Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
The thing one must understand about Apple's relationship with China is that Tim Cook is China's bumboy.
He's going to do whatever his masters in Beijing tell him to do. Just like a lot of other morally corrupt western corporations.

Reactions: makitango

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The thing one must understand about Apple's relationship with China is that Tim Cook is China's bumboy.
He's going to do whatever his masters in Beijing tell him to do. Just like a lot of other morally corrupt western corporations.
We are all morally bankrupt in that sense. Half the stuff we buy is from China, including all of our iDevices. I don’t see many people boycotting Chinese products, if that’s even possible these days.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The guy who took his girlfriend to Taiwan and killed her is pretty much a free man now in Hong Kong because Hong Kong refused Taiwan's extradition request to have him extradited back to Taiwan to face murder charges. The Hong Kong father of the girl and her family members are quite unhappy that the killer of their daughter was not extradited back to Taiwan to face murder charges. This is one of the main reasons this extradition law was passed at the time which was to send a message that if you commit such a crime between China, Taiwan and Hong Kong you will be extradited to that country to face charges. The bad part was that the law was not so specific and clear on what sorts of crimes this would apply for and to which I think was a mistake. They could have easily resolved this be specifying specifically what crimes it would apply to but they did not do so. For those comaining about this just look at what Trump said about the wife of the Diplomat which recently killed a biker in the UK. Trump pretty much also does not want to send her back and keep in mind that the UK and the US do have an extradition treaty in place. You can see the double standards and hypocrisy here, right..?
That case is sad but it’s an individual case and in the bigger picture is far less significant than a blanket law allowing Hong Kong citizens to be extradited to China. The latter is a dictatorship with a history of torture, imprisonment and killing of its own people, with zero transparency or accountability. The people of Hong Kong were right to fight like hell against this.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
That case is sad but it’s an individual case and in the bigger picture is far less significant than a blanket law allowing Hong Kong citizens to be extradited to China. The latter is a dictatorship with a history of torture, imprisonment and killing of its own people, with zero transparency or accountability. The people of Hong Kong were right to fight like hell against this.
What you say is true and I can not deny that but this extradition law pretty much started because of this murder. I am not brushing aside what you said though. Both sides need to compromise a bit on this extradition issue. It needs to be more clear for murder and not for freedom of speech. I am 50/50 on this protest. Both sides have some points.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m disgusted about Chinese regime...
Yes we buy our $1000 phones, AirPods, iPads, cheap amazon products, water bottles, etc... all going into their pockets. Just saying.
[automerge]1570685915[/automerge]
If Apple are smart, they will ramp up production of iPhones and other products here in the US, or at least in other democracies, so that they do not have to kowtow to the dictatorship in Beijing. It may cause costs to rise, but that's OK -- better to pay the proper cost of something and have a clear conscience than to pay less at the cost of supporting things that are bad.
(Sarcasm) But what about their share holders!!!!! You gotta think about Apple share holders.
[automerge]1570686067[/automerge]
Yes we buy our $1000 phones, AirPods, iPads, cheap amazon products, water bottles, etc... all going into their pockets. Just saying.

(Sarcasm) But what about their share holders!!!!! You gotta think about Apple share holders.

You know, it’s almost impossible to find items not made in China. I’m looking for a super nice aluminum water botttles, that’s insulated and stylish. I have 2 hydro flask and love the water bottle design. It so $$$ that you would think it’s made in the USA. It’s not! It’s made in freaking China. And I cannot find a nice stylish water bottle that’s insulated and made by an American company. It’s impossible!! And it sucks man. I want to pay $$$ and support our economy but we can’t buy anything.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
We are all morally bankrupt in that sense. Half the stuff we buy is from China, including all of our iDevices. I don’t see many people boycotting Chinese products, if that’s even possible these days.
Exactly that’s how we get even but got forbid Walmart goes out of business

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

[automerge]1570686067[/automerge]

You know, it’s almost impossible to find items not made in China. I’m looking for a super nice aluminum water botttles, that’s insulated and stylish. I have 2 hydro flask and love the water bottle design. It so $$$ that you would think it’s made in the USA. It’s not! It’s made in freaking China. And I cannot find a nice stylish water bottle that’s insulated and made by an American company. It’s impossible!! And it sucks man. I want to pay $$$ and support our economy but we can’t buy anything.
Japan has super nice aluminum coffee cans. Those things are good. I couldn’t resist buying one of those when I saw them. Talk about quality.

9409AC61-53C1-4571-9A7B-46626DED84BE.jpeg

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
This is not an app one would want to have on their smartphone when crossing into China from HK.
On the other hand in the US “Waze” was under pressure from the government as well for allowing locations of Police to be shown and for pictures to be uploaded of where Police are at. They removed the part from the app where pictures of Police can be uploaded on the App.

Looks like app got removed

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
You're right that Blizzard has every right to interpret their competition rules as they see fit. They also have the right to punish those who they deem to break the rules.
Here's the rule they referenced:

2019 HEARTHSTONE® GRANDMASTERS OFFICIAL COMPETITION RULES v1.4 p.12, Section 6.1 (o)
Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.

Your characterization of representing Blizzard after agreeing to a contract is wrong. The guy was a gamer entering a tournament. He broke a competition rule. He didn't violate a contract. There's a big difference.

Companies are scared $#!+^*&& to lose that Chinese money. They realize investors generally don't care for moralizing and stances. They care about money. Lose their money, lose your job. Cause a little internet outrage... meh. The outraged will move on because there's always going to be something else to be outraged about in life.

I generally agree with you but I don’t think there is a big difference. I think legally when he agrees to compete within their rules and tournament its a binding legal contract. At least thats how the laws interpret it. Again. I agree with you and with his sentiments.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m sure Apple appreciates your concern, but manufacturing is already moving away from China as wages there increase, and it becomes higher and higher cost (regardless of tariffs).

India will likely be the main beneficiary of such a move. Foxconn has already said it has sufficient capacity outside China to manufacture product destined for the US.
Thebulk of Apple’s product sales is outside of the USA

Reactions: stylinexpat

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Thebulk of Apple’s product sales is outside of the USA
At the end of the day Apple is a business and their decisions must be made from a business perspective. Their business is an international one too so their policies must adhere to local cultures and local policies in accordance with local laws. This applies to all businesses that do business internationally

Reactions: I7guy and Solomani

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
And those that say Apple is corrupt, will instead buy Samsung products which majority of components also come from China.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
And those that say Apple is corrupt, will instead buy Samsung products which majority of components also come from China.
Not sure if you know but Samsung pretty much gave up on their smartphones business in China closing most of their manufacturers here due to heavy local competition. Chinese are very very competitive. Not easy to compete with them.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Not sure if you know but Samsung pretty much gave up on their smartphones business in China closing most of their manufacturers here due to heavy local competition. Chinese are very very competitive. Not easy to compete with them.
Yes they’re subsidized by the government. So it’s hard for other companies to compete. Shoot we can buy items in China for $8 and they will ship it to the USA for free. Subsidies from the government. Free shipping over seas. Who can compete with that! You can’t so you give up the largest market in the world with 1.4 billion people and the largest middle class with newly found spending power.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Yes they’re subsidized by the government. So it’s hard for other companies to compete. Shoot we can buy items in China for $8 and they will ship it to the USA for free. Subsidies from the government. Free shipping over seas. Who can compete with that! You can’t so you give up the largest market in the world with 1.4 billion people and the largest middle class with newly found spending power.

Every country has some sort of subsidies. Helping their companies and manufacturers out is a way of helping their people out via work. Their logic behind it is we work together. In a way it is actually good. Look at US commodity prices and USD which is also backed by the FED. One could say that it is subsidized as well.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
LOL you are not seriously making the comparison of unarmed “protestors” who are advocating for democracy (elections and civil liberties) to a militia group that kidnaps tortures and beheads people on video and then circulates those videos online and to press outlets?

Yes I am serious, and no I am not comparing the "protestors" to the military groups, and I do agree that they should have their voice and I support whatever they want that's best for Hong Kong and the people in Hong Kong.

What I was comparing to are those rioters that destroying banks and banks, attacking police, and fighting people have different voices to them... Just YouTube HK related violence, anything other than CNN, BBC, Fox and etc will report... It's pretty bloody and is wrong.... There is one video a rioter literally stabbed a policeman on the neck.

Check how they attack the police and causing social unrest, and cause many people in HK lose their jobs then come back to me if this app should be remove or not!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.