Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Houston, Texas Story- I am the 1B category, 65 and older. It seems like if you are just out there in the general populace good luck getting signed up for COVID vaccination. The Harris Country COVID portal says sorry, sold out for now and you can't get to the form to fill in a waiting list request. The Houston Memorial Hospital site says sorry sold out for now, however I called my Dr's office who is affiliated with Houston Memorial, to ask about a waiting list and they say "hey, we just got in a batch" so I'm signed up for an inoculation on 18 Feb, that's 3 weeks...They said before you leave, they sign you up for round 2.
No offense, but it seems to me that they already had plenty of people with whom to deal when Category 1B included the general population over 75 living in the community (as opposed to nursing home/assisted living, etc.) and the others (essential workers, still trying to get all healthcare workers, too, etc.) already established for that category. I fail to understand just why all of a sudden those 65 years old and up were also suddenly invited in.....that adds a WHOLE other bunch of people to the group currently eligible -- and for what reason? Serious question. Why???

It doesn't make sense to me, but of course I am not running this thing in the first place. Why not just get the 75+ cohort and the essential workers and the others already established as being in Group 1B done first, or at least mostly done, before allowing a significant number of other people to flood into what is already somewhat restricted territory when it comes to actual vaccine doses available?

I really hope that those who are in the age/career/profession/jobs groups originally designated as eligible by dint of being in Category 1B are still given priority..... IMHO the 65+ crowd needs to be at the back of the line when there are an awful lot of 75+, 80+ years and older folks ahead of them, still waiting for inoculation.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yep April. It’s 12 weeks between doses for everyone. Apparently it’s to make sure everyone gets a first dose quickly enough. There’s a debate among scientists here in the UK about whether thats the right thing to do or not.

Wow...... In the US as far as I know in most, if not all locations we are still going with the established schedule of three (Pfizer) or four (Moderna) weeks after the initial dose for people to obtain their second dose. Twelve weeks seems rather a long time, even though presumably immunity established after the first dose will still be effective.

Reactions: A.Goldberg

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No offense, but it seems to me that they already had plenty of people with whom to deal when Category 1B included the general population over 75 living in the community (as opposed to nursing home/assisted living, etc.) and the others (essential workers, still trying to get all healthcare workers, too, etc.) already established for that category. I fail to understand just why all of a sudden those 65 years old and up were also suddenly invited in.....that adds a WHOLE other bunch of people to the group currently eligible -- and for what reason? Serious question. Why???

It doesn't make sense to me, but of course I am not running this thing in the first place. Why not just get the 75+ cohort and the essential workers and the others already established as being in Group 1B done first, or at least mostly done, before allowing a significant number of other people to flood into what is already somewhat restricted territory when it comes to actual vaccine doses available?

I really hope that those who are in the age/career/profession/jobs groups originally designated as eligible by dint of being in Category 1B are still given priority..... IMHO the 65+ crowd needs to be at the back of the line when there are an awful lot of 75+, 80+ years and older folks ahead of them, still waiting for inoculation.
Why would I be offended? Just posting my experience.

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
Wow...... In the US as far as I know in most, if not all locations we are still going with the established schedule of three (Pfizer) or four (Moderna) weeks after the initial dose for people to obtain their second dose. Twelve weeks seems rather a long time, even though presumably immunity established after the first dose will still be effective.
It’s been established after a single jab you have long lasting effective immunity after a few weeks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

it’s been established after a single jab you have long lasting effective immunity after a few weeks.

Not really, depending on the vaccine:

Got my 1st Modena shot today. No symptoms as of yet, although have heard many reports about greater reactions to the 2nd shot from those who have had them.

Reactions: 4sallypat

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I'm worried about the second dose - this person died after taking the second Pfizer dose:
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/...ose-of-covid-vaccine-investigations-underway/

While it is imperative these closely time correlated medical episodes and deaths should be thoroughly investigated, we should be careful not to make an assumption that is the result of the vaccine either. When you’re vaccinating 10’s millions of people (eventually 100’s), the likelihood of coincidences becomes inevitable.

Every medication has side effects, including severe side effects. People (under age 19) can receive permanent brain damage and die from simply taking Aspirin (Reye’s Syndrome). Thankfully this was realized in the 80’s and we no longer give kids aspirin. I knew a guy in college who wasn’t allergic to bees until he got stung and died on the sidewalk.

It’s hard to really make inferences from articles, but what the man experienced does is not consistent with typical anaphylactic allergic reaction. There is limited evidence smallpox vaccine may cause myocarditis (heart inflammation) in rare cases, which can lead to heart failure. I’d say vaccine induced myocarditis is a possibility to be ruled out. No other vaccine I’m aware of is known to cause heart failure-like symptoms.

The most likely severe reaction from vaccines are auto-immune reactions. The thing about these reactions is that they also can occur from infection of the disease they’re preventing- often at a higher rate than the vaccine. So if someone has a reaction to a vaccine, it’s entirely possible they would have had the same reaction from the actual virus itself.

Another possibility is not the vaccine itself, but non-active ingredients in it or contaminants. Not reassuring, but a possibility none the less.

Again, everything you ingest carries risks. Some more than others. Vaccines are generally very safe. Because of the numbers, we are going to see confirmed negative reactions. But hopefully these reactions are one in a million.

The manufacturer and FDA will be investigating these potential cases aggressively. So we should have some answers relatively soon.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine two days ago. About 12-16 hours in and I felt pretty lousy, felt like I had a fever but my thermometer said otherwise. I just went to bed and slept like a rock. The next day, I didn't have a fever or anything, but was decently achey all over and very tired – much more fatigue than my norm. I was honestly surprised that I had a "reaction" - though not sure I would call it that. I was surprised because I've never had a response I could feel from really any medication or vaccine before. The reaction was my immune system responding, and to me that was a sign that it was working. That being said, you obviously can achieve immunity without feeling a thing.

I am a medical student gearing up to start residency in a number of months, and am deeply grateful for this vaccine. My wife is also pregnant while working in a high risk environment (she is an inpatient provider at a major academic medical center) and she received the second dose of Pfizer vaccine as well on the same day (after numerous consultations with medical professionals across infectious disease & OBGYN deeming the very small risk is far outweighed by the benefit of protection from COVID, given that pregnant women are at higher risk for serious sequelae of the virus if she were to get infected). She didn't feel a thing!

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018

Got my 1st Modena shot today. No symptoms as of yet, although have heard many reports about greater reactions to the 2nd shot from those who have had them.

That was my experience. Minimal reaction to the first dose. I have a few earlier posts describing my experience. I had a much stronger reaction after the 2nd dose (Moderna). Nothing really severe or unexpected, headache, relatively mild fatigue, low grade temp, just feeling punky. I was able to work most of the day and even took the dogs for pretty good walks, but really wore down as the day went by. I got the 2nd dose on Tuesday. I'm feeling better this morning (Friday).

Reactions: yaxomoxay

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif

Very good article!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I got the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine 16 days ago and had no side effects, maybe a headache but I get headaches often anyway so it might’ve been random.

I’m getting the second dose in 5 days. Hopefully booster shots for any variants will be ready soon.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I got the first shot of the Pfizer vaccine 16 days ago and had no side effects, maybe a headache but I get headaches often anyway so it might’ve been random.

I’m getting the second dose in 5 days. Hopefully booster shots for any variants will be ready soon.
Your second Pfizer dose will not have the updated variants as they are made using the original mRNA formula.

However the Pfizer will offer some protection against the new variants so it's wise to get the second dose.

As for the new variants, I keep hearing that they might create a newer dose and have it as a 3rd shot booster....

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Is that just for frontline people, or does that include the plebs?
All vaccines in the USA are free.

But the counties and states make up the rules to vaccinate certain groups first.

Some states like mine are slow to get the front line HCW and 65+ folks vaccinated; while Alaska has been leading the vaccinations.

Our state had to take over local control of vaccine distribution because some hospitals and county health dept have not put them into the most needed group first.

I think it's a manufacturer - distribution problem from the federal government who keeps only a day or 2 stockpile behind.

I just received my notice to receive the 2nd dose - as everyone in my county is guaranteed the 2nd dose.
Before today, was really worried about the vaccine shortages being played on the media...
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 2.52.23 PM.png

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
All vaccines in the USA are free.

But the counties and states make up the rules to vaccinate certain groups first.

Some states like mine are slow to get the front line HCW and 65+ folks vaccinated; while Alaska has been leading the vaccinations.

Our state had to take over local control of vaccine distribution because some hospitals and county health dept have not put them into the most needed group first.

I think it's a manufacturer - distribution problem from the federal government who keeps only a day or 2 stockpile behind.

I just received my notice to receive the 2nd dose - as everyone in my county is guaranteed the 2nd dose.
Before today, was really worried about the vaccine shortages being played on the media...
View attachment 1721809
Thanks for the information.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Oh lord. After hearing about the horror stories of being sick as a dog. I’m ready to cancel my appt for the shot.

• Wow

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Received the first dose on Thursday. Pfizer. No side effects. Will follow up for the second dose on 2/17. I’ve gotten the flu vaccine for the last 5 years or so and never had any negative reactions, so I wasn’t expecting any this time either. So grateful for this.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
Oh lord. After hearing about the horror stories of being sick as a dog. I’m ready to cancel my appt for the shot.
Unless you have a particular allergy to something in the vaccination serious reactions have been very rare. In some cases fewer have been reported than in the placebo arm. Lots of folks haven't felt good for a couple of days; especially after the 2nd dose. But the reaction i an indication you're building antibodies. You might not feel great for 2-3 days, I didn't, but you're VASTLY more likely to experience serious health issues from covid-19. Plus, by getting vaccinated you're helping to protect your loved ones, co-workers, etc. Plus, the more people that get vaccinated the sooner we'll be able to return to some semblance of normal life.

Td1970

Suspended
Jan 29, 2021
Unless you have a particular allergy to something in the vaccination serious reactions have been very rare. In some cases fewer have been reported than in the placebo arm. Lots of folks haven't felt good for a couple of days; especially after the 2nd dose. But the reaction i an indication you're building antibodies. You might not feel great for 2-3 days, I didn't, but you're VASTLY more likely to experience serious health issues from covid-19. Plus, by getting vaccinated you're helping to protect your loved ones, co-workers, etc. Plus, the more people that get vaccinated the sooner we'll be able to return to some semblance of normal life.
I work in the healthcare field. I understand how it works.

the flu shot kicks my butt every year. This will be far worse I’m afraid.

I see vaccinations are getting canceled. Kinda hope mine is. Lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.