Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Some people lead joyless lives always dogged by the feeling that the world is a choice among evils and never able to enjoy the choices they feel forced to make. Apple replacing their CEO isn't going to change that beyond the momentary excitement of being able to create a new hashtag. Neither is USB on your iPhone or a Meta app store.
Yeah, but telling people who are increasingly dissatisfied with Apple to go buy Android or Microsoft or whatever instead also isn’t helpful.

Reactions: TechNutt

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
To ask a serious question, is there any evidence of a decline in Apple hardware and software quality other than anecdotes that prove nothing more than the fact that they aren't perfect?
There’s evidence of Apple doing things different to attract different customers. The things they do today are to attract today’s customers. For example, they spent NO money in the last year marketing (or manufacturing) the Apple II.

There are certainly some pockets where one may find a past customer that is also a current customer and a future customer, but, in the big financial picture, those that will be future customers (even if they’ve never used or purchased any Apple devices before) are always the highest priority. They always have been, it’s just that future customers used to be mainly past customers, plus a few new ones. Now, half of folks buying iPads and Macs have never used Apple products before.

This indicates that Apple’s doing an admirable job cultivating that “future customer” market. Those that don’t like Apple’s current product mix have just joined the billions per year that don’t purchase Apple products and are unlikely to be “future customers”.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
😂😂😂 lol. As if Warren Buffet knew you were planning on writing this post today, he went on CNBC and explicitly explained why Tim Cook is a great CEO: https://9to5mac.com/2023/04/12/warren-buffett-apple-iphone-loyalty/ 😂😂😂

But like others have said in this thread, Cook is one of the greatest CEOs in history. He built upon what Jobs left behind and took Apple to heights Jobs could never dream of. No investor is going to demand Tim Cook go when he's made Apple into the most valuable public US company in history. lol. ain't gonna happen. If you think it is, you obviously haven't heard about this wacky ideology called "capitalism".
Your post serves to prove even further that Tim Cook cares more about shareholders than users. Warren Buffett is a professional investor (a shareholder), not someone known for being a user of Apple products.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Just look at how beautiful and user-friendly the skeuomorphic design was on all versions of Mac OS X up to 10.9 Mavericks, and on all versions of iOS up to iOS 6. That was due to the vision and leadership of Scott Forstall. Fortune reported that Forstall “Shares Steve Jobs' obsession with detail (keeps a jeweler's loupe in his office to check every pixel on every icon).” (Source linked below.)

Tim Cook doesn’t care about any of that. Cook will gladly cut corners to maximize profits because he prioritizes shareholders more than users.

Forstall would’ve made a far better CEO for users that cared about Apple making the most user-friendly products instead of pleasing shareholders.

Last edited:

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Fair enough? But it's hard to have a discussion when someone isn't willing to support their claim.
How do you think we can compare? How many Apple products have you bought, used, maintained, made a living, for decades?
What is the value of the experience of those who go on to quarters because what matters is the economic aspect (buy securities, not products, it is more useful) or of those who change products every 6 months to speculate? It is as if an earthling thinks he knows the problems of a Martian and vice versa.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Just look at how beautiful and user-friendly the skeuomorphic design was on all versions of Mac OS X up to 10.9 Mavericks, and on all versions of iOS up to iOS 6. That was due to the vision and leadership of Scott Forstall. Fortune reported that he “keeps a jeweler's loupe in his office to check every pixel on every icon”. (Source linked below.)

Forstall would’ve made a far better CEO for users that cared about Apple making the most user-friendly products instead of pleasing shareholders.

Jobs didn't think so...

I can't say with absolute certainty, obviously, but I suspect that he knew Forstall and Cook better than you do.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Well, I go ahead and buck the trend of this somewhat hateful thread. 1) Ventura beta has been bug free for me, 2) my M1 13 MBP absolutely the best computer I have ever owned, 3) my iPhone X still runs the latest iOS betas (also bug free for me), 4) my HomePods and HomePod minis sound spectacular, 4) opening Mac with my Apple Watch, unlocking my watch with my iPhone - awesome. 5) features like airdrop, continuity - years ahead of competition.

OK, I, like everyone else, would like to see RAM and SSD prices lowered. But despite common hater threads, comparing Apple Silicon Mac prices to comparable specced and comparably performing Windows PCs do not reflect a price premium, and that is before you adjust the windows machines for thermal throttling and pathetic battery life.

So, Tim Cook helped build a very successful and innovative Apple, and you want to can him. LOL

How is Dell Silicon, and HP silicon working out? How is Samsung OS (we know Exynos was a bit of a flop) working out?
@MauiPa your response is brilliant: factual, measured and coherent. This thread and the hate in it is surreal and nonsensical.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Yeah, but telling people who are increasingly dissatisfied with Apple to go buy Android or Microsoft or whatever instead also isn’t helpful.
Advising someone to choose an alternative to something they are dissatisfied with is actually good advice. This is because it is rational — unlike starting a MR thread calling for (or advocating) the dismissal of arguably the most effective and successful CEO in history .. and expecting that to solve their problem.

StevenHCarter

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.
The CEO is elected each year by the shareholders who own the company. You get one vote per share. If you dislike the CEO or any other board member, then you can vote for someone else.

This year (2023), the shareholders elected Tim Cook, Arthur Levison, James Bell, Albert Gore Jr., Alex Gorky, Andrea Jung, Monica Lozano, Ronald Sugar, and Susan Wagner.

Shareholders also persuaded the Board to reduce Tim Cook’s pay package by more than 40% and to more closely tie it to the overall performance of the company.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
How do you think we can compare?
I'm not the one making the claim. That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. The basis for the comparisons that people are making in this thread.

How many Apple products have you bought, used, maintained, made a living, for decades?
I choose not to discuss personal information on a public forum.

What is the value of the experience of those who go on to quarters because what matters is the economic aspect (buy securities, not products, it is more useful) or of those who change products every 6 months to speculate? It is as if an earthling thinks he knows the problems of a Martian and vice versa.
I have no idea what that means.

Reactions: TiggrToo

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
There is no such thing as an Apple product today that is 5 years ahead without going into battery service. None.

Considering that for tax reasons in some countries 5 years is the minimum period to go into amortization of the asset it is perfectly understood to whom Apple is coming what: disposable products to disposable consumers.
And you want to demonstrate with financial successes the goodness of the products: the quality of the products is seen by those who work there and you have much longer than a quarter to test the skills and quality of the company.
Do competitors suck? Who cares? I am not a competitor's customer.

What is the replacement time of a consumer Mac laptop or iPad? Does it come at 3 years old? The company would be satisfied if it were 24-30 months.
What is the replacement time of a professional Mac laptop or iPad? Does it reach 4 years old? The company would be satisfied if it were 36-42 months old.
The iPhone battery loses 1% charge per month, in 12 months it is 88%, in less than 2 years (which in some states is the warranty period) it is to be replaced, why? At what price? At such a price that those who want to keep it for two years and more must subscribe to AppleCare.
iOS 15 (but it's like that for every release) released in October (because then you have to see when the new products are really in the hands of customers) in April had reduced its execution, its speed, by 10% on the iPhone 13 (mini, Pro, Pro Max), which was the iPhone presented 6 months earlier, the last available. In 2 larger releases how much does the device slow down? Why?
Not to mention the glued products, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, Pencil, where to replace the battery means to replace the product, again AppleCare otherwise it is better to buy the new one, why?

This is the healthy company, which dominates the market, let alone the unhealthy ones.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TiggrToo

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Except changing one personnel member isn't going to change all of your gripes. Sweeping changes like that would take a lot of people working together and a lot of time.
One person at the very top of the chain of command can change all that. Steve Jobs had that kind of power and he exercised it. Tim Cook delegates too much and just lets subordinates make decisions as long as profits are maximized.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
There is no such thing as an Apple product today that is 5 years ahead without going into battery service. None.
Yes, TC should take greater care when making those batteries, if he wants to keep his job. Is he even washing his hands?

Kidding aside, this is not an Apple problem. All manufacturers that use lithium-ion batteries have this issue. These things are good for 500-1000 recharge cycles, or thereabouts. Under certain use patterns or environmental conditions this can be a lot less. When devices need charging every other day… – you do the math.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
Yes, TC should take greater care when making those batteries, if he wants to keep his job. Is he even washing his hands?

Kidding aside, this is not an Apple problem. All manufacturers that use lithium-ion batteries have this issue. These things are good for 500-1000 recharge cycles, or thereabouts. Under certain use patterns or environmental conditions this can be a lot less. When devices need charging every other day… – you do the math.
This is a problem for Apple when its sw gets worse with each release making devices slower and more energy-intensive for no real reason other than planned obsolescence. But Apple has a patch: it sells you the insurance contract!

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yes, satire is what it must be.

Tim Cook has been doing a wonderful job, guiding Apple to record valuations and bringing product design decisions more into balance with user demand and engineering capability.

If anything, the company has grown too diverse in its quest for profit and is trying to compete on too many fronts.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
It's time to start a #CookMustGo campaign , not only is Apple destroying our devices with substandard software causing battery drain and over heating , price increases, the overall quality , both hardware and software of Apple Products has hit rock bottom , how much longer are Apple customers going to tolerate this pathetic poor performance from a company who were the tech industry leaders with standards which every other company strived to archieve.
Cause the CEO develops the software and hardware and is responsible for battery drain and bugs. You know they use their own stuff too, right?

HaveUtriedRestarting?

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2022
I'm kind of new to the Apple space, joining in early 2020. I can confidently say that Apple played a big role in my life. I am now a developer working on apps for Apple devices with Swift mostly. I have encountered bugs or flaws or whatever you're upset about, but they didn't bother me and didn't affect my workflow at all. I'm not sure how much more splendid and innovative was Apple before Cook but in my eyes he's doing quite a good job. I personally see it this way and you're allowed to think differently (pun intended).

For me, Apple under Tim Cook looks quite good. And also posting this on one small forum won't get Cook's or any executive's attention and NOTHING will happen.

Reactions: heretiq

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
The only thing that keeps me from switching to Android is the fact that Google can suddenly decide to suspend ones account on a whim, and basically mess up ones entire digital life just like that.

This has been well-documented behaviour on Google's/Alphabet's part, and has been discussed in the major tech-news outlets and on various forums.

Yikes, if true! This definitely keeps me on the Apple bandwagon for years to come—even though a lot of folks say Apple doesn’t protect privacy any more than the Googles, Microsofts & Amazons.

Millennials are 42 years old and a good part of them remember Apple’s era of clones and hw and sw bugs with Jobs, without Jobs, and again with Jobs.

Part of this argument of old Jobs’ Apple is people like me miss the innovation and excitement Apple design once had with new pieces introduced into the tech world, both with software and hardware. And let’s not forget about the ”just one more thing” punchline during keynotes. Now when I watch keynotes, I keep thinking how similar Cook sounds to Mr Garrison on South Park—every time! 🤣

Nothing wrong with voicing displeasure on things that aggravate oneself and hoping for irksome problems to be rectified rather than jumping ship!

Advising someone to choose an alternative to something they are dissatisfied with is actually good advice. This is because it is rational — unlike starting a MR thread calling for (or advocating) the dismissal of arguably the most effective and successful CEO in history .. and expecting that to solve their problem.

Call out what bothers us. I’m in full support vs the tired and overused ‘vote with your wallet’ rebuttal. I bet every single one of us in here has a nagging issue with something we use frequently and just wished it was tweaked to perfection instead of buying the competition.

Could the topic be less abrasive? Sure, but the issue at hand still remains important to the OP and, in a great deal of ways, me. I also hope Apple starts to aggressively invigorate excitement back into the fold. Watch a keynote of releases over a decade ago and watch one now. Major difference and vibe altogether!

Are Apple products better overall now? Probably. As mentioned earlier, Apple Silicon is a game-changer most people won’t even realize to appreciate. But it still doesn’t remove the overall aura Apple innovation has been somewhat stagnant and uninteresting, especially as of late.

Reactions: klasma

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
No one is forcing you to buy anything. You could have no phone, a land line, Android, generic flip phones, TracPhones, etc.

And yet... people still consume what they don't like and try to make us eat their garbage. You can live without all of these things, but people will display their full dependence on it. You win the Internet on this day!

Last edited:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Go ahead and get going with this one, chief. I'll just be sitting here and laughing.

Reactions: heretiq

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
And yet... people still consumer what they don't like and try to make us eat their garbage. You can live without all of these things, but people will display their full dependence on it. You win the Internet on this day!
Unsure if sarcasm or sincerity but ok?

Reactions: progx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.