Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
This forum is such a bad influence on me. The GF is going to prohibit me from coming here! Why do I say this? Federal Express just dropped off my 17" PowerBook. It's the 1.5GHz 5,5 model which looks to be very well equipped. 1.5Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, 80GB drive (unfortunately the 4,200 RPM version), SD, and pretty much everything else that comes with this system. It's in very good condition with some minor dings along the edges (seems to be fairly common in the AI models) and a quirk with the "p" key (functional but looks like it needs to be removed and reattached). Really nice system...clean, clean, clean. All for the low price of $25.00 delivered to my door (it was a untested / parts only sale). At the rate I'm acquiring the G4 generation laptops I'm going to have to splurge on a second power supply!

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
This forum is such a bad influence on me. The GF is going to prohibit me from coming here! Why do I say this? Federal Express just dropped off my 17" PowerBook. It's the 1.5GHz 5,5 model which looks to be very well equipped. 1.5Ghz processor, 2GB RAM, 80GB drive (unfortunately the 4,200 RPM version), SD, and pretty much everything else that comes with this system. It's in very good condition with some minor dings along the edges (seems to be fairly common in the AI models) and a quirk with the "p" key (functional but looks like it needs to be removed and reattached). Really nice system...clean, clean, clean. All for the low price of $25.00 delivered to my door (it was a untested / parts only sale). At the rate I'm acquiring the G4 generation laptops I'm going to have to splurge on a second power supply!
You have nothing to worry about......yet! It's when you start contemplating the purchase of a garden shed just to store your collection of boxes that the 'illness' really taks hold!

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Well, the honeymoon may be over. After using the system for a few hours I decided to insert the Leopard DVD and restart. Upon inserting the disc the screen went blank and nothing else. I ended up holding the power button down to power it off and, upon attempting to restart, nothing. No response from the system. I hope I can revive it as it's a nice system but if not at least I can pull the HD to use in my the 12" PowerBook.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Push Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard, release for at least five seconds then push the power button, and see if it starts then.

I have to do this with my 15” alum PowerBook every so often, when it appears completely dead and wont power on...

Reactions: AphoticD

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Push Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard, release for at least five seconds then push the power button, and see if it starts then.

I have to do this with my 15” alum PowerBook every so often, when it appears completely dead and wont power on...
Thanks for the information. What does this key combination do? I didn't have an opportunity to try it as the computer powered on this morning. I'm wondering if there's a thermal issue which caused it to stop functioning.

It did eject the Leopard DVD on its own so it appears it doesn't like that disc (it's a self burned +R disc). It's unlikely the optical drive caused the issue but it sure is coincidental it stopped functioning as soon as I inserted it and then spit it out immediately once it resumed functioning.

I'll need to play around with it more to understand if there's a problem, what symptoms may result in the failure (if any), etc. I did purchase it with the idea that it could be a parts system for the hard disk (my 12" needs a new hard disk and it was less expensive to buy this than to buy the HD itself) but knowing it works I'd hate to tear it apart as a parts system. It's in very nice shape except for the minor bending which seems all too common with these.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I had a 15" 15GHz PB. The burner only supported DVD-R discs. Whether that extended to reading as well as writing I'm not sure but it may be the reason for the rejection of your burnt offering.
Check the specs of your optical drive in System Profiler.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I had a 15" 15GHz PB. The burner only supported DVD-R discs. Whether that extended to reading as well as writing I'm not sure but it may be the reason for the rejection of your burnt offering.
Check the specs of your optical drive in System Profiler.
I think you're right. I just looked closer at the disc and it's a double layer disc which means I'll have to purchase double layer -R discs.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Does this model require a functional PRAM battery in order to power on? It appears as if the PRAM battery may be weak or exhausted (I do not have the main battery) as when I power it off and then on again the date and time needs to be reset.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Is it possible to daisy chain the usb ports on a 17" Powerbook G4 to provide enough power for an external USB hard drive that uses too much power for a single port? I've got an external USB drive that works fine with my Macbook and Macbook pro but won't boot up on my Powerbook. I'm nervous about trying this with my laptop since it works so great and I don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks!

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
Something like this Dual Type A male to female has worked for me on a PB 12" to power an external HDD.
usb-20-type-a-female-to-dual-type-a-male-for-extra-power-y-cable-20cm_126_fullimg1.jpg
But you'll need to run an extension on the 17" as the USB ports are on either side. I know that my PBG4 15" has strangely underpowered USB buses and some devices requiring USB power refuse to work, but I'm not sure if it's the same with the 17".

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Is it possible to daisy chain the usb ports on a 17" Powerbook G4 to provide enough power for an external USB hard drive that uses too much power for a single port? I've got an external USB drive that works fine with my Macbook and Macbook pro but won't boot up on my Powerbook. I'm nervous about trying this with my laptop since it works so great and I don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks!
Should be no problem with such a Y-USB-Cable-connecor as @AphoticD mentioned above. I use that on my 12/15"/17" PowerBooks on a regular-base. Also to power the USB3.0-ExpressCard/34 on the 15&17" early2008 MacBookPro.
DDC29509-63F5-4829-9C40-B0568EA64CE0.jpeg

Last edited:

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Does this model require a functional PRAM battery in order to power on? It appears as if the PRAM battery may be weak or exhausted (I do not have the main battery) as when I power it off and then on again the date and time needs to be reset.

some older models had the PRAM battery in the main battery.
unknown if this model is one of them.

I know one mine was and had buy a new battery to use machine properly.

I found my 17" macbook would not power usb drives with duff battery but was fine once bought new battery.

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
Something like this Dual Type A male to female has worked for me on a PB 12" to power an external HDD.
View attachment 743286
But you'll need to run an extension on the 17" as the USB ports are on either side. I know that my PBG4 15" has strangely underpowered USB buses and some devices requiring USB power refuse to work, but I'm not sure if it's the same with the 17".

Thanks for the info. I found a number of cables like this on Amazon after searching. So there isn’t any issue with using too much power from 2 usb ports like this?

Thanks again!

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
Bagged myself a 2006 17" MacBook Pro for £50 last nite.

Going to collect it on weekend.
It hour and half drive there and same back though.

Going to use my broken one to upgrade etc this one.

First thing will be heat sink paste as my 17" GPU issue we believe.
As this new one work, or did before going into storage then hope keep it working.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
sale fell thru :(

decided to look at my own 17" again.
It used to power on and chime but only white screen.

now does not power on at all.

oh well it's 11 years old so had good run.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
sale fell thru :(

decided to look at my own 17" again.
It used to power on and chime but only white screen.

now does not power on at all.

oh well it's 11 years old so had good run.
I hope it didn't do so after you made the trip to get it.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
you missed buddy that sale fell thru, never went get it.
my car broke and had get rescued friday after work, was going collect saturday but I have no car now.
part is not cheap so couple weeks no car.

so decided to take another look at my own 17"

one day worked fine, next day boot to white screen but did chime on power on.

today nothing. no lights, no chime, screen not light up.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
you missed buddy that sale fell thru, never went get it.
my car broke and had get rescued friday after work, was going collect saturday but I have no car now.
part is not cheap so couple weeks no car.

so decided to take another look at my own 17"

one day worked fine, next day boot to white screen but did chime on power on.

today nothing. no lights, no chime, screen not light up.

You could try this procedure:
1. With the Mac off, remove the battery, then attempt to start the Mac. If unsuccesful go to (2)

2. PMU reset: - With Mac off, remove battery, disconnect charger. Press and hold power button for five seconds. Reconnect charger and battery. Re-attempt another start.

This worked for me when I had a similar failure to start for no obvious reason.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
2007 17" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB SSD - A1229

View attachment 779477

Only upgrade so far is an old school Intel SSD 320 160GB SSD. Dual booting Tiger and Mavericks. Tiger is insanely quick, Mavericks could do with a bit more RAM which I'll get around to at some point.

Nice!! I want this exact machine. Always loved the keyboard on those PowerBooks and original era MacBook Pros. Would be perfect to type a script on! Something I’m dreading on my 2017 MacBook Pro.

torvan

macrumors member
Okay, since it is Club 17, and I have both a 17" iMac and a 17" eMac, can I join? LOL

In all seriousness, I saw a 17" Ti Book on Craigslist today--complete with two extra batteries and of course all the original CDs and a 1TB external all for $50. Almost told my husband about it until I realized it is 300 miles to the south of us (5 hours), the gas costs would be another $60. . . and the idea of driving that distance on I-5. . . . .and back again. . . . . . just might be the thing that creates the first argument in 8 years of marriage. . . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.