Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
You are correct with regards to step one of the process. Step one is removing the current CEO who clearly either has no interest in putting emphasis on fixing these issues OR he does not have the buy-in of those under him who could resolve the problems.

Step 2 is to bring in a CEO who will view these problems as serious and make sure that the correct resources and focus are directed towards resolving them.
The people who are to blame for the issue persisting are about 5 levels down from Cook. Replacing him doesn't make them fix the problem. Replacing the VPs doesn't either. You need to get down to UI techs and their supervisors to ever have a hope of fixing the issue.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
The people who are to blame for the issue persisting are about 5 levels down from Cook. Replacing him doesn't make them fix the problem. Replacing the VPs doesn't either. You need to get down to UI techs and their supervisors to ever have a hope of fixing the issue.
I disagree. If Cook wanted it fixed he could instruct the underlings to do so or else. Leadership in some ways seems a foreign concept to both Cook and some of his rabid supporters.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I disagree. If Cook wanted it fixed he could instruct the underlings to do so or else. Leadership in some ways seems a foreign concept to both Cook and some of his rabid supporters.

Spot on , should the Apple Share price collapse , it's Cook's head that will be on the chopping block , not only the engineering team for releasing a poorly conceived / tested product.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This is rainbows and unicorns. No CEO instructions will cause Apple products to be perfect.

Reactions: kitKAC

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Spot on , should the Apple Share price collapse , it's Cook's head that will be on the chopping block , not only the engineering team for releasing a poorly conceived / tested product.
Sure, then you bring in someone who has no idea what's going on with the company and the problem persists. If I'm not doing my job correctly, firing my boss and putting in someone else isn't going to fix me not doing my job. New boss isn't going to know that I'm the problem. Old boss would have.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Apple does not need to consult you when developing products, and they don’t need to run the specs and features by you for approval. They make what their market research leads them to make. They know pretty well what people want, and square that with what’s technically possible, profitable, environmentally responsible, etc. By and large, their commercial success proves them right.

If it happens, for whatever reason, that their products don’t please you, you can make the decision to buy something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Gk200062YVR

narenh

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Or....

You switch to Android.

Until Tim Cook does something that THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT APPLE doesn't like, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. He's pointed Apple at the direction of record profits and revenue. Everything else comes second to that.

It's almost as if the profit motive no longer aligns with high-quality consumer goods and services! 😝

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
There is no such thing as an Apple product today that is 5 years ahead without going into battery service. None.
My 2016 MacBook Pro: original battery. My iPhone 8 Plus: original battery. My iPad Pro 10.5 inch (2017): original battery. My iPad Pro 12.9 3rd generation (2018): original battery. My Apple Watch Series 4 (2018): original battery.

Hmmm.... this post is making me realize it's time to do some updating!

ahmede

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011

#CookMustStay Campaign​

Does OP even said anything else? or just made the topic and run away?!

I appreciate all the comments , however it seems based on many of the comments that a number of Apple Users own their Products purely for bragging rights and don't exactly use the product to its full potential and therefore do not have first hand experience of the direction Apple is going in terms of quality.

Doing a search on MC Rumours you will discover a number of Threads where many users are experiencing the same problems from poor battery life , overheating , product recalls ......

droplink

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2014
To all those who say "but Tim Cook is bringing in billions into the company"
- That is NOT his doing.
Steve Jobs started the iPhone / iDevice revenue stream.
Steve Jobs started the services revenue stream

All Tim Cook does is to continue that stream. Having good advisors means he and Apple is able to continue by simply sustaining the path laid before them. It really does not take much to continue down an easy well planned path if all you have to do is make incremental and self explanatory product updates each year.

What has Tim Cook made?
What is his vision for Apple?

A few product launches like Apple watch, HomePod which are single products are not a vision. They are not a direction.

• Apple was to "take over the living room" and what we have are awkward home integrations in Siri, Apple TV and Apple Home app.
  • Apple was to go into gaming, yeah no. The Apple TV is as strong for games as Nintento was, but Timmy did not want to invest in the platform.
  • He started the Apple car project, spent billions on it and what has Apple to show for it? nothing. Apple could have bought Tesla but Tim Cook did not want to and Tesla is now worth billions. Whereas an Apple-Tesla combo would have been a tremendous market penetration (and a good starting point for a possible Apple-Apple car in the future).
  • Professional Apple uses, whether for creatives or regular business is nowhere. Outside of Final Cut Pro, what high end software exists for professional users and what business / collaboration apps does Apple have? (any competitor to Google GSuite or Office 365? anything on the horizon?? nothing.)

The guy is a bean counter who has NO IDEA of where Apple should go as a company, where it should evolve what areas it should expand in.
There is so much uncertainty and rumours of new product launches (that we are reading about here, for instance) so how are Apple's partners (like software developers etc.) going to plan for the future. How are developers to plan for a new app roadmap if they do not know support for hardware features and software libraries for that is going to continue or not? (GPU / external GPU, Metal etc.)

If his engineers do a good job then the products are good (M1 processor etc.) but if the engineers come up with something bad (AirPods Max, Magic Mouse, removal of headphone port or the prices of the Apple displays), he does not have the fortitude to tell them to back to the drawing board. The wheels for the Mac Pro costs several hundred dollars and dont even have brakes to lock the mac in place. Comon man. Does the guy have any control of his products and product teams?

Yes, Tim Cook MUST go. Apple is earning money DESPITE him, not because of him.

EDIT: The whole Lightning / USB-C debacle is another reason why he is a bad leader.
Steve Jobs might have fought to keep it for a while, but afterwards he would have made a clean break and a (fast) smooth transition. Instead we have devices which are still coming out with Lighting and with USB-C with the usual nuisance of double cabling.
Whether you like it or not, the days of Lightning are gone. Break up with it.

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
EDIT: The whole Lightning / USB-C debacle is another reason why he is a bad leader.
Steve Jobs might have fought to keep it for a while, but afterwards he would have made a clean break and a (fast) smooth transition. Instead we have devices which are still coming out with Lighting and with USB-C with the usual nuisance of double cabling.
Whether you like it or not, the days of Lightning are gone. Break up with it.
Lightning is yet another reason why Tim Cook should not be CEO. See my post in the link below for an explanation of why:

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: I7guy and TiggrToo

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I appreciate all the comments , however it seems based on many of the comments that a number of Apple Users own their Products purely for bragging rights and don't exactly use the product to its full potential and therefore do not have first hand experience of the direction Apple is going in terms of quality.

Doing a search on MC Rumours you will discover a number of Threads where many users are experiencing the same problems from poor battery life , overheating , product recalls ......
That’s what you get for any online forum. Very rarely you will see posts like “Hey all just wanted to post that everything is working great! Bye”

Looking online will always show any product has large issues.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Hey all just wanted to post that everything is working great! Bye!!!🤓

Well actually yes for the most part, though I have some issues with the Mac lineup (too expensive storage and ram) no 27" iMac, impossible to expand memory as well. The storage pricing issue applies to iPhones as well. I doubt Cook is going anytime soon, and his tenure has mostly been successful, but he will go at some point and am not sure who will/should replace him.

Reactions: millerj123

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022

Ah yes, a subset of a subset is a meaningful sample size. I'd wager the products having issues don't amount to more than 1% of the population. Sure it might be several hundred thousand devices but you're still talking only 1 in 100 devices having any kind of significant issue.

Reactions: decafjava

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yes, Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs, and yes, there are things I imagine Steve Jobs would do differently if he was still with us. For one thing, i think Jony Ives and Scott Forestall might still be at Apple, and their input could be resulting in better products.

But sadly, Steve Jobs is no longer with us, and as far as I can tell, in the absence of Jobs, Tim Cook is the best available option to run Apple. While Ives and Forestall are great innovators and leaders in their respective fields of expertise, neither has the temperament and/or skills to helm a company the size of Apple. Does anyone who is saying "get rid of Tim Cook" have specific ideas for who they would replace him with? It seems to me that you are vaguely imagining that getting rid of Cook would somehow magically return Apple to a path it would have taken under Steve Jobs. Well, it won't. If you do manage to get rid of Tim Cook, we'd likely end up with someone worse.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Apple could have bought Tesla but Tim Cook did not want to and Tesla is now worth billions. Whereas an Apple-Tesla combo would have been a tremendous market penetration (and a good starting point for a possible Apple-Apple car in the future).

Tim should be fired because he didn’t want to manage the infamously unmanageable Elon musk who puts his own companies in controversy pretty much every day. How dare Tim?

Reactions: kitKAC

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
For one thing, i think Jony Ives and Scott Forestall might still be at Apple, and their input could be resulting in better products.
Jony Ive, maybe. As he continued to do what he was doing at Apple, just elsewhere. He has the skills and the ability to put them at use in other areas. Forstall? He hasn’t done anything with tech since leaving Apple. He either has zero interest in tech (and would not bring anything to the table) OR there’s no one that thinks that his skills are worth hiring and dealing with him.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
It seems to me that you are vaguely imagining that getting rid of Cook would somehow magically return Apple to a path it would have taken under Steve Jobs. Well, it won't. If you do manage to get rid of Tim Cook, we'd likely end up with someone worse.
Steve Jobs once said “If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago.” People that THINK they want Steve Jobs back should have a chat with the Apple II folks. :)

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Steve didn’t think Scott Forstall should’ve been CEO.
Johnny Ive apparently literally couldn’t even be in the same room with Scott unless Tim was there to keep things cool calm and collected.
When apple was facing tons of pressure to apologize for the Maps applicationTim did, Scott refused.
When he was fired, apparently not many people at Apple were too upset to see him leave.
This was all heavily reported on at the time.
Also, the father of the iPod didn’t like him either.
And ever since then, the guy pretty much disappeared from tech and no one haspicked him up, he hasn’t started his own tech company, I don’t think he’s interested.
Steve might’ve been difficult to work with, but you get the feeling that people enjoyed working with him, he could inspire, he could motivate… But he also could admit when Apple was wrong.
Would Scott have came out and held a press conference about the iPhone 4 signal issues, or apologize to Mac pro customers, or went back on the butterfly keyboard, or any equivalent issue that Apple might have faced underneath his leader ship?
I don’t think so.
Also, people forget that when it comes to that Mabs application… Apple‘s contract with Google still existed for another year.
They easily could’ve pushed the Maps app out an entire year… But they didn’t, and guess who was in charge for that decision? Scott. So you can’t blame Tim for rushing things out and say Scott would’ve done a better job… When Scott did the same thing!

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.
i think my favorite part of this is that a moderator edited it…i can only wonder what your original post said 😉

they were archieving so much with Steve around, just look at the iPod Hi-Fi! 😍

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The way I deal with not agreeing with Apples current pricing is to adjust my spending. Buy older devices like a year after launch and keep devices longer than you used to. We replace our devices far too often anyway and it’s not necessary. Apple is noticing a drop off in upgrades like every other manufacturer, it’s just profits are consistent because prices have been jacked up. Vote with your wallet OP or try another manufacturer. Several of my friends who have been iPhones users since the start have switched to Android in the last year and likely won’t come back. Try something new.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Steve didn’t think Scott Forstall should’ve been CEO.
Johnny Ive apparently literally couldn’t even be in the same room with Scott unless Tim was there to keep things cool calm and collected.
When apple was facing tons of pressure to apologize for the Maps applicationTim did, Scott refused.
When he was fired, apparently not many people at Apple were too upset to see him leave.
This was all heavily reported on at the time.
Also, the father of the iPod didn’t like him either.
And ever since then, the guy pretty much disappeared from tech and no one haspicked him up, he hasn’t started his own tech company, I don’t think he’s interested.
Steve might’ve been difficult to work with, but you get the feeling that people enjoyed working with him, he could inspire, he could motivate… But he also could admit when Apple was wrong.
Would Scott have came out and held a press conference about the iPhone 4 signal issues, or apologize to Mac pro customers, or went back on the butterfly keyboard, or any equivalent issue that Apple might have faced underneath his leader ship?
I don’t think so.
Also, people forget that when it comes to that Mabs application… Apple‘s contract with Google still existed for another year.
They easily could’ve pushed the Maps app out an entire year… But they didn’t, and guess who was in charge for that decision? Scott. So you can’t blame Tim for rushing things out and say Scott would’ve done a better job… When Scott did the same thing!
As CEO, Steve Jobs found the best people in the world and retained them. (They were the best at their job, not necessarily the best in terms of social skills and behavior.) Jobs also kept their bad tendencies in check.

Scott Forstall was the best in the world in terms of creating the most beautiful and user-friendly GUIs for Mac OS X and iOS. Tim Cook failed at retaining Forstall because he fired him. Jony Ive was the best industrial designer in the world. Cook failed at retaining Ive because Ive quit. Cook also failed at keeping Ive's bad tendencies in check, which is why many of us reading this forum right now have an ugly notch at the top of our screens.

Those are yet more reasons why #CookMustGo.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.