Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenicekk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Another 7 days passed and again 1% gone. Every week 1% away is ok by tin foli hats idi*s?

Snímek obrazovky 2020-10-25 v 17.27.18.png

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
You know, with threads such as this, I now know why Apple used to keep Battery Health a secret from its users. Given my oldest, an iPhone 4, still lasts a couple days on its 10-year old battery, why on earth do I give a damn about battery health?!

Quite frankly, why do you all? My Mom's old 6S was at 65% battery health but she kept using the darned thing!

Heck, my oldest Samsung phones are 8 years old. I have no clue what their battery health is either, but so long as it's lasting a few days per charge, why care? I'd be pissed if I suddenly went from two days per charge to say 8 hours. I have a huge doubt you have that issue. Stop paying so much attention to the damn battery health thing. Just turn it off. It's as useless as Screen Time.
Agreed, my 11 Pro Max is at 97% but I have not actually felt it in terms of Battery Life, it’s still damn good as it was at 100% health.

I feel like people are simply obsessing over a number versus how long the phone actually lasts, lol.
Also the battery health number is an estimate, I see some people get a different figure when they use Coconut Battery, it’s all rather hilarious, Apple should not have shown this number.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Here's an odd bug of sorts. If my Mac for example is running so hot as to make the fans run full speed (i.e., playing games or watching 4K video) the batterty health in my Battery Medic app shows it dropping as low as 88%, but when it cools down, it jumps back to either 99% to 100% again.

I wish an Apple-version of an APK teardown existed at the development level. I'm curious what the health reading is going by.

The only real advantage of Apple giving this option to its users is being given the choice now to disable slowing the CPU down on the last OS update. People always accused Apple of intentionally slowing down older iPhones with the last iOS update, and they caved by giving us the option to turn it off now, but I think the reason they did that was when many people's iPhone 5's were blue screening of death due to running too fast with reduced battery capacity.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yeah ... ever since the latest versions of Mac OS - our laptop's capacity has been fluctuating significantly. I don't know if this is due to health options that Apple does behind the scenes to extend life or not... but .... so far we haven't seen this on our phones - just our Macs.

Another 7 days passed and again 1% gone. Every week 1% away is ok by tin foli hats idi*s?

View attachment 973983

As a certified tin foiled hat idiot, I can tell you that 1% a week is not normal. I've watched all my phones (almost weekly) since my 6+ (I have excel documents dating back years) - recording capacity vs design capacity. Losing 1% a week has never happened to me or anyone I know. Keep an eye on that.

Do you have AppleCare+? Once that drops below 80% you could have a battery replacement possibly from Apple. Though, their phone checking hardware doesn't check capacity but rather voltage so - I've had Apple Stores refuse to replace cuz they saw "green" when I saw 60%. Second store I tried, they did it with no questions asked.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Oh I am certain there's multiple theories, but that's just it. They're theories. I do remember news about all the BSoDs of the iPhone 5's, and they determined it was due to the battery being unable to keep everything running full speed. Apple probably reduced speeds for that one reason alone.

Apple supports devices 4 years with the 5th year being the slowdown, but I think they want folks lining up for new stuff every year. They adore consumerism no matter the costs.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Oh I am certain there's multiple theories, but that's just it. They're theories. I do remember news about all the BSoDs of the iPhone 5's, and they determined it was due to the battery being unable to keep everything running full speed. Apple probably reduced speeds for that one reason alone.

Apple supports devices 4 years with the 5th year being the slowdown, but I think they want folks lining up for new stuff every year. They adore consumerism no matter the costs.

Companies gotta make those shareholders happy at all cost. It's all about profits TODAY! While I think Apple does better than most companies have (Dell - the story of how Michael Dell had to buy back his company) - there is a certain death sentence to guaranteeing profit today at the expense of tomorrow.

If products lasted forever, companies would go out of business. I've been stung by Samsung devices that never got updated back in the day. I do wish things would last a bit longer but ... I'm very guilty of upgrading without having to (Apple Upgrade Plan, etc) so I can't speak. lol.

• Love
Reactions: shadyman

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
the lack of updates is precisely why I like my older Samsung stuff. After iOS 7's sterile look I was happy when Samsung didn't ruin the Galaxy SIII, Note 2, S4 and S Relay phones with a flat UI design update. They saved that mess for later models. Ensuring I can enjoy my skeuo without being forced to go flat via an un-dismissable system update. Also, if my apps keep working, I don't update them. That avoids the slowdowns that are considered 'features' of Android. I've been burned multiple times by updates rearranging useful options or burying them under many different redundant menus (is it the hamburger menu? the three dots? or the gear? I just want to access Settings for crying out loud!) so I now err on the side of caution and never update unless an app requires it.

But I do wonder how companies didn't go out of business back in say the 60s-80s? They relied on customer satisfaction as their top priority, and folks simply wouldn't buy a device that fell apart in a year or less. They depended on that 20-plus year lifespan. As Zenith used to say, 'the quality goes in before the name goes on'. I still got a System 3 TV in my garage that runs today, despite being 31 years old. Never has been cracked open. Lucky I suppose.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

jenicekk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
Now Apple has admitted that there is an error in capacity measurement and beta 6 14.5 recalibrates the battery. Chance?

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
@jenicekk. You are spot on in your assumptions. Apple pull shady tactics like that when new phones are being released etc. Then come around after the initial sales boom and say it was a "BUG". Just deal with it. Your phone is fine, and the announced "fix" will be your ticket back to getting the most money for your device when selling it. Thankfully our two iphones missed this "bug". But then again, we bought ours after the 12's were out. I always watch for these so called bugs etc to pop up around july or august every year and then after christmas wait for the "fix" to come. I used to flip out at my phone when I had my 6s and wierd things started happening, then after the 7 was released and sold for christmas rush, my 6s went back to being itself again. I still have it and it's still sitting at 85 percent battery life. I accept that my phones will act up a few months before release of a new iphone, then go back to normal after christmas.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
my iPhone 6S, iOS 14, a phone that launched in 2015, now 6 years old, only now just showing 97% battery health.

Only thing that really kills the battery time is YouTube Music (man, is that app unstable!)

Apple products have always lasted far longer than the competition, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Now, if you like getting the latest model each year or two (quite n unsustainable mindset, IMO) and don't pay outright for it, and treat it like trash and it's got dents and a busted up screen a few years later, that's not something you can blame on Apple. I have a Galaxy Note 10.1, a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, my iPhone 6S, and many other older devices that remain pristine today since I take great care of them as I only want to buy them once, and feel no need to update (and I prefer watching my money roll in instead of spending it all the time on needless 'updates')

CarlosDanger

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2020
dude give me A break

1.Not one phone has done this to me, NOT ONE! I have always had 94/95% after a year. So yes I do have a reason to be pissed when I pay $1350 and it doesn’t hold a charge as good as it should or has having it less than a year. And I lose more value on it in the end then normal.

2. don’t start acting like a Trump supporter and open ur mouth for something that has nothing to do with you. We have the right to be mad and talk about it. And if you don’t like it don’t comment. Don’t try and silence us, we have a voice and we can use it whenever and however...
Do I think it’s a conspiracy,
No. Do I think something with the phone, software and charging are making it worse then normal. Yes.
This is the first thread I'm subscribing to. I'm not sure if you're a fool or a troll. Either way, I'm just here for your moronic comments. Please don't let anyone silence you. I need a good laugh at your expense!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.