Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Hundred dollar bills. :) I've been playing with it most of the day... time to let it cook overnight... see if it can grab a better WU too.

don't let it cook too much... don't want anything to happen to your shiny new card!

be curious to know what temp it reaches -- my AMD 7970s run between 50 and 65 degrees these days, and my 660ti is around 54 degrees...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
don't let it cook too much... don't want anything to happen to your shiny new card!

be curious to know what temp it reaches -- my AMD 7970s run between 50 and 65 degrees these days, and my 660ti is around 54 degrees...

My 670 was running around 65 before I put the Titan in. The Titan is running around 82! :eek: From what I've read the Titan slows down to keep near 80. I may pull the 670 out tomorrow since it's underneath the Titan to see if it can move faster with absorbing the 670's heat. I don't really need it in the machine anymore.

I had them going at full blast for about 2 hours today with no ill effects. Overnight should be fine.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
My 670 was running around 65 before I put the Titan in. The Titan is running around 82! :eek: From what I've read the Titan slows down to keep near 80. I may pull the 670 out tomorrow since it's underneath the Titan to see if it can move faster with absorbing the 670's heat. I don't really need it in the machine anymore.

I had them going at full blast for about 2 hours today with no ill effects. Overnight should be fine.

sounds like a good idea about pulling the 670 -- although it should still do decent points! I usually try to put the cooler card on top to increase airflow; right now I have the hotter 7970 on top of the cooler 660ti only because Afterburner won't recognize (and over clock) the 7970 unless it's in the primary GPU slot. but yeah, I'd prefer to give the 7970 the lower slot to give it more air...

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I have my 780 in the lower slot and the fan "forced" to 60%; the 660Ti in the upper slot run in auto mode (somehow I can't control the fan speed on that card).

image.jpg

That gives comfortable temps for both cards with 68Degrees for 780 and less then 60 for the 660Ti

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No GPU under Mac OS ! Open CL is too buggy, as per GPU developer.

On Windows you can use newer AMD and NV GPU very successful
On Linux only NV
A little config is required
Client-type = advanced

That will get you Core 17 WU; in combination with passkey you get bonus points which makes a great part of your "income"

Thanks for this.

I didn't see your detailed tips until just now.

Still looking into my GPU options for my video editing system.
Since my Hacintosh plans are uncertain (mostly due to OpenCL support, as well as Haswell in Mavericks), I may end up keeping it Windows only, and migrate my workflow from FCPx's current version, into Premiere. :( .

I am eagerly awaiting Mavericks, to see if the Haswell support is better than 10.8.5, in addition to the native Nvidia drivers set.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I may end up keeping it Windows only, and migrate my workflow from FCPx's current version, into Premiere. :( .

I am eagerly awaiting Mavericks, to see if the Haswell support is better than 10.8.5, in addition to the native Nvidia drivers set.

you wouldn't be alone; most of my video friends are either still in FCP or have moved (back) into Avid.

Let's see what next Tuesday brings!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
you wouldn't be alone; most of my video friends are either still in FCP or have moved (back) into Avid.

Let's see what next Tuesday brings!

I know right! I am due for a new iPad, and want to see how Mavericks boots on that system. I just sold a Motorcycle so I have money burning a hole in my account waiting for a video card.

Do I join the Titan crew? Only time will tell... :eek:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
nVidia 780s and Titans are the units to get for folding and rendering and such... congrats on your new machine! and let us know how the Hackintosh works out!

It's brilliant! Finally got the KEXT files correct, and it is booted in and running great. My GTX 650, while slow for folding is working great so far!! I am happy and will now be researching what to get for my 2nd GPU. But as I said in the other thread, it all depends on Mavericks and what is supported in FCPx . Both the 780 and Titan are in budget (since I didn't have to buy a new Mac), but I need to be sure they work in the future OS.

Next up is an SSD, as well as more RAM

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 7.04.41 PM.png

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I no longer have a costabunny catching up to me on my personal stats page! PHEW!

It's sad that when I stopped folding a while back I was in the top 20... and I only had 100,000 points or so. Now the top 20 is in the 7 millions!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I no longer have a costabunny catching up to me on my personal stats page! PHEW!

It's sad that when I stopped folding a while back I was in the top 20... and I only had 100,000 points or so. Now the top 20 is in the 7 millions!

yeah hardware has come a long way. points are easier to get these days. the really big points still require crazy hardware though (at least 16 cores). but some out there avg over 1 million points per day! (not on our team, though whiterabbit was close)

gpu technology has also come a long way. and the points have been restructured for them.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The increase of GPU folding plus the QRB are really nice for new joiner like me. Lots of good looking points. :cool:

Though I feel sorry for those long-term-folder with 10'000s of finished WUs collected in years I stepped over with my soon 2000 WU and 22m points in 5 month. Kind of "nouveau riche" I am ... :eek:

Now let see what evil plan costabunny is cooking up to catch SilentPanda again. :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The increase of GPU folding plus the QRB are really nice for new joiner like me. Lots of good looking points. :cool:

Though I feel sorry for those long-term-folder with 10'000s of finished WUs collected in years I stepped over with my soon 2000 WU and 22m points in 5 month. Kind of "nouveau riche" I am ... :eek:

Now let see what evil plan costabunny is cooking up to catch SilentPanda again. :D

well there's nothing wrong with those thousands of WUs completed. still going towards a great cause! (i've got the most WUs completed on our team)

She can't catch up unless I stop folding.... a Mac Pro just won't cut it! :p *taunt taunt*

maybe not, but several mac pros just might! :)

VijayPande

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to personally congratulate your team on this great accomplishment. As a Mac/iphone user, I routinely go to the macrumours site, so it's also really exciting for me personally to see a team associated with this site do so well.

Thanks for all your contributions and here's looking forward to your 10bn milestone!

Vijay

Vijay Pande
Professor of Chemistry and, by courtesy, of Structural Biology and of Computer Science
Director, Program in Biophysics
Director, Folding@home Distributed Computing Project

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Sorry I'm a little late to the party here, but I wanted to personally congratulate your team on this great accomplishment. As a Mac/iphone user, I routinely go to the macrumours site, so it's also really exciting for me personally to see a team associated with this site do so well.

Thanks for all your contributions and here's looking forward to your 10bn milestone!

Vijay

Thanks Vijay, didn't know you are member of MR since 2004.
We are also quite excited to in reaching this 1bn-milestone in a few days and contributing to a very good cause which potentially helps us, our families and friends, in the future. :)

Beside that all the little friendly competitions are fun, too. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.