Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Working for me. Example version: MS Word v16.25 Edit: I have Office 2019.

I downloaded it just to check and ... nope. It doesn't give the standard "this is 32-bit crap" message but it still doesn't work (there is no later version).

Aperture is prevented from launching because it links against QTKit, which was removed. It would simply crash on launch without that dialog. Same for QTP7.

oscarodas

macrumors regular
May 7, 2013
Sydney Australia
Avidemux and Freac not working on my iMac even though they are 64 Bit apps, in Finder the 32 bit apps have a no go sign, and I have deleted all non 64 apps, the two apps I'm referring to work ok until you try to save the proyect, it simply doesn't do anything and also doesn't give you an error.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
The launcher is. You can replace it with the 64-bit app from Application Support/Steam
[doublepost=1559709079][/doublepost]Docker is silently failing for me after booting up. :( :( :(
Wasn't aware, thank you, will update the launcher so I can play test for... umm stability :D

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Steam actually consists of two parts: a launcher (which is the thing you see in /Applications or whereever you installed it) and the actual client, which is buried within Steam's Application Support folder. The latter has been 64-bit for quite a while already, the launcher wasn't. The launcher also doesn't get updated automatically, which might explain the discrepancies some people here see.
How do I update the launcher? Redownload and replace?

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
How do I update the launcher? Redownload and replace?
That's the way to go. I'm just not 100% sure if there actually is a new version to redownload at the moment: I haven't checked myself yet and the reports I've seen on various forums are somewhat conflicting whether the current downloadable version of the launcher is really 64 bit.

There is a manual, somewhat hack-y way to update the launcher yourself, though: you can simply replace the executable in the launcher with the one from the actual client.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
That's the way to go. I'm just not 100% sure if there actually is a new version to redownload at the moment: I haven't checked myself yet and the reports I've seen on various forums are somewhat conflicting whether the current downloadable version of the launcher is really 64 bit.

There is a manual, somewhat hack-y way to update the launcher yourself, though: you can simply replace the executable in the launcher with the one from the actual client.
Ok thanks!

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
My up to date Steam installation didn't work, but uninstalling and downloading a fresh copy from Steam did - strange.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Bitdefender Endpoint Security - causes constant crashes and forced reboots.

Uninstalled and everything has been smooth as butter since.

bcbickers

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
MS Skype for Business (v16.22.64) worked briefly for me in a conference call - then 'quit unexpectedy'

Same here. Was working fine on two calls earlier this morning. Now it crashes a few seconds after joining a meeting. Chat sessions seem unaffected so far.

ahodes

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Bummer. Backblaze is a must. Has anyone else tried it? It should get added to the list of not working.

It seems to be related to the read-only System volume changes. I was able to get it going again by copying .bzvol from the data volume (I believe it was /System/Volumes/Data or something similar) to /.bzvol. It seems to be working OK for me, but that's not an official solution and I don't know if there could be any unintended side effects.

Time Machine is also broken for me in Catalina-- it just sits there saying "Backing up", but makes no progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.