Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My PowerBook G4 still makes 30 minutes playing podcasts, so there's that! No idea what its 20-year old battery pack health is though!

I don't use my main phone, a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Gee, T-mobile, what a mouthful!) as a bedside clock but it takes so little time to charge it every evening (like around 90 minutes max from 50% after a day at work playing music) that it sits in my bed cubby doing the job of an alarm clock, well, my second alarm if I choose to sleep in. I got an old Galaxy Note doing the 6:30 alarm, which I can say 'STOP' to dismiss it without touching it, while the S Relay is my 7:30 alarm if I chose to sleep another hour.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
my 11 pro max is at 90% and I am pissed. This makes the resale value terrible as you need 95 or better to get good money.
I want to know if using a fast charger or wireless is causing it to rapidly go down?!

The faster you charge the battery, the more wear you put on the battery. Wireless charging also creates heat which also kills the battery faster.

This video explains it well.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
My Xs is at 100%. No conspiracy here.

IMG_6248.jpeg

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
I had no issues with Apple taking steps to lighten the load on my old devices.. it's kind of well known that newer OS releases .. tend to stretch older hardware releases..

No good deed goes unpunished.

It's like there's a team of ambulance chasers .. technology chasers.. looking for a lawsuit reason on anything newly released.

...and honestly, these "class action" things are a total joke, a mockery, and a waste of time. The only ones that win are the mouthpieces. Everyone else? Oh, here's a coupon .. "because we know you're going to spend money with us again .. (and these don't cost us a thing, in fact, we get a write off due to advertising and promotions..)"

Take your coupon and stick it.

jenicekk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
my 11 pro max is at 90% and I am pissed. This makes the resale value terrible as you need 95 or better to get good money.
I want to know if using a fast charger or wireless is causing it to rapidly go down?!

This is exactly my problem, every year I buy a new Iphone and I try to sell the old one. With a battery of 91% and lower, the problem is selling the phone for good money.

/thread.

Also, why would 91% battery health motivate anyone anywhere to upgrade their phone? That isn't a reason.
Because this is the last chance to sell the iPhone for good money. Below 90%, the iPhone is difficult to sell and you have to cut the price

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: theliellama

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Take your tinfoil hat off and recycle it Apple does not make anyone buy a new phone since you could use that recycling money for a new battery if you don’t like your battery health

Reactions: Shreducator

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Launch day 11 Pro Max at 98%. Wireless charge it nightly. Intermittent plugged in charging in the car via CarPlay.

Reactions: Shreducator

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I don't think there is a conspiracy, I think that measuring battery health isn't an exact science.

I'm torn between going from my current Pixel 4XL, to an iPhone 12 Pro Max, or just stealing my wife's old XS Max with 92% battery. If I go the later route, I'll just pay the $69 to have the battery replaced if the battery life becomes an issue.

barbeyg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
My iPhone 7 is still at 89% battery. Didn't drop after the announcement....but then they've probably given up on me. ?

I am getting the Pro Max.

Illini Al

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2019
Bolingbrook, IL
XS is at 89% and has been there for about 3 months.
Why are people complaining about the percentage dropping? Do they all expect the battery to remain at the same level as it was when it as new? I've had my XS for 2 years and it's gone from 100% down to 89%. I have ZERO problem with that.

Shreducator

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2020
I’m currently at 97% capacity on my 11 Pro Max that I’ve been using since launch day. I lost that 3% early with the phone while using fast charging and wireless charging. I then switched over to only using the 5W charger as much as possible. Disclaimer I am no power user. My advice is for people to use the the 5W charger when possible. Everyone should be objective about their phone use and take off the tinfoil hat.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm not sure about how Apple does it, but on Android, there's such a thing as a 'APK teardown' to find out what services or apps are really doing behind the scenes, and a great way to weed out known malware (like 'battery savers') and these developer tools can even do tear downs of system-level apps/services as well.

I am just curious what 'battery health' is really doing. Is it more like an 'hour meter' of sorts, or some way for Apple to know how old a phone is? I would love to see a teardown of the service to find out if it's really legit or total phooey.

I'm betting the latter. Mom's 6S even with 65% battery 'health' still made a day or so per charge, so the health reading to me is total bunk. If there were a noticeable difference in battery health to that magnitude, it would likely be shutting the phone down at 50% charge or show a noticeable degradation in capacity, or would take longer to charge or something.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Did she just use it as a phone? A lot of people on here spend like 15 hours a day staring at their screen. If you aren’t using the phone as a computer it should last a day or so easily. More if it’s got a good battery. Since I don’t use my phone as a phone I plug it in every night ?

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Actually, she used it to Facebook, iMessage, Facetime, call, etc the works. It was a micro tablet to her. I think she also played Trivia Crack or other games. It spent most of its time at her house on a charger 24/7 (likely what reduced the health reading) but it still went quite a long while off the charger as well.

She was using it until late 2019 when she got an 11 Pro.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Is that funny? Ask Mom if she wears tin-foil hats?

If you don't have something on the subject, do something more useful

#1 - You asked: "How is your battery?" and I answered that question in the second sentence of my reply.

#2 - You never mentioned your mother until now - your OP states "When I consult with friends they tell me the same information."

#3 - Yes, it was funny.

3qzg9h.jpg

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
A couple of weeks shy of three years and my iPhone‘s battery health is at 86%. No sudden changes after any OS updates/upgrades. Charged every other day or so, typically a full cycle. I’m not concerned, even with an intention to keep this iPhone another 1-3 years.
I'd be pissed if I suddenly went from two days per charge to say 8 hours.
In the case of my iPad 2, which I only use occasionally now, I’d be completely fine with that drop in runtime if apps would stop crashing. However, I don’t think it works that way, and not worth spending $100 on a battery replacement.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I bought a new SE for my wife about 4-5 months ago, its already dropped 2%, about the same as my old 7 after about the same amount of time. Our old 7s are about 3 years old and mine is at 83% and hers is at 86%, her battery is 9 months newer than mine. I'm ok with it. Some people act like getting a battery replaced is the end of the world. I have no problem letting apple work on my phone, because 95% of the time my phone will leave the store nicer than when it came in.

Reactions: johnparjr

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
How is your battery?

My battery is fine. I use it when I want. Charge it when I need to. Haven't checked battery health since we gained the ability to do so. And will upgrade when I want a new phone, not when the battery dictates. This year I'm replacing my XS Max because it has a broken screen. Don't know or care about the battery health as long as it continues to get the job done.

I used to baby my battery too. Then I realized I was replacing my phone every other year and my gentle care didn't mean squat in the long run. I was on a new phone before the batteries ever became noticeably bad on the old one.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
To be honest, I don't know nor care what the battery health is on my 8-9 year-old devices either, they all make a day plus per charge, last through work, I don't have battery anxiety at all, and on top of all that, they're all removable so my phone doesn't die with the battery like newer stuff does. More future proof and all that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.