Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
What I find really cool is go through and map a room while it's light, then turn the light off. Make sure your hand is holding something so you dont fall. Now walk around holding the chair or whatever, and touch at things in the matrix view in the dark when you dont see the pass through version. It's very spooky cool.

Yeah- I’m going to try that tonight. Also going in to a room that’s dark to see what happens. Would be cool if it kept the previous mapping.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Yeah- I’m going to try that tonight. Also going in to a room that’s dark to see what happens. Would be cool if it kept the previous mapping.

What it made way better than that floorpan mapping app, i forget its name, when you look at stuff, you see it refine realtime. The mesh 'shrink wraps' around objects better by just looking at it. I could see it then making a 3d walkthrough map of your home. A nice thing to generate auto floorpans way more accurately.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
What it made way better than that floorpan mapping app, i forget its name, when you look at stuff, you see it refine realtime. The mesh 'shrink wraps' around objects better by just looking at it. I could see it then making a 3d walkthrough map of your home. A nice thing to generate auto floorpans way more accurately.
That would be neat if you could map your entire house — and then virtual characters could be in certain rooms and speak/react to you (like the Encounter app).

• Love

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok here is a new use.

The dentist!

Im reading a book and in Chapter 7 there is a discussion of placebos working even when you know they are placebos and using VR to reduce pain in experiments where people had heat pads put on their arms (and in some cases working as well opioids). So I was thinking might this work at the dentist.

So I went and luckily my hygienist was game. We have a pretty good routine and I know the points when things get sensitive. And I cannot believe this, but it absolutely worked to make everything way less sensitive and easy.

I just used the meditation app and set it for 20 minutes (and had to reset it). The hygienist also said the headset really didnt get in the way, and wouldn't mind if I used it in the future. Weirdly, she said she thought it worked too. She said I was so much more placid and less tense and if anything it let her be more aggressive and thorough than normal, yet I experienced significantly less discomfort. Crazy!

I had to stop half way through and re run the meditation app to finish out the cleaning since the max time is 20min. Also, because they are working in your mouth, it blocks you from using your hands to control things, so you cant just surf the web and stuff like that. I think if I try it again, I may just try being in one of the environments. The book notes that water based environments are good at reducing pain too.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

4k AVP video is cool.

But also cool that I dont see anyone talking about is It shows 2 images side by side and if you put your hand in-between them on to your iPhone, like a karate chop, and watch it, and let your eyes blur, you see the image in blurry 3d without the goggles. Kind of cool!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Ok here is a new use.

The dentist!

Im reading a book and in Chapter 7 there is a discussion of placebos working even when you know they are placebos and using VR to reduce pain in experiments where people had heat pads put on their arms (and in some cases working as well opioids). So I was thinking might this work at the dentist.

So I went and luckily my hygienist was game. We have a pretty good routine and I know the points when things get sensitive. And I cannot believe this, but it absolutely worked to make everything way less sensitive and easy.

I just used the meditation app and set it for 20 minutes (and had to reset it). The hygienist also said the headset really didnt get in the way, and wouldn't mind if I used it in the future. Weirdly, she said she thought it worked too. She said I was so much more placid and less tense and if anything it let her be more aggressive and thorough than normal, yet I experienced significantly less discomfort. Crazy!

I had to stop half way through and re run the meditation app to finish out the cleaning since the max time is 20min. Also, because they are working in your mouth, it blocks you from using your hands to control things, so you cant just surf the web and stuff like that. I think if I try it again, I may just try being in one of the environments. The book notes that water based environments are good at reducing pain too.
I've discussed this with my dentist a few times. I can see where the AVP might not interfere with routine cleaning, but other procedures (e.g., drilling) could be more problematic, if only because of the fluid and particles that are sprayed in the air and could land on the device.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
So I was thinking might this work at the dentist.

Interesting idea.

I can see where the AVP might not interfere with routine cleaning,

Though I would be really hesitant using the VP at the dentist due to aerosols. At a recent cleaning the technician turned on a rather large air cleaner with the duct inlet just over my head. He has an elderly parent and wanted to reduce the water particulates in the air due to Covid. Having those droplets be inhaled by the VP fans doesn't seem to me to be a great idea.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT

4k AVP video is cool.

But also cool that I dont see anyone talking about is It shows 2 images side by side and if you put your hand in-between them on to your iPhone, like a karate chop, and watch it, and let your eyes blur, you see the image in blurry 3d without the goggles. Kind of cool!
google cardboard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.