanL

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Working? Not working?

Not working for me as MacOS won't open it and refuses to add an exception in Sys Prefs / Security.

OK, forced it to run by using "sudo spctl --master-disable" in the terminal and now it works. I'd rather not have to do this though.

Same, was not working and heavily depend on it on my Mac and iMac.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Anyone else have an issue with iPassword 7 and it's Safari extension? The extension seems to have been removed during the Catalina installation and no obvious way to reinstall it.

Scratch that: it just started working and the extension is now installed.

Last edited:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Has anyone tried X11/XQuartz yet? I depend on this heavily for work.
[doublepost=1559661178][/doublepost]
Working? Not working?

You might be able to get it to run without disabling Gatekeeper completely with these commands, from the spctl man page:

EXAMPLES

To check whether Mail.app is allowed to run on the local system:

spctl -a /Applications/Mail.app

To allow Frobozz.app to run on the local system:

spctl --add --label "My Stuff" /Applications/Frobozz.app

To forbid all code obtained from the Mac App Store from running:

spctl --disable --label "Mac App Store"

Reactions: adrianlondon

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Ugh Qemu.... Gatekeeper hell.... dylibs from unknown developers need to all be approved for "security" reasons..
Qemu so far is not working (used for emulating OS 9.2 etc)

KZrRepS.png
Ugh, oh no. I use Qemu heavily. Is there any way around that message?

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Anyone else have an issue with iPassword 7 and it's Safari extension? The extension seems to have been removed during the Catalina installation and no obvious way to reinstall it.

Scratch that: it just started working and the extension is now installed.

Seems like 6 won’t work anymore on Safari, sadly

Reactions: rbgaynor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.