Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Absolutely silly observation but what I find utterly amazing….

My open windows in the headset….i can see their shadows on the wood floors of my room via passthru. First time I saw them I thought it was an optical illusion but nope….windows “cast” a rendered shadow.

• Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
WishList

Teleportation/Remote Viewing feature!

Youre buddy is walking around some place, and you see what they see! Maybe put this on a roomba style robot and it can be a telepresence experience!

This could open up a whole new form of Tinder virtual dates. And uhhhh….Netflix and Chill too I suppose.

• Haha

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
My hot take is that they shouldn't have shipped this device. The general experience of actually looking through the thing (you know, the most fundamental pillar of the platform) is not up to Apple standard.

If they reduce the glare by a significant factor, increase the FOV, and increase the fidelity of passthrough it will be perfect. Display resolution is mostly fine for me except when dealing with small text in Safari or Virtual Mac Display. "mostly fine" is probably an understatement considering how sharp a lot of elements look close up (speaking of which, anyone notice bringing a window right up close to your face looks way sharper than a blown up window a few feet from you? why is that?) Right now the glare + fov is a constant reminder that I'm wearing a pair of goggles and it's the biggest letdown ever, I expected so much more. I knew it was coming because all the AVP demos Apple held were in perfect (aka BRIGHT) lighting conditions such that the glare goes away. I really really really hate the glare so much. FOV would be a lot more acceptable if there was no glare but right now I can see the inner overlapping edges of the displays in my FOV. It's like wearing some sunglasses with an exaggerated frame where your peripheral vision never lets you forget you're wearing them.

"but all VR headsets have a glare issue! it's just the limits of lens technology!" Then they should have waited just like they waited for microOLED to become available so they didn't have to ship a device where you can see a ton of pixels.

If they do all that + add support for 3 4K virtual mac displays (will probably require a new generation of Apple Silicon on both the AVP and MacBooks) I don't see a reason to use anything except the Vision Pro for both work and media consumption, I'll basically be wearing it all the time.

I really get the vision of the platform but the less than perfect hardware lets it down. The user experience of flicking to scroll, the windows staying perfectly in position, and really everything software wise is amazing save for plenty of v 1.0 bugs I run into (blank windows or memory leaks that slow down the system require a complete reboot). You can tell the eye tracking + gestures were their benchmark for whether or not they have a viable product, similar to the stories of Steve Jobs insisting on multitouch and typing being perfect before shipping the first iPhone.

Speaking of which, there's an old story about Steve Jobs getting every engineer at Apple to drop what they're doing and come up with ways to perfect typing on the first iPhone. Well they needed to do something like that for AVP because typing is absolutely atrocious and they should have delayed the debut entirely until they figured out a faster and more accurate way of typing. Hard to believe they couldn't have figured out a way to bring the swipe keyboard to Vision Pro. Maybe in a future software update. If I know I'll need to type something (like posting on this forum or texting someone) I avoid the Vision Pro or take it off. Easy fix is to let us input text from the iPhone just like Apple TV, this should be a priority feature add. What takes 5 seconds to type on iPhone takes 80 seconds on AVP, that's not an exaggeration. Don't get me started on seeing a completed sentence and trying to adjust the cursor to fix a typo; rage inducing.

The spatial audio experience is one of the most impressive parts of the device. The way interaction sounds change depending on the scale and position of windows relative to the user is extremely convincing and significantly enhances the realism aspect of the device. It's the most underrated feature by far.

I can't wait for a few generations down the line when they improve this stuff. Right now it's impressive and I can see myself using gen 1 over an iPad (and iPhone, sometimes) for home media consumption but it's not an iPhone moment where you pick the thing up and instantly go "this thing I'm holding is a smartphone and all the other phones I've used are dumbphones." Instead with AVP you end up thinking "wow this is the best VR headset I've ever used but it's still VR"

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
My hot take is that they shouldn't have shipped this device. The general experience of actually looking through the thing (you know, the most fundamental pillar of the platform) is not up to Apple standard.

If they reduce the glare by a significant factor, increase the FOV, and increase the fidelity of passthrough it will be perfect. Display resolution is mostly fine for me except when dealing with small text in Safari or Virtual Mac Display. "mostly fine" is probably an understatement considering how sharp a lot of elements look close up (speaking of which, anyone notice bringing a window right up close to your face looks way sharper than a blown up window a few feet from you? why is that?) Right now the glare + fov is a constant reminder that I'm wearing a pair of goggles and it's the biggest letdown ever, I expected so much more. I knew it was coming because all the AVP demos Apple held were in perfect (aka BRIGHT) lighting conditions such that the glare goes away. I really really really hate the glare so much. FOV would be a lot more acceptable if there was no glare but right now I can see the inner overlapping edges of the displays in my FOV. It's like wearing some sunglasses with an exaggerated frame where your peripheral vision never lets you forget you're wearing them.

"but all VR headsets have a glare issue! it's just the limits of lens technology!" Then they should have waited just like they waited for microOLED to become available so they didn't have to ship a device where you can see a ton of pixels.

If they do all that + add support for 3 4K virtual mac displays (will probably require a new generation of Apple Silicon on both the AVP and MacBooks) I don't see a reason to use anything except the Vision Pro for both work and media consumption, I'll basically be wearing it all the time.

I really get the vision of the platform but the less than perfect hardware lets it down. The user experience of flicking to scroll, the windows staying perfectly in position, and really everything software wise is amazing save for plenty of v 1.0 bugs I run into (blank windows or memory leaks that slow down the system require a complete reboot). You can tell the eye tracking + gestures were their benchmark for whether or not they have a viable product, similar to the stories of Steve Jobs insisting on multitouch and typing being perfect before shipping the first iPhone.

Speaking of which, there's an old story about Steve Jobs getting every engineer at Apple to drop what they're doing and come up with ways to perfect typing on the first iPhone. Well they needed to do something like that for AVP because typing is absolutely atrocious and they should have delayed the debut entirely until they figured out a faster and more accurate way of typing. Hard to believe they couldn't have figured out a way to bring the swipe keyboard to Vision Pro. Maybe in a future software update. If I know I'll need to type something (like posting on this forum or texting someone) I avoid the Vision Pro or take it off. Easy fix is to let us input text from the iPhone just like Apple TV, this should be a priority feature add. What takes 5 seconds to type on iPhone takes 80 seconds on AVP, that's not an exaggeration. Don't get me started on seeing a completed sentence and trying to adjust the cursor to fix a typo; rage inducing.

The spatial audio experience is one of the most impressive parts of the device. The way interaction sounds change depending on the scale and position of windows relative to the user is extremely convincing and significantly enhances the realism aspect of the device. It's the most underrated feature by far.

I can't wait for a few generations down the line when they improve this stuff. Right now it's impressive and I can see myself using gen 1 over an iPad (and iPhone, sometimes) for home media consumption but it's not an iPhone moment where you pick the thing up and instantly go "this thing I'm holding is a smartphone and all the other phones I've used are dumbphones." Instead with AVP you end up thinking "wow this is the best VR headset I've ever used but it's still VR"
I am very happy they shipped this device. There are some individuals whose facial dimensions, eye morphology and sensitivity, and perhaps yet named or identified visual characteristics that affect their experience with these types of devices. Not saying it's a problem or fault with your phenotype, but it may be. My experience and many other's experience has been very different. I wouldn't use your experience to generalize what it is for everyone.

Reactions: FreeState

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
I would however be able to change the position depth-wise of the home icon screen. You can do it with all the other windows, but I haven't been able to do it with the home screen. It seems a little to close up to me.

Reactions: tbayrgs

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I am very happy they shipped this device. There are some individuals whose facial dimensions, eye morphology and sensitivity, and perhaps yet named or identified visual characteristics that affect their experience with these types of devices. Not saying it's a problem or fault with your phenotype, but it may be. My experience and many other's experience has been very different. I wouldn't use your experience to generalize what it is for everyone.

Nah the glare issue is pretty universally reported. Not everyone is getting it (apparently) but enough people are for it to be a thing. Maybe I'll try a different Light Seal to help with FOV issues but nothing will help the glare. It's the glass, not biology. Try opening a bright window in the dark moon environment and move your head around.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbayrgs

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
For those of you who've taken "panorama" pics on your iPhone, have you looked at them yet thru the AVP?

Yeah and the first thing you'll realize is how poor the quality of iPhone panos are. They need to capture them with the full 48MP for it to look better on Vision Pro.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I agree with your assessment. I wanted to love this device with my primary use being movies, but the glare, FOV, and pixel visibility are deal breakers especially if you blow the screen up past 100”. Anything smaller looks good, but at that point id stick with my 77” OLED or projector.

The only time I can read text easily on this device is if I pull the window super close to my face. For example in Safari, when the window is about 20”, the text is sharp (almost as good as iPhone), no visible pixels, or jagged edges. My thought is that there are a fixed amount of pixels and as you make the screen larger it blows everything up leading to some of these visual abnormalities.

I think they should have shipped it though, because that’s how you improve it. Great post by the way!

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
So strange that there is such a wide difference in the perception of glare. For me it’s a non issue. I wonder what the variables are for the disparity.
I see it sometimes, but it’s not a dealbreaker for me. Same for FOV. The content is so immersive that I forget about it. Meanwhile, I’m typing this on a massive screen in front of Mt. Hood while getting some work done. Phenomenal.

But back to the subject of this thread: Another thing that I have learned is to keep my eyes closed until the AVP is properly adjusted to avoid the error messages and deactivating opticID.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s weird seeing my internet habits collide. I love the Autopian, much better than the drivel Jalopnik has turned into.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
It’s weird seeing my internet habits collide. I love the Autopian, much better than the drivel Jalopnik has turned into.
Jalopnik, Engaget, Gizmodo all got too political. Banned them and others like them from all my newsfeeds.

Reactions: cardfan

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The first moment of pure delight I felt was when I was able to look up toward my office a floor away from where I was standing and grab my window and bring it down into the kitchen with me. I was so pleased with that ability. Owning a device like this almost feels like a super power sometimes.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The first moment of pure delight I felt was when I was able to look up toward my office a floor away from where I was standing and grab my window and bring it down into the kitchen with me. I was so pleased with that ability. Owning a device like this almost feels like a super power sometimes.
This makes me wonder about the absolute accuracy of the AVP's location service.

I went thru the AVP iFixit teardown and didn't notice a GPS receiver, so I assume it lacks GPS.

If I missed something and there really is a GPS receiver, then this is all moot, so you don't have to read any further.

To me, a lack of GPS implies it's using a combination of dead reckoning based on sensors (accelerometer, etc.), distances to obstacles based on vision sensors (video, lidar, etc.), and maybe some real-world positioning based on wifi BSSIDs.

Anyway, I wonder what would happen if:

1. You went somewhere away from all wifi sources, including cell-based hotspots, and placed some windows around a fairly big space, say 30 paces or so apart. Call this the Original location.

2. With the AVP still turned on but not wearing it, you drive around a bit, maybe even approaching the Original location from a different direction altogether.

3. Is the in-device location service accurate enough to show all the windows in their original places? To double-check, put stones or sticks as markers in the Original location, and see if they exactly match.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
okay I will confess a couple of stupid things i have done with my AVP in the hopes to give others a laugh and maybe not the same mistake. Most of them are because I get so used to the AVP gesture interface that I..

1) was surprised when i first connected with my Mac that I couldn’t control it with my eyes… had to keep using the computer keyboard and trackpad to interact.

2) i had about 5 or 6 AVP windows open and was rearranging them and was getting really frustrated that no matter how many times I tried, I couldn’t get one window showing a you Tube video to move, then I realized it was my big screen tv in the background with pass through video.

more to follow.
Eye tracking is good but not accurate enough for macOS. The only thing you can do is to select the macOS window to give it focus (which is useful). Seems like it could also select an app window (where there are several to choose from). I'm planning to install beta so I can use Feedback app directly (I assume this is included with VisionOS beta).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.