Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Eye tracking is good but not accurate enough for macOS. The only thing you can do is to select the macOS window to give it focus (which is useful). Seems like it could also select an app window (where there are several to choose from). I'm planning to install beta so I can use Feedback app directly (I assume this is included with VisionOS beta).

Is that a function of eye tracking or MacOS? My understanding is that a Mac screen on your AVP is essentially just screen sharing, an image. I know i expected eye selection to work with it, but nope. You have to use the Mac’s keyboard and trackpad (or mouse) to control the Mac. I dont often use my AVP with my Mac. I find the AVP native apps to be sufficient for most things.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Is that a function of eye tracking or MacOS? My understanding is that a Mac screen on your AVP is essentially just screen sharing, an image. I know i expected eye selection to work with it, but nope. You have to use the Mac’s keyboard and trackpad (or mouse) to control the Mac. I dont often use my AVP with my Mac. I find the AVP native apps to be sufficient for most things.
It’s a virtual display. Keyboard and mouse still are very necessary.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Nah the glare issue is pretty universally reported. Not everyone is getting it (apparently) but enough people are for it to be a thing. Maybe I'll try a different Light Seal to help with FOV issues but nothing will help the glare. It's the glass, not biology. Try opening a bright window in the dark moon environment and move your head around.
It seems like it could be reduced algorithmically, like noise cancellation is. It would know where the bright pixels are and compute how they'll reflect off eyeballs onto the lenses and then back.

I'm curious if people with this issue are all using Zeiss lenses or are wearing contact lenses or don't need vision correction.

I do see it especially when there's no external light and sometimes am able to raise or lower my chin to reduce it.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It seems like it could be reduced algorithmically, like noise cancellation is. It would know where the bright pixels are and compute how they'll reflect off eyeballs onto the lenses and then back.

I'm curious if people with this issue are all using Zeiss lenses or are wearing contact lenses or don't need vision correction.

I do see it especially when there's no external light and sometimes am able to raise or lower my chin to reduce it.

One thing I should mention is I increased the "Display" brightness to max in the Settings app. By default it's at the middle setting (there's only three settings). Reducing it to the default reduces it slightly but but no means gets rid of it.

I'm not using zeiss or contacts so I'm really curious to see what it's like when my sister tries it with her zeiss inserts.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone else disappointed with the immersive video on Apple TV? It's so low res it's not as compelling as I imagined it to be. It has potential and seems fun but they really need to increase the resolution. Right now it's giving a similar experience to a Quest with YouTube VR. I expected better.

Reactions: nevesis

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Anyone else disappointed with the immersive video on Apple TV? It's so low res it's not as compelling as I imagined it to be. It has potential and seems fun but they really need to increase the resolution. Right now it's giving a similar experience to a Quest with YouTube VR. I expected better.
To be honest, if that doesn't impress you, may as well return it. Because that is as good as it will get. To me, it is outstanding, and I wish everything could be like that.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
To be honest, if that doesn't impress you, may as well return it. Because that is as good as it will get. To me, it is outstanding, and I wish everything could be like that.

I think for regular 4k movies it does great. I believe the quality of immersive videos will get better over time but generally speaking your advice is sound: I wouldn't recommend the device to people unless $3500 is trivial to them. It's really cool but not groundbreaking.

Reactions: cardfan

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
It's definitely more complicated than just a generic remote desktop app. There's some non-obvious shenanigans going on that, in my mind, point to a greater level of integration that was either intended or is currently in development. For example, if you have the Mac screen window inactive in favor of a window behind it (so it's doing the faded translucency thing), clicking the mouse will immediately make it active again even without interacting with anything else in the AVP UX.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

So there is some kind of trick to this.

For example the first 2 times I tried to watch Avatar 2, it was just the normal 2D movie. I dont know how or what i did to re click it, but on the 3rd time the full 3D movie showed up.

I dont know if it's something on my side, or a server bandwidth decision or what. But I wouldn't be surprised if you didnt get the 'right full version' of some of the media.

Avatar was insanely good (the tech, not the story which was poop) looking on it once it finally loaded the right version.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
This makes me wonder about the absolute accuracy of the AVP's location service.

I went thru the AVP iFixit teardown and didn't notice a GPS receiver, so I assume it lacks GPS.

If I missed something and there really is a GPS receiver, then this is all moot, so you don't have to read any further.

To me, a lack of GPS implies it's using a combination of dead reckoning based on sensors (accelerometer, etc.), distances to obstacles based on vision sensors (video, lidar, etc.), and maybe some real-world positioning based on wifi BSSIDs.

Anyway, I wonder what would happen if:

1. You went somewhere away from all wifi sources, including cell-based hotspots, and placed some windows around a fairly big space, say 30 paces or so apart. Call this the Original location.

2. With the AVP still turned on but not wearing it, you drive around a bit, maybe even approaching the Original location from a different direction altogether.

3. Is the in-device location service accurate enough to show all the windows in their original places? To double-check, put stones or sticks as markers in the Original location, and see if they exactly match.
I really don’t know, but I don’t think there’s GPS in there either. It’s just the R1 keeping constant track of where that window is and keeps it dead locked in place. The only time it loses its spot is if the battery goes dead or gets disconnected.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I really don’t know, but I don’t think there’s GPS in there either. It’s just the R1 keeping constant track of where that window is and keeps it dead locked in place. The only time it loses its spot is if the battery goes dead or gets disconnected.

Might it have remedial gps abilities via wifi? For region and triangulation from its wIFI connection?

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
I hope an Apple employee who is working on AVP is monitoring this thread. Dumping a few thoughts:

1. Fix your OpticId animations https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tifsying.2419152/?post=32930895#post-32930895
2. Of all of the hypes AVP got, think which are ONLY achievable by Apple Vision Pro, and not something achievable by a device that's more wearable. For example: live translation, do we REALLY need a huge headset to achieve this? A glass also does the job.
3. If Apple insists on the route of a big headset rather than a pair of glasses. Find the actual niche use of 'spatial computing'. Present a future where we enhance and interact with physical objects, a future where people actually sit together and enjoy things in 3D. One of the biggest use case Apple is marketing, is seeing huge 2D iPad apps in 3D space. This is not a good use for a VR/AR device.

And I don't really get the vacuum cleaner use case.. You would imagine the people who buys an AVP has a vacuum robot.. that does the vacuuming for you, ..right?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Pro tip, you can get to the app list view without pressing the digital crown. If you look up and open the control center (the little arrow), there is an option in there to open the app view, it is the icon with a bunch of dots on it.

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Agreed, there were parts of the immersive prehistoric video that felt like Avatar flight of passage at Disney World. If this is the tip of the iceberg of content go expect, I’m definitely keeping mine.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
One change I’d like to see is to move the Safari tabs to the side or bottom. It’s too easy for the first tab to be selected rather than the back button.

I’d also like to see a “reader mode” type setting that changes the size of links on pages so you don’t have to zoom in to select the correct link (mostly on websites with tons of links). Maybe this could just be a Safari extension.

(I’d also like it to sync with my other devices windows and history)

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Overall, I love the AVP. I do have a few gotchas to report. At least they were for me.

1. When I take a screenshot and look at it in the Photos app, the AVP content is rotated slightly. If I rotate my head in the same direction before taking the screenshot, the content doesn't rotate as much or I nailed it and the content is vertical. Also, when I see the Optic ID image, it's rotated slightly as well.
2. When I view a movie in a dark environment, I can see light glare around the bottom of the view. It's not much, but it does interfere with the viewing of the movie. When I view a movie in a light environment, I do not notice the glare.
3. My persona freaked out my daughter when I surprised her with a FaceTime call. I feel sorry about that. Hopefully, it'll look better in a future version.
4. There were times when I needed to access my iPhone while wearing the AVP. Of course Face ID did not work to let me in and I had to continually swipe until the keyboard appeared. I hope they allow one to log into one's iPhone automatically when wearing the AVP. If security considerations allow that.

I've got the light glare as well. Need to try using it in different environments to see if there's a difference. Noticed it the most in the IMAX earth movie you can watch.

On the iPhone, get an Apple Watch and set it up. While wearing the watch, it will unlock the iPhone for you.

For those of you who've taken "panorama" pics on your iPhone, have you looked at them yet thru the AVP?

Yes. And it's one of the things I have "guests" check out. I and the family were blown away by them. Took us back to moments like we were there again. Very, very cool.

I thought about that as well. Play the youtube while fixing whatever you are working on. Not sure how it will work, but a definite use case to try.

The first moment of pure delight I felt was when I was able to look up toward my office a floor away from where I was standing and grab my window and bring it down into the kitchen with me. I was so pleased with that ability. Owning a device like this almost feels like a super power sometimes.

I was in one room, then moved to another. Looked and it seemed like my apps followed me. The way it places apps is very cool. I placed a photo in my kitchen and kept going back to it. Perfect, every time. Would be cool if I could place many pics throughout the house. But haven't found a way to open multiple "photo's" apps.

This makes me wonder about the absolute accuracy of the AVP's location service.

I went thru the AVP iFixit teardown and didn't notice a GPS receiver, so I assume it lacks GPS.

If I missed something and there really is a GPS receiver, then this is all moot, so you don't have to read any further.

To me, a lack of GPS implies it's using a combination of dead reckoning based on sensors (accelerometer, etc.), distances to obstacles based on vision sensors (video, lidar, etc.), and maybe some real-world positioning based on wifi BSSIDs.

Anyway, I wonder what would happen if:

1. You went somewhere away from all wifi sources, including cell-based hotspots, and placed some windows around a fairly big space, say 30 paces or so apart. Call this the Original location.

2. With the AVP still turned on but not wearing it, you drive around a bit, maybe even approaching the Original location from a different direction altogether.

3. Is the in-device location service accurate enough to show all the windows in their original places? To double-check, put stones or sticks as markers in the Original location, and see if they exactly match.

It has something that tells the headset where you are relative to space. Can't be GPS as those signals won't be in all buildings all the time and they don't have GPS noted in the tech specs. I'd try your experiment in a building or outside, not driving around. Thing is, if you long press the crown to bring all your windows to you, no option but to start over.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
2 cool discoveries.

Magic Room is insane. Particularly as you walk through some rooms that are partially dark, the effect is insane. Like you have some ESP. Then looking up or down through your floor below you, and walking over it, the effect is crazy.

The second thing is a personal Time Machine, superimposing memories over reality for a pseudo Time Machine experience. I was sitting in Bed watching my real TV. and I was playing around with recording video, and played it back so that the video overlaid my reality, via passthrough, so it stitched kind of seamlessly into my field of view so I couldn't really see it was in a window. So I was then watching TV from a few minutes ago, again, and seeing my feet under the blankets, iand still feeling it, was a really weird sensation. It was very surreal/trippy back in time feeling because with how overlayed with the rest of 'reality' so convincingly.

I could see a really cool feature/app where everything you do all day is recorded and you can just travel back in time to reexperience it. Would help for memory items.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
2 cool discoveries.

Magic Room is insane. Particularly as you walk through some rooms that are partially dark, the effect is insane. Like you have some ESP. Then looking up or down through your floor below you, and walking over it, the effect is crazy.

The second thing is a personal Time Machine, superimposing memories over reality for a pseudo Time Machine experience. I was sitting in Bed watching my real TV. and I was playing around with recording video, and played it back so that the video overlaid my reality, via passthrough, so it stitched kind of seamlessly into my field of view so I couldn't really see it was in a window. So I was then watching TV from a few minutes ago, again, and seeing my feet under the blankets, iand still feeling it, was a really weird sensation. It was very surreal/trippy back in time feeling because with how overlayed with the rest of 'reality' so convincingly.

I could see a really cool feature/app where everything you do all day is recorded and you can just travel back in time to reexperience it. Would help for memory items.

Of this, purchased A Magic Room. Asks to allow access to your surroundings, click the button, get to App settings but only have Siri. Any ideas? I've emailed support. Sounds very cool, I need this! LOL.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Of this, purchased A Magic Room. Asks to allow access to your surroundings, click the button, get to App settings but only have Siri. Any ideas? I've emailed support. Sounds very cool, I need this! LOL.

Strange. It asked me twice. First was a system panel asking to give permission, and I think a 2nd time on the app panel asked. And after that, the app came up.

Maybe the app hung? I would try rebooting your AVP. Also have OS1.1. Not sure if that makes a difference.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Yuppers, had to restart the headset. That was a strange one. But man, it’s cool! Especially the Matrix - like you are in the movie.

What I find really cool is go through and map a room while it's light, then turn the light off. Make sure your hand is holding something so you dont fall. Now walk around holding the chair or whatever, and touch at things in the matrix view in the dark when you dont see the pass through version. It's very spooky cool.

Reactions: Kierkegaarden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.