Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
With flat design, no craftsmanship is needed because practically anyone can do it
I disagree. To do flat design well is as difficult as doing a skeuomorphic design. It's a different style, but one isn't easier than the other. A good flat design isn't actually totally flat. It has to have subtle shading that accentuates the design, the size and placement of elements is also important, etc. making simple look good is not simple! But perhaps many people don't realize this and that's why many flat designs don't look good / are difficult to use, because not enough care is put in making them.

Reactions: ConcernedCitizen

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
And then Forstall went on to continue to create fabulous user friendly GUI’s for… no one.

Exactly this.

As frustrating as I find the cult of Jobs to be, at least it seems supported by his achievements and charisma. I have never understood the weird cult that formed around Forstall. And I certainly don't understand justifying it with GUI design. A Senior VP responsible for an OS development needs to do more than make cute cartoon calendars. Among other things, he needs to be able to be in a room with other SVPs and work for the interests of the company and nobody wanted to be in a room with the guy.

Maybe he was a UX guru and his biggest problem was that he rose above his abilities in the organization. That can happen. If he was such a hotshot software manager, you'd expect that someone would have bought him out of retirement but either he wasn't worth the trouble or he lacks passion for the industry because it looks like all he's done since is produce a few musicals.

I wasn't a fan of Ive's UI design, but I'm not shedding any tears over Forstall.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021

#CookMustStay Campaign​

Without Cook, an dictator as CEO would have had too much info about billions and take advantage
Thank God, Cook isnt V Putin or other Kim Jong...so be afraid of what you wish for because after Cook we dont know what kind of CEO we will have
Apple, Microsoft, Google has too much knowledge about population, and knowledge is power...nowadays even more than the governments

bunce66

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.
Stock price, revenue, and profits are at near all time highs. Nobody cares about your menial criticisms.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011

#CookMustStay Campaign​

Without Cook, an dictator as CEO would have had too much info about billions and take advantage
Thank God, Cook isnt V Putin or other Kim Jong...so be afraid of what you wish for because after Cook we dont know what kind of CEO we will have
Apple, Microsoft, Google has too much knowledge about population, and knowledge is power...nowadays even more than the governments

Cook is no better. He bent over backwards to please the Chinese and would do the same for Putin and Kim if told to do so.

Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.