Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.

Yes because Tim Cook is the sole decision maker at Apple. Not a board of directors making decisions :rolleyes:

If you don't like their products, don't buy them. Vote with your wallet. That's what customers did with the Mac, which forced them to reverse a lot of their decisions with it. And now the Mac is the most popular it's been since...ever! Outselling the competition for 8 quarters straight, transitioning from Intel chips to faster Apple Silicon, and adding features to the Mac people wanted back such as magsafe and legacy ports.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Look at the sales for Apple as majority of the money comes from iPhone sales. Sure recently there was a big spike in Mac sales due to the switch to Apple Silicon and the rave reviews (it so deserves), but after the M2 release we are back to our regularly scheduled year over year increments we are used to for most devices.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Are you living in an alternate dimension? Are you talking about Apple Inc with the stock ticker AAPL?

I figured it out. This is satire. Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet so that took way too long to figure out.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Look at the sales for Apple as majority of the money comes from iPhone sales. Sure recently there was a big spike in Mac sales due to the switch to Apple Silicon and the rave reviews (it so deserves), but after the M2 release we are back to our regularly scheduled year over year increments we are used to for most devices.
Exactly. This is a great example of how statistics can be misleading without context.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple did its best work when it was up against the ropes.

Can you imagine how much they would have stuttered to a halt if instead of iTunes back in 2001 they came out with the Mac Apple Music app? One (the original iTunes) was elegant, the other (Apple Music) is cumbersome and just plain unpleasant to use.

They didn't have time or money back then to make poor or middling software. They needed hits. Their rate of innovation in software and the quality of it was so much better than now.

Their biggest liability for their original core customers who stuck with them through the dark days is their financial success. They can ride their coattails for a century or longer at this point. They have inertia and agglomeration on their side and shareholders as their constituency—in large part I'm sure because stock is how the executives themselves get paid.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
How about stop buying their products if you feel so strongly about the quality shift? I have had no more or less issues with products or software from the the Steve Jobs era to Tim Cooks. Tim Cook will leave when he decides he should move on, no social media campaign will make that happen sooner

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
really? have you taken a look at Apple's balance sheet over the past 10 years? That's what a CEO is held accountable for ...

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Also, I'd add, I think it has to do with there being a very magical time in which Apple was filled with the brilliant minds of NeXT. In some ways I even view NeXT as having acquired Apple rather than the other way around. A group of brilliant engineers who got their hands on a consumer electronics company. It wasn't just Steve Jobs who left Apple. There was attrition of NeXT engineers after that very short golden period. And as much I hate to admit it as someone who is middle aged, I do think youth is a huge advantage, so that even the remaining NeXT people don't have the same vision or drive as they once did. I mean Craig Federeghi came from NeXT but he now has macOS saddled with about four different programming frameworks. They lost Scott Forstall, as well. And I would imagine Steve Jobs was less involved in the latter years of his life as his health had declined precipitously. I wouldn't put the line of demarcation as when Jobs died. It was before that, around the time of Lion honestly is when the software quality went downhill for me, which I believe is the last Bertrand Serlet worked on. For me the golden period—the height—was very short. This probably sounds like an odd and esoteric example, but iDVD was the pinnacle of Apple. I don't think they could write an app like that now. Year over year updates to their consumer apps, and honestly they're crap—all of the first party Mac apps. I don't use them. Does anybody actually read news on the Mac in the News app? Just trying to make the text bigger or smaller is like wrestling an alligator (there's no pinch to zoom). Literally any web browser is an infinitely better reader, and that app's sole purpose is to make reading news better. They didn't used to put crap like that out, and certainly not over multiple generations of the OS. Fortunately, there are things they don't touch in the OS and it works as a foundation for third party apps so I still find it serviceable. Unfortunately, that golden age is long, long gone.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I see no problems with Apple's product direction. All of the products I've bought in the last 2 or 3 years do all I need them to.

Are they perfect? No. Are they cheap? No. Has Apple slipped occasionally? Sure. Does Cook get on stage and inspire people the way Jobs did? No.

One of the unfortunate legacies of Jobs is a complete misunderstanding of what a CEO is and does. There is no indication that Jobs' approach would scale or survive the modern age of skepticism. Another is that people compare the realities of today to the carefully curated memories of yesteryear. They forget how messy it was, and Jobs died over a decade ago so a lot of people are "remembering" a time they didn't experience but are basing on the experience of others.

Cook has been doing just fine in my book. I don't breathlessly await Keynotes, which is probably healthy. I buy the products I want and need and I tend to keep them for years before turning them over. It just so happens that I went through a massive turnover in the last couple years and everything I've bought has been extraordinary compared to what it replaced.

Stop looking at your battery level every 10min thinking someone's out to sabotage it, stop looking for breakthrough updates with every generation and look at 5 year arcs-- I see nothing serious to complain about.

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

I respectfully disagree.

There are many decisions on how Tim leads Apple that I disagree with, and I too have recognized a change in priorities over the past few years. However, and this is key, Apple is still bringing in billions each quarter in profits. Why would the shareholders want to out a CEO that is making them lots of money?

Yes, the stock price has suffered over the past year, but that is largely a result of the industry downturn, not Apple in particular, as Apple remains the most valuable company in the world. From a shareholder perspective, which is the only one that counts, Tim is doing just fine.

If you're really unhappy with the quality of Apple products, stop buying them. Tim is very smart. If consumers change their purchasing habits, revenue declines will be the norm, the stock price will suffer and Tim, or whomever is leading Apple, will be forced to usher in changes. Until such time, your only options to "rebel against the king" is to change your purchasing habits or stock portfolio.

I just bought my daughter a laptop for school, it was a Lenovo.

Edit: I recently bought myself a laptop for mobile video editing, it was an M2 Max. And it’s great!

Last edited:

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I see no problems with Apple's product direction. All of the products I've bought in the last 2 or 3 years do all I need them to.

Are they perfect? No. Are they cheap? No. Has Apple slipped occasionally? Sure. Does Cook get on stage and inspire people the way Jobs did? No.

One of the unfortunate legacies of Jobs is a complete misunderstanding of what a CEO is and does. There is no indication that Jobs' approach would scale or survive the modern age of skepticism. Another is that people compare the the realities of today to the carefully curated memories of yesteryear. They forget how messy it was, and Jobs died over a decade ago so a lot of people are "remembering" a time they didn't experience but are basing on the experience of others.

Cook has been doing just fine in my book. I don't breathlessly await Keynotes, which is probably healthy. I buy the products I want and need and I tend to keep them for years before turning them over. It just so happens that I went through a massive turnover in the last couple years and everything I've bought has been extraordinary compared to what it replaced.

Stop looking at your battery level every 10min thinking someone's out to sabotage it, stop looking for breakthrough updates with every generation and look at 5 year arcs-- I see nothing serious to complain about.

I'd argue Jobs's approach was showing cracks even in 2008-2009 - the rate at which Apple had to scale up over the last decade wouldn't have gone well under his stewardship, hard as that may be for some to accept. Yes, Tim makes some boring decisions, but Apple isn't a startup, it isn't an underdog, and expectations of Big Companies are a little different. The goal is giving some stability that people want while trying to avoid becoming IBM or HP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.