Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
After 2 months, my Apple Watch 3 has a cracked screen (diagonally across the top right corner), the touch function is gone so I can’t enter my passcode - so it is essentially a brick. I’m certain I didn’t drop it or whack it against anything. Apple won’t repair it under warranty and it would cost me $280 for repair. That’s not going to happen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Attachments

• 0B5A5665-244F-4019-90D5-F731710DCA60.jpeg
    0B5A5665-244F-4019-90D5-F731710DCA60.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11,190
Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
After 2 months, my Apple Watch 3 has a cracked screen (diagonally across the top right corner), the touch function is gone so I can’t enter my passcode - so it is essentially a brick. I’m certain I didn’t drop it or whack it against anything. Apple won’t repair it under warranty and it would cost me $280 for repair. That’s not going to happen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

IF there is no sign of impact damage Apple might replace under warranty. But, the image does not show clearly but it kinda looks like impact damage around the top glass where is curls into the case. There have been made who suffered damage and do not remember when or where it happened.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
A hairline crack like this will typically be replaced without charge (Applecare or not) on an iPhone.

When there is chipping and spidering it implies an impact but when it is a hairline crack this is typically a manufacturing defect or stress on the glass from the phone / watch body.

I'm pretty sure apple will swap it out for you

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
A hairline crack like this will typically be replaced without charge (Applecare or not) on an iPhone.

When there is chipping and spidering it implies an impact but when it is a hairline crack this is typically a manufacturing defect or stress on the glass from the phone / watch body.

I'm pretty sure apple will swap it out for you
There appears to be an impact in the top left-center. Bad photo angle, but definitely doesnt appear to be a single hairline crack. Looks to be deep.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
There appears to be an impact in the top left-center. Bad photo angle, but definitely doesnt appear to be a single hairline crack. Looks to be deep.

I agree it is a bad angle but even in the top center it appears to be traveling along a single line. Could just be the nature of the curved surface refracting line. Swamp gas and all that. @OP more photos please.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I have the same issue. I went to Apple and they essentially said it will be $280(I don't have apple care) and said since there is a chance it could be impact related(which I told them its not) they will not do it for free. Luckily my screen is still functional, but now I am afraid the water resistance is shot so I have to take it off all the time when I am working with water.

The flip side is I paid with my sapphire reserve and they are reviewing my claim right now. I have seen posts before about amex/chase just giving you credit to buy it again, or they will pay for the repair. fingers crossed! if I do get to buy a new one, I probably will get apple care this time around...

I have a series 3 aluminum GPS only.

Attachments

• IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,788
Reactions: decypher44

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I have the same issue. I went to Apple and they essentially said it will be $280(I don't have apple care) and said since there is a chance it could be impact related(which I told them its not) they will not do it for free. Luckily my screen is still functional, but now I am afraid the water resistance is shot so I have to take it off all the time when I am working with water.

The flip side is I paid with my sapphire reserve and they are reviewing my claim right now. I have seen posts before about amex/chase just giving you credit to buy it again, or they will pay for the repair. fingers crossed! if I do get to buy a new one, I probably will get apple care this time around...

That also looks like a stress fracture and not an impact fracture to my untrained eye. There was a document simulated that desired the types of screen damage for iPhones (not Apple Watch) but this could clearly have fallen under covered if it were an iPhone. Hopefully Apple will soon acknowledge this type of damage.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I didn’t realize it at the time I purchased my first WATCH S2 almost a year ago, but AppleCare+ is only $49 in the US for the aluminum and SS models.

At that low of a price, it’s a must have add-on for an always mobile, out in the wild device. I have always babied my Apple devices and have never purchased AppleCare+, but my next WATCH I will absolutely opt in.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Your best solution is to have Apple inspect the watch in person and see what they determine from there. And the reason I say have this situation conducted in person, is they can physically inspect it and discuss their conclusion with you and what they decide to do from that point forward. I find it's much more manageable to talk to Apple in person versus sending the watch in and not having a very clear explanation of what their decision was. That is, if you have an Apple store within your region.

Reactions: Vermifuge

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Your best solution is to have Apple inspect the watch in person and see what they determine from there. And the reason I say have this situation conducted in person, is they can physically inspect it and discuss their conclusion with you and what they decide to do from that point forward. I find it's much more manageable to talk to Apple in person versus sending the watch in and not having a very clear explanation of what their decision was. That is, if you have an Apple store within your region.

@cote32mt I would also like to add that you're mileage may vary depending on location. Your experience at one store might not be the same experience in another. If you have the option of going to multiple stores and one denies you, try another.

Texas26257

macrumors regular
May 22, 2016
How did you pay... I ask I did this with mine and Amex refunded my purchase price

mfa81

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
can’t you just add applecare+ now, not sure if you have the entire warranty period for the watch now that you can do for the iphone

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How did you pay... I ask I did this with mine and Amex refunded my purchase price

Albeit some credit card companies do pay for damage, they're getting more strict with their guidelines and/or might refund part of the purchase depending the circumstances.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Sorry but that looks like impact damage to me, more so than the OP’s image.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
IF there is no sign of impact damage Apple might replace under warranty. But, the image does not show clearly but it kinda looks like impact damage around the top glass where is curls into the case. There have been made who suffered damage and do not remember when or where it happened.
I don’t quite understand your last sentence. But if you are saying that I might have damaged it unknowingly, isn’t that a bad thing for the Apple watch? I’m 65 and I’ve never in my prior life broken a watch face.

Reactions: Trin813

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t quite understand your last sentence. But if you are saying that I might have damaged it unknowingly, isn’t that a bad thing for the Apple watch? I’m 65 and I’ve never in my prior life broken a watch face.

There way too many variables to call it a “bad thing” if you’re not even sure how you broke your Apple Watch display in the first place . You have to realize, the display is not indestructible either. There are many elements that could damage the Apple Watch display, it’s just a matter if you were aware of how you did it or not.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Also happened to me same craked by hitting the wall while walking at the gym... Lucky me i had Apple care and got a express replacement now i need to send them the broken one... that costed me 89$ +tx Cad. If it wasn’t for Apple care that would of been 375$ Cad +tx. At that price i would of kept it with the broken glass since it was still working perfectly, but waterproofing would be compromise.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Bernieda

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2018

I'm hoping you received a new watch.

I noticed that I couldn't "dismiss" messages on Saturday, but didn't really think anything of it because I was able to do everything else. I thought I just needed a power off/on. Then on Sunday I noticed a crack that went from the top left corner to the bottom right. There are no impact signs (no "star" or other cracks and the crack is uniform from top to bottom). The touch screen no longer works on the bottom of the crack, but works above. I reached out to Apple. They said that if there is no sign of damage and it's under warranty, it could've been from an expanding battery and they'll swap it. They said I had to take it to the store or an authorized retailer. I brought to an authorized retailer near my office and they have to send it to the repair depot. They said they've seen Apple replace the watch if there is no obvious sign of damage.

I'm sure I've banged the watch a bit, but that's what happens with watches. I don't recall any substantial hits. I've done MUCH worse with my phone and traditional watches. Even if I get a new watch from Apple, I'm a bit unimpressed.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
I'm hoping you received a new watch.

I noticed that I couldn't "dismiss" messages on Saturday, but didn't really think anything of it because I was able to do everything else. I thought I just needed a power off/on. Then on Sunday I noticed a crack that went from the top left corner to the bottom right. There are no impact signs (no "star" or other cracks and the crack is uniform from top to bottom). The touch screen no longer works on the bottom of the crack, but works above. I reached out to Apple. They said that if there is no sign of damage and it's under warranty, it could've been from an expanding battery and they'll swap it. They said I had to take it to the store or an authorized retailer. I brought to an authorized retailer near my office and they have to send it to the repair depot. They said they've seen Apple replace the watch if there is no obvious sign of damage.

I'm sure I've banged the watch a bit, but that's what happens with watches. I don't recall any substantial hits. I've done MUCH worse with my phone and traditional watches. Even if I get a new watch from Apple, I'm a bit unimpressed.
[doublepost=1525729951][/doublepost]The Apple Store (Manchester, NH) Genius refused a warranty replacement. I've attached a new photo better showing the damage - but it is actually not that easy to see in real life. I had no idea why the watch turned into a complete brick until the Apple Genius pointed the crack out to me. I'm going on 66 and own 700 shares of Apple stock so can easily afford to replace it. I never dropped it. Does Apple think an old fogey goes around violently whacking his wrist watch around on things to see if it will break? I'm telling everyone I know about my experience - its the first Apple product I'm recommending that people think twice about. But I just may have gotten a lemon.
[doublepost=1525731068][/doublepost]
@cote32mt I would also like to add that you're mileage may vary depending on location. Your experience at one store might not be the same experience in another. If you have the option of going to multiple stores and one denies you, try another.
Thanks Vermifuge for that feedback. There aren't too many convenient Apple Stores in central NH but there are several. But I expect better from Apple than having to drive around from store to store seeing who might fix it. I'm on iPhone #3 and iPad #3 as well (no cracks or damages to any of them!), so I'm not a stranger to reasonable care with tech devices. If I did whack the watch without being aware and cause the break - then I definitely don't want another one. If it's too fragile for a 66 year-old buck like me, something seems out of whack.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpg
    IMG_7231.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 2,513

Bernieda

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2018
Following up with my experience. I left my watch at the authorized retailer on Monday at noon. They sent to the repair depot. I received a call this morning from the retailer that my repaired watch was back in their store. It's actually a replaced watch (I assume refurb but don't know for sure).

FYI, they wrote on the ticket "Watch failing to hold charge. Crack appeared recently." That may have been code for the "expanded battery" issue that Apple mentioned. Also, I had no visible sign of an impact. cote32mt it does look like you have a point of origin of your crack. I'm not sure if that's the difference you are having.

So I'm happy with the result, but I hope it doesn't happen again considering the inability (or difficulty) to change a screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.