Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Update. Little past 3pm here. Fell asleep on the sofa for about 1 hour. It keeps worsening. No desire to eat; I was able to eat some pasta without anything (not even oil, just the idea made me gag) earlier.

I feel like HP Lovecraft, who during his period at the hospital with terminal cancer wrote his death diary, listing each and every symptom to help scientists.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
My God... I feel like crap. It’s 1am here, and I am in pain, with shivers. Everything hurts. Headache. It’s cold. Cold cold. My arm is on fire. My eyes are on fire. My heart is beating fast. Light fever. I can’t fall asleep for more than 20 minutes without waking up in pain. There’s no way I can go to work. I can’t even lay in bed.

My sister and a few of my colleagues had a similar reaction. It should pass in about a day. Since the immune symptoms have arisen, you can now take Advil to help manage the symptoms, if that is feasible with your current health/medications.

Small sacrifice for the greater good, not to mention the potential severity of an active infection.

Hope you feel better.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I wonder which pain / inflammation drug is best for this type of reaction ?

Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, vicodin, or COX2 inhibitor (Celebrex) ???

My general suggestion/opinion as a PharmD not to be considered as direct medical advice...

I generally prefer ibuprofen based on personal experience, but different people have different experiences. I'd say ibupofen (Advil, Motrin) is overall better, especially if you're symptoms are more in line with physical pain as it is an anti-inflamitory. If it's just a fever/chills acetaminophen (Tylenol) is fine, but ibuprofen should work as well. Ibuprofen is harsher on the stomach and isn't appropriate for people with kidney issues - but we're only talking about taking it for a day or two. If you take acetaminophen, make sure you're not already taking another medication that contains it. The CDC suggests either of these two medications.

Ibuprofen like Celebrex is also a COX-2 inhibitor- they're both NSAIDs. There's no reason to take a prescription NSAID like Celebrex for something like the temporary side effects of a vaccine. Other OTC NSAID's like Naproxen (Aleve) or Aspirin are also an options if that's all you have.

Acetaminophen is a COX-3 inhibitor, which is believed to only exist in the CNS. Presumably the vaccine is causing a systemic reaction so the anti-inflammatory COX-2 effects seems to me, in theory, as a superior option.

Vicodin (hydrocodone + acetaminophen) is entirely inappropriate. There is no need to provide an opioid for the minor aches and discomfort associated with the vaccine. It's not treating the symptoms either, rather changing ones perception of the pain. Plus Vicodin and it's generics are now limited to only 300-325mg of acetaminophen.

TLDR: Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen should be fine.

NSAIDs or Tylenol should not be taken before the vaccination in an effort to prevent side effects (unless you are already prescribed to take them daily). They can be taken however after symptoms arise post vaccination.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
My general suggestion/opinion as a PharmD not to be considered as direct medical advice...

I generally prefer ibuprofen based on personal experience, but different people have different experiences. I'd say ibupofen (Advil, Motrin) is overall better, especially if you're symptoms are more in line with physical pain as it is an anti-inflamitory. If it's just a fever/chills acetaminophen (Tylenol) is fine, but ibuprofen should work as well. Ibuprofen is harsher on the stomach and isn't appropriate for people with kidney issues - but we're only talking about taking it for a day or two. If you take acetaminophen, make sure you're not already taking another medication that contains it. The CDC suggests either of these two medications.

Ibuprofen like Celebrex is also a COX-2 inhibitor- they're both NSAIDs. There's no reason to take a prescription NSAID like Celebrex for something like the temporary side effects of a vaccine. Other OTC NSAID's like Naproxen (Aleve) or Aspirin are also an options if that's all you have.

Acetaminophen is a COX-3 inhibitor, which is believed to only exist in the CNS. Presumably the vaccine is causing a systemic reaction so the anti-inflammatory COX-2 effects seems to me, in theory, as a superior option.

Vicodin (hydrocodone + acetaminophen) is entirely inappropriate. There is no need to provide an opioid for the minor aches and discomfort associated with the vaccine. It's not treating the symptoms either, rather changing ones perception of the pain. Plus Vicodin and it's generics are now limited to only 300-325mg of acetaminophen.

TLDR: Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen should be fine.

NSAIDs or Tylenol should not be taken before the vaccination in an effort to prevent side effects (unless you are already prescribed to take them daily). They can be taken however after symptoms arise post vaccination.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I learned quite a bit...

As for Naproxen, I can't tolerate the gastric side effect...

I take prescription Celebrex daily so I guess I can pair that up with Acetaminophen for the fever; but can't mix with Ibuprofen ?

I also have lots of Vicodin on hand from an earlier time I was injured but they prescribed so many....

Guess I'll have to see how I react to the second dose of Pfizer...

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I learned quite a bit...

As for Naproxen, I can't tolerate the gastric side effect...

I take prescription Celebrex daily so I guess I can pair that up with Acetaminophen for the fever; but can't mix with Ibuprofen ?

I also have lots of Vicodin on hand from an earlier time I was injured but they prescribed so many....

Guess I'll have to see how I react to the second dose of Pfizer...

Correct, one should not take Celebrex + Ibuprofen. Celebrex + Acetaminophen is fine, provided there are no contraindications. Ibuprofen is redundant therapy for Celebrex- they work the same way, so you may not need to take anything.

photogramps

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2020
UK

Can you give COVID-19 to anyone if you have had the vaccine?​

The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

• practice social distancing
  • wear a face mask
  • wash your hands carefully and frequently
  • follow the current guidance

UK Government Advice

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Had 2nd Moderna yesterday. Woke up with a pretty good headache and feel sluggish. Nothing I didn't expect and nothing I'd call severe. I can tell I had a shot in my arm, but the arm pain is very mild. I'm able to work today.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I'm a frontline worker and had the Pfizer vaccine last week. I had mine at 4:50am and had to drive 35 minutes to to the hospital to get it, which meant having to get up any 3:15am to make the appointment! An inconvenience but well worth it. I feel so lucky to have received it so early. I had a an ache in my arm for a few days but otherwise was fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'm a frontline worker and had the Pfizer vaccine last week. I had mine at 4:50am and had top drive 35 minutes to to the hospital to get it, which meant having to get up any 3:15am to make the appointment! An inconvenience but well worth it. I feel so lucky to have received it so early. I had a an ache in my arm for a few days but otherwise was fine.
First or second dose?

(is that the 1st Doctor's TARDIS behind you??)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Mrs. I7 and I were vaccinated (moderna) this am. 7:30 am appointment. Got taken early, experience for what it is was stellar. Arm is throbbing, took Advil. Got second appt. for February 24th. Had to drone 35 miles to hospital.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I'm worried about the second dose - this person died after taking the second Pfizer dose:
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/...ose-of-covid-vaccine-investigations-underway/

Someone will die. Exactly as someone will die taking aspirin or some other medicine or getting some shots. Sometimes it’s due to pre existing conditions (known or unknown), sometimes it’s just bad luck. 25M vaccines were administered; the number of deaths is not even a statistical blip. Granted, on a personal level it’s awful, but I’d be way more afraid of driving a car or eating the wrong thing by mistake.

And journalists should stop this fear mongering on all sides. Beginning an article with “Tim Zook’s last post on Facebook brimmed with optimism.” is a clear sign that they’re going for the personal story to disturb and scare people off, that is make it more personal.

Reactions: I7guy and mrsmith1

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
I'm worried about the second dose - this person died after taking the second Pfizer dose:
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/...ose-of-covid-vaccine-investigations-underway/
Had 2nd Moderna yesterday. Woke up with a pretty good headache and feel sluggish. Nothing I didn't expect and nothing I'd call severe. I can tell I had a shot in my arm, but the arm pain is very mild. I'm able to work today.

Just thought I'd update this for those looking to hear individual experiences. Around mid-afternoon yesterday I started feeling really cruddy, bad headache, and low grade fever. Took ibuprofen which helped. Feeling considerably better this morning.

Shardlake

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
My Mum had her vaccine on Friday. She had a bit of a reaction; shivers, dizzy, tired and feeling generally a bit rough. She's in the 80+ group. 6 days on, better but still tired.

I'm meant to get mine mid-Feb, being in in shielding group. We're getting called as and when vaccines become available. (UK)

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just thought I'd update this for those looking to hear individual experiences. Around mid-afternoon yesterday I started feeling really cruddy, bad headache, and low grade fever. Took ibuprofen which helped. Feeling considerably better this morning.
Is this your second dose?

Which vaccine - Pfizer or Moderna ?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Someone will die. Exactly as someone will die taking aspirin or some other medicine or getting some shots. Sometimes it’s due to pre existing conditions (known or unknown), sometimes it’s just bad luck. 25M vaccines were administered; the number of deaths is not even a statistical blip. Granted, on a personal level it’s awful, but I’d be way more afraid of driving a car or eating the wrong thing by mistake.

And journalists should stop this fear mongering on all sides. Beginning an article with “Tim Zook’s last post on Facebook brimmed with optimism.” is a clear sign that they’re going for the personal story to disturb and scare people off, that is make it more personal.
Didn't "like" the post because it was a light and airy post. But the content is dead on. For the most part, people seem to be taking this vaccine without many side-effects. The media will sensationalize the outliers as if they are the normal.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Didn't "like" the post because it was a light and airy post.
HEY!! :p Gimme my like!
But the content is dead on. For the most part, people seem to be taking this vaccine without many side-effects. The media will sensationalize the outliers as if they are the normal.
All joking aside, this is what is important. Bottom line: don't fear the vaccine. And let's get over with this covid thing asap.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Is this your second dose?

Which vaccine - Pfizer or Moderna ?
Yes, 2nd dose of Moderna. I took ibuprofen this am and have worked pretty much all day. I also took the dogs for a 2 mile walk. As the ibuprofen has worn off my headache has returned, I even have a low (only 99 but my normal is typically < 98) fever and am feeling kind of tired. So I'm definitely reacting to it but not having any symptoms that are unexpected or that are really laying me out. After the 1st dose I had only very minor pain at the injection site and woke up with a headache the next day. A couple of ibuprofen and a nice dog walk in cool air and I was good to go. I'm definitely reacting much more to the 2nd dose. I'm actually kind of glad. I know I'm making those antibodies.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Houston, Texas Story- I am the 1B category, 65 and older. It seems like if you are just out there in the general populace good luck getting signed up for COVID vaccination. The Harris Country COVID portal says sorry, sold out for now and you can't get to the form to fill in a waiting list request. The Houston Memorial Hospital site says sorry sold out for now, however I called my Dr's office who is affiliated with Houston Memorial, to ask about a waiting list and they say "hey, we just got in a batch" so I'm signed up for an inoculation on 18 Feb, that's 3 weeks...They said before you leave, they sign you up for round 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.