Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Wow just been away for a minute or two...

Hey guys! Been awhile, how's it going twoodcc? Been thinking about ya and how you blew past me with your monster rigs! I plan to retake the crown, just to let you know... First off I'll get a couple of Titans going, when I get them ordered... Then maybe, well I'll have to see, a new mobo I think, dual Xeon perhaps:D something to think about, wanted you to sweat a little more before I crush you to dust. Bwaahaahaa ;)

Whiterabbit :cool:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hey guys! Been awhile, how's it going twoodcc? Been thinking about ya and how you blew past me with your monster rigs! I plan to retake the crown, just to let you know... First off I'll get a couple of Titans going, when I get them ordered... Then maybe, well I'll have to see, a new mobo I think, dual Xeon perhaps:D something to think about, wanted you to sweat a little more before I crush you to dust. Bwaahaahaa ;)

Whiterabbit :cool:

hey man! i'm hanging in there! how've you been? i actually went the cheaper route with a used 4-processor AMD rig (48 cores). the cores really make a difference compared to the xeons. much cheaper. and now that the gpu scene is shaping up i broke down and bought my first gpu in almost 3 years! (780).

i'm still trying to take the crown from rwh202. we need you to come make things interesting :cool:

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
hey man! i'm hanging in there! how've you been? i actually went the cheaper route with a used 4-processor AMD rig (48 cores). the cores really make a difference compared to the xeons. much cheaper. and now that the gpu scene is shaping up i broke down and bought my first gpu in almost 3 years! (780).

i'm still trying to take the crown from rwh202. we need you to come make things interesting :cool:

I'll try... at least I can add a few more points. What AMD rig do you have? I was looking at a Zeon setup that would cost well over 4k. Maybe I should just add another board and pair of Titans?

It kills me that I can't use some of the power we have at work but I would definitely lose my job if I tried. I just installed about 40 new dual zeon 16 core systems for our compute cluster which adds to the already 200+ nodes we already have.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I'll try... at least I can add a few more points. What AMD rig do you have? I was looking at a Zeon setup that would cost well over 4k. Maybe I should just add another board and pair of Titans?

It kills me that I can't use some of the power we have at work but I would definitely lose my job if I tried. I just installed about 40 new dual zeon 16 core systems for our compute cluster which adds to the already 200+ nodes we already have.

folding isn't worth losing your job over!!

The AMD rigs can be had (relatively) cheaply these days as there's usually someone looking to unload one. I've idled my single Xeon. Looks nice in a windowed case though. Just not worth the power any more to run SMP on it, and the Xeon rigs are said to be expensive (again compared to AMD) and efficient, power-wise. you just need several of those Xeons to do bigadv. The base AMD chips (Opteron 6128 8 core 2.0 ghz) can be had for as little as $75 a set!! (it's the rest of the setup that costs, of course, plus the power)

twoodcc -- would you be able to give any insights into the quad-Opteron route?

I think the dual-GPU with cheap board and CPU is the most cost and power-effective way right now. After reading a lot of stuff on the [H] board, I put together a cheap board (just lying around) with a Celeron G1610 (cheap and 55W which is important) -- and 2 HD 7970s. Just fired it up so I don't know how well it will work but so far so good. As far as the mobo goes, cheap is good, and the farther apart the GPU slots the better. I think mine was a Gigabyte board for around $100.

Right now it's all mounted in a NZXT Phantom and the top card is a good 10° C hotter than the bottom one, so I might spring for the Cooler Master HAF XB mesh version with a 200 mm fan on the top to exhaust all the hot air.

but I'd rather not have to do that :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

i paid $1800 for a 48 core AMD system. of course i bought it used, and the person i bought it from already had it slightly overclocked and ready to go (fold). basically you gotta build it or buy from someone that built it, using a supermicro server mobo. my recommendation is if you already have systems to put titans in, just do that and retire your old video cards. if not, it might be cheaper going the AMD route.

I think the dual-GPU with cheap board and CPU is the most cost and power-effective way right now. After reading a lot of stuff on the [H] board, I put together a cheap board (just lying around) with a Celeron G1610 (cheap and 55W which is important) -- and 2 HD 7970s. Just fired it up so I don't know how well it will work but so far so good. As far as the mobo goes, cheap is good, and the farther apart the GPU slots the better. I think mine was a Gigabyte board for around $100.

Right now it's all mounted in a NZXT Phantom and the top card is a good 10° C hotter than the bottom one, so I might spring for the Cooler Master HAF XB mesh version with a 200 mm fan on the top to exhaust all the hot air.

but I'd rather not have to do that :D

so another rig and more gpus? sweet and congrats!

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
i paid $1800 for a 48 core AMD system. of course i bought it used, and the person i bought it from already had it slightly overclocked and ready to go (fold). basically you gotta build it or buy from someone that built it, using a supermicro server mobo. my recommendation is if you already have systems to put titans in, just do that and retire your old video cards. if not, it might be cheaper going the AMD route.

so another rig and more gpus? sweet and congrats!

wow; you got a great deal on your rig! would be hard to get that price even today!

when I put my rig together stuff was still really expensive. (and the chips for the HE series still are) and I'd get more points if and when I get the nerve up to flash the bios with the over clock program.

oh, the new rig was necessitated by that bit about the client not working with a mixed bag of AMD and nVidia cards anymore. irritating to say the least. then I tossed in an old 560 ti to fill up the nVidia rig... then had to put the other rig together for the AMD card... so then had an extra slot on that rig... next thing you know, well...

guess I felt that the basement just wasn't hot enough :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
wow; you got a great deal on your rig! would be hard to get that price even today!

when I put my rig together stuff was still really expensive. (and the chips for the HE series still are) and I'd get more points if and when I get the nerve up to flash the bios with the over clock program.

oh, the new rig was necessitated by that bit about the client not working with a mixed bag of AMD and nVidia cards anymore. irritating to say the least. then I tossed in an old 560 ti to fill up the nVidia rig... then had to put the other rig together for the AMD card... so then had an extra slot on that rig... next thing you know, well...

guess I felt that the basement just wasn't hot enough :D

well if you hang around the [H] forum you'll see some good deals. i saw even better deals there a few weeks ago.

i know what you mean about the extra slots. i'll eventually upgrade my other old cards too

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK

That sounds like fighting talk...:)

Just as well another 660Ti and 7970 came in the post this morning!

The next investment is probably going to have to be air conditioning or at least some elaborate ducting to get rid of some heat.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

The next investment is probably going to have to be air conditioning or at least some elaborate ducting to get rid of some heat.

the best kind of talk for the best kind of fight :)

congrats on your new cards! will you run them on the same rig? and if you're successful lemme know how you did it! I can't get AMD and nVidia to play nice on the same client anymore :(

most of us are waiting for cooler weather...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

haha nothing wrong with some friendly fighting ;)

sweet. that should make things more interesting :)

yeah we all have to deal with the heat

the best kind of talk for the best kind of fight :)

congrats on your new cards! will you run them on the same rig? and if you're successful lemme know how you did it! I can't get AMD and nVidia to play nice on the same client anymore :(

most of us are waiting for cooler weather...

that's very true.

yeah we are, unfortunately it's gonna get hotter here before it gets cooler

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK

Cheers.
No, they're in separate rigs. It seems a bit hit and miss with mixed cards - there ends up being a myriad of different indexes at work (slot, device, openCl, Cuda etc.) and the right ones need to line up. Good luck getting it sorted.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Cheers.
No, they're in separate rigs. It seems a bit hit and miss with mixed cards - there ends up being a myriad of different indexes at work (slot, device, openCl, Cuda etc.) and the right ones need to line up. Good luck getting it sorted.

I've given up and set up separate rigs too... went from all "hit" to all "miss" (maybe it was a driver update) and got tired of dumping WUs. not good for anyone.

on the positive side, moving the 2 x 7970 cards to the Corsair Carbide 500R case from the NZXT Phantom brought the temps down a few degrees so I'll stick with that. The 660 ti seems fine in the Phantom; I've idled the 560 ti to lower the overall heat and power draw.

----------

haha nothing wrong with some friendly fighting ;)

sweet. that should make things more interesting :)

yeah we all have to deal with the heat

that's very true.

yeah we are, unfortunately it's gonna get hotter here before it gets cooler

our team is definitely making progress! quite a bit of fun!

you'll get more heat? Around here I was worried that summer had already passed us by...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.