Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenicekk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
One week before the launch of the iPhone 12, my iPhone 11 pro battery dropped from 94% to 93%. On the day of Keynote it dropped to 92%. In the next 6 days it dropped to 91%. So every 6 days my battery drops by 1%. When I consult with friends they tell me the same information. Is it another scam on Apple to force the customer to buy a new iPhone? Yes it sounds completely absurd. But this is the same case as years ago when Apple began to slow down phone performance. From the beginning, I am extremely careful about the battery of my iPhone, I never discharge the phone below 20%, I almost never charge it to 100%. How is it possible that I have 91% after 10 months. My girlfriend has used my iphone 8 91% after two years ... How is your battery?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
One week before the launch of the iPhone 12, my iPhone 11 pro battery dropped from 94% to 93%. On the day of Keynote it dropped to 92%. In the next 6 days it dropped to 91%. So every 6 days my battery drops by 1%. When I consult with friends they tell me the same information. Is it another scam on Apple to force the customer to buy a new iPhone? Yes it sounds completely absurd. But this is the same case as years ago when Apple began to slow down phone performance. From the beginning, I am extremely careful about the battery of my iPhone, I never discharge the phone below 20%, I almost never charge it to 100%. How is it possible that I have 91% after 10 months. My girlfriend has used my iphone 8 91% after two years ... How are you?

They’re is a reason the phones were slowed down, it’s widely documented. Its because without doing so the batteries would have potentially been dangerous in older devices.

And no it’s not Apple making your battery life go down, more likely how or what your using to charge it with and heavy usage.

Maybe you should try charging to 100% and letting it run down, never done me any harm and I leave mine charging all night with a 5w plug in charger.

Launch day iPhone 11 Pro on 100%

Launch day iPhone SE 2020 but used super heavily for work 98%

Launch day iPhone 11 in the same household also on 100% and no sudden health drop just as the new phone is released.

If it was programmed in, it would have occurred in September when the phones were due, not now as they should be out now.

Plus someone would have found some code to cause this and Apple would be in trouble. It does not happen.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
One week before the launch of the iPhone 12, my iPhone 11 pro battery dropped from 94% to 93%. On the day of Keynote it dropped to 92%. In the next 6 days it dropped to 91%. So every 6 days my battery drops by 1%. When I consult with friends they tell me the same information. Is it another scam on Apple to force the customer to buy a new iPhone? Yes it sounds completely absurd. But this is the same case as years ago when Apple began to slow down phone performance. From the beginning, I am extremely careful about the battery of my iPhone, I never discharge the phone below 20%, I almost never charge it to 100%. How is it possible that I have 91% after 10 months. My girlfriend has used my iphone 8 91% after two years ... How is your battery?

my 11 pro max is at 90% and I am pissed. This makes the resale value terrible as you need 95 or better to get good money.
I want to know if using a fast charger or wireless is causing it to rapidly go down?!

Reactions: motulist

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
/thread.

Also, why would 91% battery health motivate anyone anywhere to upgrade their phone? That isn't a reason.

Yes it is, if you take ur phone to get battery tested during the 1 year warranty and it tests in the 80’s they will replace it.

how you use it definitely is a factor but I have never seen my percentage drop this much and I have got everyone every year.

Reactions: motulist

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Crazy, I just checked and I am getting the same. Down to 94% from 96% 2 weeks ago.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hmmm…my launch weekend iPhone 6s+ with original battery (never been replaced).

It's been through three summers of 110º+ Phoenix heat for 30 minutes or more in a car with no A/C and windows closed on top of everything else I've used it for.

2020-10-19 14.00.39.jpg

Your 11 sounds pretty bad. ;)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
my 11 pro max is at 90% and I am pissed. This makes the resale value terrible as you need 95 or better to get good money.
I want to know if using a fast charger or wireless is causing it to rapidly go down?!
There is no reason to be pissed. The phone has worked as it should. Apple doesn’t owe you a high resell value. Get the battery replaced or live with the fact you are a heavy iPhone user.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
There is no reason to be pissed. The phone has worked as it should. Apple doesn’t owe you a high resell value. Get the battery replaced or live with the fact you are a heavy iPhone user.

dude give me A break

1.Not one phone has done this to me, NOT ONE! I have always had 94/95% after a year. So yes I do have a reason to be pissed when I pay $1350 and it doesn’t hold a charge as good as it should or has having it less than a year. And I lose more value on it in the end then normal.

2. don’t start acting like a Trump supporter and open ur mouth for something that has nothing to do with you. We have the right to be mad and talk about it. And if you don’t like it don’t comment. Don’t try and silence us, we have a voice and we can use it whenever and however...
Do I think it’s a conspiracy,
No. Do I think something with the phone, software and charging are making it worse then normal. Yes.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
dude give me A break

1.Not one phone has done this to me, NOT ONE! I have always had 94/95% after a year. So yes I do have a reason to be pissed when I pay $1350 and it doesn’t hold a charge as good as it should or has having it less than a year. And I lose more value on it in the end then normal.

2. don’t start acting like a Trump supporter and open ur mouth for something that has nothing to do with you. We have the right to be mad and talk about it. And if you don’t like it don’t comment. Don’t try and silence us, we have a voice and we can use it whenever and however...
No. Do I think something with the phone, software and charging are making it worse then normal. Yes.
I haven’t tried to silence you. I don’t know why you have gone off on a meaningless off-topic rant here. I didn’t ask you if this is a conspiracy, so there was no need for you to ask a question of yourself and then answer it.

If you want to pay $1350 a year for a phone only to turn around and sell it at a loss, and then gripe about resell value on here, go right ahead. No one is stopping you from posting.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'm at 96% on a launch day XS Max. Upgrading to the 12 Pro Max because I've always had Bluetooth/AirDrop quirks on my XS Max, but the battery is still pretty great on my XS Max.

Reactions: Tsepz

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I never discharge the phone below 20%, I almost never charge it to 100%.
I always say the more you baby the battery the quicker it wears.

My two year old max is at 88% & I charge overnight every single night.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
dude give me A break

To the one actually acting like a T supporter.....<looks at you>.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
You know, with threads such as this, I now know why Apple used to keep Battery Health a secret from its users. Given my oldest, an iPhone 4, still lasts a couple days on its 10-year old battery, why on earth do I give a damn about battery health?!

Quite frankly, why do you all? My Mom's old 6S was at 65% battery health but she kept using the darned thing!

Heck, my oldest Samsung phones are 8 years old. I have no clue what their battery health is either, but so long as it's lasting a few days per charge, why care? I'd be pissed if I suddenly went from two days per charge to say 8 hours. I have a huge doubt you have that issue. Stop paying so much attention to the damn battery health thing. Just turn it off. It's as useless as Screen Time.

Reactions: Tsepz and eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you ever use the cable to charge at night? If you do your battery health is likely going to be better
Is there a lot of truth in that?

I ask because every smartphone I've had since 2009 has been put on charger with the screen on all night (bedside clock/alarm).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You know, with threads such as this, I now know why Apple used to keep Battery Health a secret from its users. Given my oldest, an iPhone 4, still lasts a couple days on its 10-year old battery, why on earth do I give a damn about battery health?!

Quite frankly, why do you all? My Mom's old 6S was at 65% battery health but she kept using the darned thing!

Heck, my oldest Samsung phones are 8 years old. I have no clue what their battery health is either, but so long as it's lasting a few days per charge, why care? I'd be pissed if I suddenly went from two days per charge to say 8 hours. I have a huge doubt you have that issue. Stop paying so much attention to the damn battery health thing. Just turn it off. It's as useless as Screen Time.
Generally, I have to agree.

I've had at least two phones where they were on the charger all night as a bedside clock, and then got plugged in all day when at work. Between those times the battery was still good enough to not worry about using the phone.

Short of the phone functioning like my PowerBook G4 where it shuts off about 30 seconds after disconnect from power, battery health isn't a big thing to me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.