Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are some of your favourite Classical music periods

• Medieval

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Renaissance

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Baroque

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Classic Classical

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • Romantic

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Modern Classical

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Contemorary Classical

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Tango

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Other ?

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • All the above

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Flamenco

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • 0pera

Votes: 12 24.0%

• Total voters

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Rediscovered this piece while watching a cat clip on IG of all places.

Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Superb choice.

And, in keeping with the tone, and theme, not to mention the era (Baroque), and actual composer, (G F Handel), I am now listening to the piece usually referred to as Zadoc the Priest (Handel's Coronation Anthem No 1).

Reactions: decafjava and mikzn

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Superb choice.

And, in keeping with the tone, and theme, not to mention the era (Baroque), and actual composer, (G F Handel), I am now listening to the piece usually referred to as Zadoc the Priest (Handel's Coronation Anthem No 1).

The Academy Of Ancient Music - A Fesitval of Handel - 1990

Working my way thru the "Water Music"

handel-1990.png

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Rachmaninoff plays his piano concerto 2 in C minor, Op 18

Plus a nice version of the Adagio Sostenuto 2 0f 3
You need to watch "Shine", a film about David Helfgott and his struggle with his father and learning to play Rachmaninoff's PC #2. A very difficult film to watch at times. Geoffrey Rush won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Helfgott. The performance of the concerto is worth the pain of watching his life. One of my favorite classical performances.
Liner note: "..the power and the poetry of the story lay in the emotional journey of an artist who finds himself consumed by the very medium he is struggling to conquer."

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
You need to watch "Shine", a film about David Helfgott and his struggle with his father and learning to play Rachmaninoff's PC #2. A very difficult film to watch at times. Geoffrey Rush won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Helfgott. The performance of the concerto is worth the pain of watching his life. One of my favorite classical performances.
Liner note: "..the power and the poetry of the story lay in the emotional journey of an artist who finds himself consumed by the very medium he is struggling to conquer."
I was fortunate enough to attend David Helfgott in Recital in Sydney Opera House in Oct 2016. Nothing like a typical recital, but strangely moving. He performed:

Beethoven, Sonata No 23 in F minor, Op 57 “Appassionata”
Chopin, Ballade No 1 in G minor, Op 23
Liszt, Etude No 3 “Un Sospiro”; Les jeux d’eaux a la Villa D’Este; Ballade No 2 in B minor; Mephisto Waltz No 1

DSC02243.jpeg

More recently I attended a concert featuring Beethoven Violin Concerto.

Direct link to the album

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Very true, and along these lines Stanley Kubrick used classical music so masterfully in his movies. Notably 2001, Clockwork Orange, and especially Barry Lyndon (a favorite of mine).

Was just browsing thru older posts and noticed your great comment - ?

2001 was a cinematic masterpiece and was creative genius - love his use of 1)Also sprach Zarathustra and 2) The Blue Danube' (waltz) scene

That got me focused on Richard Strauss - am a big fan - here is a past post #9922 - Eine Alpensinfonie - Berliner Philharmoniker, Karajanon

RStrauss_Eine Alpensinfonie.png

Edit - Thought I would add this teaser

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Very true, and along these lines Stanley Kubrick used classical music so masterfully in his movies. Notably 2001, Clockwork Orange, and especially Barry Lyndon (a favorite of mine).
Well, I missed this too, so I had to go back and find it. After seeing Barry Lyndon in a theater, I bought the sound track on vinyl, and still have it. It's special to me because that movie was the first date that changed my life. Now, 46 years later, my wife and I have two grown sons and two granddaughters. It's appropriate that just today I found this, posted last September, as that first date was in February!

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
Benjamin Britten - A midsummer night's dream - Scottish Opera, Theatre Royal Glasgow

It was wonderful last night to get back to live music, postponed from March 2020.

The orchestra, under Stuart Stratford gave their usual excellent performance. The singing beautiful and clear, and well acted. It would be unfair to pick out any single performer, but I must give a special mention to the children's chorus playfully singing the faeries.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Speaking of clarinet, I saw this David Garner piece performed recently...

(oboe, English horn, clarinet in A, bass clarinet, and double bass played among 3 musicians)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.