Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Honestly, that sounds like a real nightmare. Have things changed since you guys last did your experiments?
After the stunt Apple pulled with 10.14 and APFS I knew it'd be hard with 10.15 but this is just ridiculous...

jowaju

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2019
I just took a working Catalina image from a supported Mac and ditto'd it using this as a basis. It was a ~40GB image and took a couple of hours to ditto over.

1. I rebooted to the supported Macs Recovery by holding down Cmd + R at startup. Open Disk Utility.

2. Format your replacement drive as HFS Journaled. I labeled this one HFS to make it easier.

3. Open image file with Disk Utility and rename partitions to make things easier. I chose APFS for the original drive label (and APFS - Data for the data partition)

4. Close Disk Utility. Open Terminal

5. Type the following commands :

ditto /Volumes/APFS/ /Volumes/HFS/
ditto "/Volumes/APFS - Data/" /Volumes/HFS/
ditto /Volumes/APFS/System/Library/Templates/Data/ /Volumes/HFS/
reboot

6. Choose the HFS hard drive from the boot EFI menu and boot single user mode Cmd + S

7. At the prompt type the following commands :

/sbin/mount -uw /
update_dyld_shared_cache -force
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
reboot

8. This booted normally from this point, but I later discovered it changed my Administrator login to a Standard User, so I had to reboot to Single User mode, run rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone. then create a new Admin account to give the old one admin rights.

9. This was EXCEPTIONALLY slow on a spinning hard drive, and marginally slow even on an external SSD. Once completed, I made an image and now both the APFS and HFS images work to restore Catalina. If you run the Catalina patcher tool, make sure you catch the "Force Rebuild option" before it reboots, it wouldn't boot on a non-supported mac for me without that step.

After trying so many times, I give up to clean install Catalina to MBR HFS+ for now.

By using @toru173's ditto method,
Finally, I got MBR HFS+ Catalina works perfectly now.:):)

(Hackintosh with Clover, BooterConfig=0x28, CsrActiveConfig=0x67)
This is what I do.

1. Use createinstallmedia to make an USB Catalina Installer.

2. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, and clean install Catalina to a blank APFS partition, and get "GPT1015", "GPT1015 - Data", two APFS partitions.

3. Boot to USB Catalina Installer, open Utilities -> Terminal, use ditto to copy files to MBR HFS+ partition "macOS1015":

DB1
ditto /Volumes/GPT1015/ /Volumes/macOS1015/
ditto /Volumes/GPT1015/System/Library/Templates/Data/Device/ /Volumes/macOS1015/
DB2
ditto /Volumes/GPT1015/ /Volumes/macOS1015/
ditto /Volumes/GPT1015/System/Library/Templates/Data/ /Volumes/macOS1015/

4. Boot to "macOS1015" MBR HFS+ partition on single user mode:

/sbin/mount -uw /
reboot

5. Reboot to "macOS1015" MBR HFS+ partition, and setup a user and login, finish the installation.
(Got Writable=Yes. I don't know why?)

Then, after login to "macOS1015" MBR HFS+ partition, everything works perfectly without slow speed on SSD.
It's the only solution for me till now.:):)
View attachment 844030

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
I just took a working Catalina image from a supported Mac and ditto'd it using this as a basis. It was a ~40GB image and took a couple of hours to ditto over.

1. I rebooted to the supported Macs Recovery by holding down Cmd + R at startup. Open Disk Utility.

2. Format your replacement drive as HFS Journaled. I labeled this one HFS to make it easier.

3. Open image file with Disk Utility and rename partitions to make things easier. I chose APFS for the original drive label (and APFS - Data for the data partition)

4. Close Disk Utility. Open Terminal

5. Type the following commands :

ditto /Volumes/APFS/ /Volumes/HFS/
ditto "/Volumes/APFS - Data/" /Volumes/HFS/
ditto /Volumes/APFS/System/Library/Templates/Data/ /Volumes/HFS/
reboot

6. Choose the HFS hard drive from the boot EFI menu and boot single user mode Cmd + S

7. At the prompt type the following commands :

/sbin/mount -uw /
reboot

8. This booted normally from this point, but I later discovered it changed my Administrator login to a Standard User, so I had to reboot to Single User mode, run rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone. then create a new Admin account to give the old one admin rights.

9. This was EXCEPTIONALLY slow on a spinning hard drive, and marginally slow even on an external SSD. Once completed, I made an image and now both the APFS and HFS images work to restore Catalina. If you run the Catalina patcher tool, make sure you catch the "Force Rebuild option" before it reboots, it wouldn't boot on a non-supported mac for me without that step.

The dosdude1 post-install won't work properly to "Force Rebuild cache" because was intended only for Catalina "dual apfs" (system/data), instead you can install all the required patches, a working way is to boot from "Catalina HFS" in single user mode (CMD+S) and then from shell type:

mount -uw /
chown -R 0:0 /S*/L*/E*/
chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*/
kextcache -i /
reboot

(I don't used "update_dyld_shared_cache -force" and Catalina HFS seems enough reactive)

However this method: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/catalina-on-hfs-a-howto.2185499/post-27513664
to install directly Catalina in HFS worked good, only "issue" is that you can't easily update re-installing over it a next Catalina release, I found a method to overcome this that is before upgrading Catalina (valid either for HFS and APFS) delete the /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
however after the HFS version upgrade, the previous "mac user" will become a standard folder (where you can find all the previous files and apps), and you have to set (exactly from AppleSetup welcome screen) a new user.

caincha

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I've done something similar using an external drive and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Clone your system to the external boot from external then reformat internal to HFS+ and clone external back.
It's easy just a bit time-consuming…

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
How are updates handled with this? Do you have to ditto the data volume every time? And in that case, do you lose any actual user data?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
How are updates handled with this? Do you have to ditto the data volume every time? And in that case, do you lose any actual user data?

The OTA updates are handled exactly as Mojave in HFS+, hence they are not detected and won't work.

Yes, you have to ditto the data volume after a manual OTA update or a new USB Catalina Installer version.

You won't lose the user data, but you will lose the user that will turn as a standard folder, so you need to recreate a new user (possibly with a different name) from AppleSetup screen.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
The OTA updates are handled as Mojave in HFS+, hence they are not detected and won't work.

Yes, you have to ditto the data volume after a manual OTA update or a new USB Catalina Installer version.

You won't lose the user data, but you will lose the user that will turn as a standard folder, so you need to recreate a new user from AppleSetup screen.
So, the user folders stay intact. AppleSetupDone is removed? What about the Library folder and the data within there?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
So, the user folders stay intact. AppleSetupDone is removed? What about the Library folder and the data within there?

The data in Library folder should be untouched, AppleSetupDone is not removed when use a USB Catalina installer updated version, but in case you could create a new user also from single user mode.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
The data in Library folder should be untouched, AppleSetupDone is not removed when use a USB Catalina installer updated version, but in case you could create a new user also from single user mode.
So all the files will stay intact, the files that are newer in the Data template will be copied though I assume? If AppleSetupDone is untouched, why do you need to create a new user?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
So all the files will stay intact, the files that are newer in the Data template will be copied though I assume? If AppleSetupDone is untouched, why do you need to create a new user?

I meant AppleSetupDone is not removed when using a manual OTA, using a full Installer is copied back again, I needed to re-create a new user because the HFS Catalina was unresponsive and many apps crashed.

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2018
I meant, AppleSetupDone is not removed when using a manual OTA, using a full Installer is copied back again, I needed to re-create a new user because the HFS Catalina was unresponsive and many apps crashed.
Oh okay. I'll research abit how ditto works with deciding wether or not to replace a file.
[automerge]1573991911[/automerge]
Unlike the Finder, the ditto command forcibly overwrites the contents of the destination folder with the contents of the source folder. Even if the source folder contains older files than the destination folder, the destination folder’s conflicting files will be overwritten with these older files.
Huh, this can't be good for avoiding data loss.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
ditto was good for a clean install as it maintains permissions. rsync might be better for an update as you can choose to preserve files at the destination

Considering that the updated apple OSX binaries are compiled by developers 2-3 days (or more) before the public "installer package" release, I guess this should work to copy with the proper owner/group permissions and keeping personal User's Library datas:

rsync -vrah /Volumes/CatalinaHFS/System/Library/Templates/Data/ /Volumes/CatalinaHFS/

but I still think that re-create a new user is needed even after the rsync.

Reactions: macinfo

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
(...I note that it's been almost two years since the last post....)

Questions:

1. Has a better or more streamlined procedure for implementing HFS+ hosted and 32bit-supporting Catalina been devised since the Crazybird procedure? (E.g., it occurs to me that MBR HFS+ may present issues given the Mac GUID default.)

2. What are the major rationales for using Catalina in such a manner over MacOS Mojave (which can be straight cloned into HFS+ using Carbon Copy Cloner 5 or Get Backup Pro? (Are there a great many useful apps that require Catalina as a minimum? Most such apps are already on the artificial-obsolescence merrygoround with Apple, Microsoft, and Adobe, and already have versions now requiring Big Sur or Monterey minimum.) Aside from a built-in ability to mirror to Apple tablets, I'm not seeing much stock that interests me. Unless I'm missing something.

3. Assuming a successful Catalina HFS+ configuration, is it then easy to make bootable backups using various clone utilities? What happens if cloned into a GUID HFS+ partition? (I note that Carbon Copy Cloner 5 will not open in Catalina, although I suppose it's possible to hack to, and that might not be necessary if the reason is that it was a 32bit app, and running those has been reenabled.)

4. I see frequent references to Clover, which I get the impression is a PC/hackintosh tool similar in function to OpenCoreLegacy on Macs. If so, does it offer any functionality over OCL on a Mac?

My goal is a bootable modern* MacOS I can fairly easily plop onto almost any refurbished intel-series machine, Mac or PC, from an external-drive. (Currently I have this in the form of MacOS Mojave, w/OpenCoreLegacy for Macs between 2008 and 2011, although High Sierra tends to run slightly better on those.)

(*"Modern" being defined to mean any OS still supported by current third-party browsers, as otherwise YouTube, Facebook, et al, will not function well or at all.)

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I've done something similar using an external drive and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Clone your system to the external boot from external then reformat internal to HFS+ and clone external back. It's easy just a bit time-consuming…
What "something similar" are you referring to? (If getting Catalina into HFS+ were a simple matter of running CCC, I doubt this whole thread would exist, or at least reach the length that it has.

(I am reasonably convinced that the hackintosh community is going to solve all of this relatively shortly, and MacOS HFS+/32bit will live on as a fork project that will run on any platform that isn't completely "closed"; I'd be tickled pink if they further re-added 16bit app support for depricated software from the CRT era.)

Last edited:

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I haven't looked at this thread in years, but I have some free time on my hands now and I better understand custom installers. Are there any particular apps you want me to test? I'm happy to try to bundle up a hacked installer that allows you to install to HFS+ without too much trouble.

To answer the second part of your questions, I built this method for exactly the same reason you mention - I needed a copy of Catalina I could just plop onto old Macs using ancient imaging tools!

Reactions: Minghold

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I haven't looked at this thread in years, but I have some free time on my hands now and I better understand custom installers. Are there any particular apps you want me to test? I'm happy to try to bundle up a hacked installer that allows you to install to HFS+ without too much trouble.
I have the following tools available: Carbon Copy Cloner (pretty much every version), Get Backup Pro, about forty iMacs for testing ranging from white ones to a 2019, several external drives (rotational, SSD, USB flash-stick), and lots of spare time.

Ambition: To get Catalina into an HFS+/32bit-enabled state that can then be "brainlessly" re-cloned at leisure. (I.e., without having to throw walls of code at a Recovery Partition's Terminal app to fix lingering issues.)

Additional wish-list items:

1) The user will never have to check for and disable Gatekeeper SIP on a new clone target destination; our procedures will deal with it automagically. So there won't be anymore of this nonsense where I have to sock in an old Yosemite flash-stick in order to run a version of Disk Utility that will actually erase the damned drive if SIP won't easily disable completely (looking suspisciously in the direction of Open Core Legacy EFI meddling) for some reason.

2) A laundry-list of irritating "features" in this more recent OS will be disabled at-launch. No more MRT, Spotlight Indexing (replacing this garbage with a hand-off to Find My File or Tembo would be the cat's meow), or auto-Cloud backups unless the user specifically enables them later on his own volition. (And we could probably include a tool to vet the LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons folders, as those seem to be common haunts of subscription-model phone-home components that are always slowing down boot-ups and splashing impending-doom alerts across the screen.) A major goal here is at-rest ram usage under 2.5gb, ideally under 2gb.

3) Pursuant to the last sentence of #2, this HFS+/32bit Catalina will be aimed at running well on 2008 to 2011 era "blackback" and "silverback" iMacs with rotational drives, e.g., your parent's desk computer, or the perfectly fine dropped-off machine that your local recycler will scrap if you don't give them ten bucks right now. There are probably over a dozen different models of these, and raiding the El Capitan kext set will probably be required to eliminate weird color and audio issues. (Tip: keep the 32bit games Peggle Nights and Angry Birds Seasons on hand, as they'll quickly identify any non-immediately-obvious a/v comparability problems.) Silverback era i3 and i7 machines were infamous for overheating issues, and Apple's own background processes thrashing the drive were largely to blame. The utility Max Fan Control set to boot-launch is a veritable requirement for operating these machines with a "California" OS (and just launching MFC isn't enough, as its default is "auto", which is woefully insufficient).

Personal anecdote: OpenCoreLegacy's kit-and-caboodle sets up a usable Mojave on machines of this era, but it appears that their library of drivers isn't complete, as on random models various bits of hardware won't run. Either that, or OCL's code makes assumptions based on the iMac X,y model number rather than "poking" existing widgets to determine what they actually are -- and since machines of this era were "open architecture" and loved for that reason -- there's a wide degree of customization and upgrading that went on.

4) Cloning will preserve the user's choice of desktop backgrounds, as well as custom volume and folder icons, both as they display on the desktop as well as appear on the option/alt-key startup list of bootable volumes. Cloning will also preserve the user's System Preferences settings. (This may be the fault of our cloning tools not accounting for SIP; in any event, it's still on the wish-list, and a patched & improved older version of CCC5 would be the ideal tool anyway.)

5) Ideally, our finalized Catalina HFS+/32bit version will run "native" on any intel-chip machine capable of booting Mountain Lion. I.e., it won't require an OCL-style EFI boot-loader. All version-checking will be disabled; if an app doesn't run, it'll be because you launched it and it crashed, not because the OS arbitrarily wagged its finger. (Does there exist a utility which prompts your OS to mimic another version, at least as far as an app's requirements are concerned? Typically such app checks are in the form of 10.x.y queries.)

To answer the second part of your questions, I built this method for exactly the same reason you mention - I needed a copy of Catalina I could just plop onto old Macs using ancient imaging tools!
I consider every Mac (well, iMacs anyway) made from 2012 onward (the "thinside era") to be essentially modern. It is at this point that the architectures of basically all computers became fast enough to eclipse most human attention spans. I.e., you no longer waited for your computer, it waited for you. Only tortuously long processes (multi-hour render projects) or ailing rotational-drives (which Apple was happy to assist in the destruction of via APFS, MRT, and Spotlight thrashing) would readily demonstrate subjective differences in speed among identical-in-appearance 2012 and 2020 machines for a typical user. Manufacturers would now have to devise artificial contrivences to "obsolesce" their prior years machines rather than simply relying on manifest differences in capability. E.g., changing the ports every five years, or having an OS check for the presence of a Retina screen or a particular iteration of wireless driver. For example, I have a 3.4 ghz i7 2012 "pro model" with a 1.121tb Fusion drive that is objectively faster than a 3.0 ghz i5 2019 "base model" spinning a vanilla 1TB platter. --It is pure-from-the-cow BS that the 2019 is rated kosher for Ventura while the 2012 is precluded from running Big Sur. I have a 2009 3.6ghz core2duo that is faster than that 2019.

Anyway....

Getting the most bug-free and most software-encompassing HFS+/32bit MacOS to run on the widest variety of machines is the goal. And the focus should not necessarily be "ancient" machines, but also the newer ones. Apple will eventually (and more quickly than we think) deprecate Mojave and Catalina entirely, and APFS-mandatory Big Sur will become the minimum "official" OS. If we want to maintain the raw speed advantages of combining HFS+ with a vast library of existing 32bit software on ever newer machines, while eliminating the constant data-harvesting of MRT, Spotlight, and various Cloud auto-backup "features", this is the way to go. (Our HFS+/32bit preservation attempts will at some near point merge with the interests of Hackintosh brethren seeking i9, AMD, and Mx compatibility, and maintaining faux modernity with the most recent OS capable of running the latest subscription bloatware will be the last of our concerns.)

toru173

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I said ancient imaging tools, not ancient machines. I meant using Disk Utility from the era of 10.4-10.6, before Apple nixed the per-file imaging option! I’ll see what I can come up with but that’s a long laundry list. I don’t have any black-back machines, but I have a range of white and silver-back machines including a couple of 2009 and a 2015 iMacs.

I think if I start with an installer that will put vanilla Catalina on an HFS+ volume with no user input beyond what the normal installer requires, we could go from there?

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
I think if I start with an installer that will put vanilla Catalina on an HFS+ volume with no user input beyond what the normal installer requires, we could go from there?
Yes, let's just concentrate on that for now. First things first. Older machine support and other post-op tweaking can wait. (By the by, what does Catalina offer over Mojave besides Sidecar and a higher OS version-number?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.