Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
Apple care is $49 and two incidents $69 each, no tax in New Hampshire.

Apple is pretty transparent when it comes to repair costs, which are readily available on their websites.

It’s a gamble.

You have $100k in Apple stock because people that don’t buy Apple care end up paying exoribtant prices for repairs or buying new items. :D
[doublepost=1526263554][/doublepost]
I have the S3 edition, S3 SBSS, S2 Nike. Also have a series 0 SS.
The newer ones have apple care active.
I as on the fence whether or not to get Apple care with the Nike. Glad I did. Smashed it when I was carrying my hockey bag and one of the double doors hit the face.
You ignore a third option: people who don’t pay exorbitant prices for repairs and who don’t buy new items and who then warn others about their experience. That’s me and it’s not good for “my” company. I hope they improve.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You ignore a third option: people who don’t pay exorbitant prices for repairs and who don’t buy new items and who then warn others about their experience. That’s me and it’s not good for “my” company. I hope they improve.

Read the bolded in your post. It doesn’t make any sense. You can’t “hope” a company improves that sells millions of Apple Watches a year just because you broke yours based on some random impact and angle, and yet you have to blame Apple for its construction. You’re just disgruntled because it happened to you, that’s why. The reality is, that could happen to anyone with an Apple Watch or any watch for that matter. It’s not guaranteed to survive any type of impact or damage.

For what it’s worth, I own the same model watch you do, I can also make the opposing argument that I have hit my Apple Watch On numerous objects over the course of the time I have owned it and it’s never suffered any type of damage. I can make the recommendation the Apple should keep releasing well made products and I have been completely pleased with them.

Reactions: tagumcity

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Again, apple didn't try to sneak the cost of repair in as a gotcha. They provided an option to you to lessen the potential financial burden at the time of purchase and up to 60 days post purchase.

The cost of the repairs is public knowledge. Apple watch repair cost. The cost of the exorbitant repair costs should have been taken into consideration when making the purchase.

For instance:
My car choices were Camry or Audi S4.

It had absolutely nothing to do with the monthly payments.

The final decision came down to the cost of routine maintenance and repairs.

Audi offered pre-pay plans that would have potentially saved me money.

However, the Camry maintenance costs were significantly lower as were repairs in general.

I understand they are 2 completely different vehicles but to me, getting A to B and back to A without draining the bank is important to me.

We could go back and forth on this all day. IMO it comes down to, Apple says hey we know life happens. Pay $49 to protect your device and we will allow two replacements for $69 each for the next two years, To boot any hardware issues in the second year will be covered and won’t count towards the two incidents.

When it comes to Apple care, apple is banking on you don’t use it and they bank the $49. The consumer is banking on they won’t need apple care and they bank $49.

The only thing is, Apple has the trump card as they control the cost of the repairs.

Having friends that work at apple I hear the stories similar to yours, especially with macbook pros.

Your voice is important to be heard by as many people as possible. This will help them make a more informed decision in regards to purchasing Apple care and getting the most out of their devices

Reactions: tagumcity

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Unless individuals like me speak out, one cannot determine if it is a “minority” having this issue, thus my speaking out. My 2-month old watch was the sapphire cellular version BTW. My complaining is intended to warn others about my concerns about its construction so they won’t buy blindly like I did. And complaining about durability has to start somewhere. So no apologies on my part for communicating my experience. And I have never experienced a prior watch becoming damaged in any way. And I’m not in my 30s.

I agree knowing what I know now, that a protective case for anyone with an Apple Watch is a must-have add on. My watch barely fit under the sleeves of some of my shirts however. So not sure how an additional layer of thickness would affect its wearability.
[doublepost=1526262137][/doublepost]
Apple Care costs about $70. And then there is a deductible of about $70 per incident. So it’s not cheap if you expect to handle your device with care. Does Apple warn you up front that a small crack in your $400 watch face will brick it unless you pay $280 to have it fixed? No.

I have about 10 years of iPad - iPhone ownership combined with zero issues - so safe to conclude that I am relatively careful with my devices.

Would you be surprised to know that I own over $100K in Apple stock and I’m still pissed?
[doublepost=1526262349][/doublepost]
Do you have an Apple Watch and did you know when you bought it that it would cost you $280 to fix a cracked face?

I have no idea why it matters if you have $100k in stock. You can buy a new watch and give apple more money or get Apple Care plus and give them more money upfront. Either way they win.

Anyhoo... why do you think people in their 30s are more likely to break things? As people get older, they have more falls, poorer refluxes, and worse balance. I have a business that helps seniors, so I have experience there. You think that you don't do anything to break your devices as you are careful, but insurance isn't for when you are careful...it is for ACCIDENTS. Insurance helps when something unexpected and unplanned happens. I have coverage on my cars even though I am careful with them. I don't head out each morning assuming I'll crash.... and in fact many drivers go decades without crashing... but they know it is a possibility. Furthermore, your watch...like your car could be knocked into by someone else. I have had people knock into my wrist with their watch in crowded venues like concerts and sports arenas. So, the moral of my post is...if you don't want to replace the repair cost on your watch bc it breaks, get Apple Care plus. Don't assume nothing will happen.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
My car choice is 911 (This had to be said!) but how does this help the OP to understand that his attitude brings him nowhere :rolleyes:

There are alternative products that perform the same tasks that are less expensive to purchase and maintain.

I struggle with his situation as the information is readily available.

Also that the face of the watch is glass of sort and can experience failure initiated by an impact, however slight.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
I have no idea why it matters if you have $100k in stock. You can buy a new watch and give apple more money or get Apple Care plus and give them more money upfront. Either way they win.

Anyhoo... why do you think people in their 30s are more likely to break things? As people get older, they have more falls, poorer refluxes, and worse balance. I have a business that helps seniors, so I have experience there. You think that you don't do anything to break your devices as you are careful, but insurance isn't for when you are careful...it is for ACCIDENTS. Insurance helps when something unexpected and unplanned happens. I have coverage on my cars even though I am careful with them. I don't head out each morning assuming I'll crash.... and in fact many drivers go decades without crashing... but they know it is a possibility. Furthermore, your watch...like your car could be knocked into by someone else. I have had people knock into my wrist with their watch in crowded venues like concerts and sports arenas. So, the moral of my post is...if you don't want to replace the repair cost on your watch bc it breaks, get Apple Care plus. Don't assume nothing will happen.
The logic for the stock disclosure is so that readers of this thread don’t just assume I’m some techno-illiterate old-timer. I am and have have been for many years an Apple enthusiast, both as an investor and an owner of their products.

My point about my age was meant to convey that I have not in all my history broken through neglect anything in the $400+ category. Consumer Reports just ran an article in their June 2018 issue about cell phone users identifying that “at least 50 percent of respondents have reported at least one major smartphone fiasco during the previous 24 months.” Until my Apple Watch, which lasted 2 months, that was not me at all.

Insurance can be an insidious issue. Did you insure the last microwave oven you bought? What about your mattress, sofa, refrigerator, stove, vacation, vacuum cleaner, table saw, lawn mower, etc?? As for me, I just expect that something I buy lasts a reasonable time period and that an additional insurance tax on everything is not the right way to go.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The logic for the stock disclosure is so that readers of this thread don’t just assume I’m some techno-illiterate old-timer. I am and have have been for many years an Apple enthusiast, both as an investor and an owner of their products.

My point about my age was meant to convey that I have not in all my history broken through neglect anything in the $400+ category. Consumer Reports just ran an article in their June 2018 issue about cell phone users identifying that “at least 50 percent of respondents have reported at least one major smartphone fiasco during the previous 24 months.” Until my Apple Watch, which lasted 2 months, that was not me at all.

Insurance can be an insidious issue. Did you insure the last microwave oven you bought? What about your mattress, sofa, refrigerator, stove, vacation, vacuum cleaner, table saw, lawn mower, etc?? As for me, I just expect that something I buy lasts a reasonable time period and that an additional insurance tax on everything is not the right way to go.

Since you asked, I do have coverage on my sofa since I have kids. My vacuum is from Costco and they take returns on those for a while. My house appliances I have contemplated adding a home warranty for but haven't done so yet as my house is only 3 years old and some of them I would rather replace than fix. I do have a warranty on my washer and dryer and I use them a lot. So yes... I do spend a lot on warranties and insurance. I don't currently own a lawn mower but could ask my landscaper if he has a warranty on his. My mattress does not as we bought it was part of a group purchase.... and we couldn't add one because of the special pricing we received. So there you have it. Oh and vacation... YES! We do have travel insurance for our upcoming summer vacation.... bc I know people can get sick or have other issues and not be able to go. And my parents are closer to your age and they too take travel coverage.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My point about my age was meant to convey that I have not in all my history broken through neglect anything in the $400+ category.

But your age is completely irrelevant to the fact that you were wearing a smart watch, you hit it on something and you broke it. It was a random act that you had no control over and now you’re upset with Apple because of your own actions. Yet you want to blame the construction that it should have survived that specific incident. You don’t have an argument at all. Some have been in similar situations were there watches have survived and others have not, for some other reason, you’re inclined to believe that for the price point, the Apple Watch survive any random impacts and not suffer any damage.

Consumer Reports just ran an article in their June 2018 issue about cell phone users identifying that “at least 50 percent of respondents have reported at least one major smartphone fiasco during the previous 24 months.” Until my Apple Watch, which lasted 2 months, that was not me at all.

Not Sure what a consumer report has anything to do with an iPhone versus a smart watch. Two completely different categories, and a smart watch is likely much more prone to damage because it’s not usually protected with a case, and it’s on your wrist constantly moving. I think you’re wasting a lot of your energy on this thread for something that you easily could accept, but you don’t want to take responsibility for your own actions how the watch broke initially.

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky

The damage doesn’t have to be “neglect”; accidents can and do happen. My wife and I weren’t regular watch wearers before we purchased our first Apple Watches, and I’ve never purchased AppleCare+ before (I’ve owned Apple products for decades, and multiple iPhones beginning with the first generation). We both decided to use a case for our watches (even though I hate the look), just until we got used to wearing tiny computers on our wrists.

We both took a gamble, and knock on wood have had no issues. But we both knew there were risks, we accepted those risks, and I would’ve done the same thing you did and tried to have Apple replace my watch if mine also produced a mystery crack. But if Apple denied my request and said it’s $280 to repair it, I wouldn’t blame Apple for anything. I understood the risks and took a gamble, and I knew how much a repair would be by researching others experiences here and Apple’s own web page listing repair costs; most of the time the gamble works, but every now and then it doesn’t.

It sucks to get struck by lightning, but I think if you buy a new one it would last you well beyond two months and you’ll just chalk this up to the “sometimes life isn’t fair” category.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH

Okay, a little story for all you appreciated critics of my complaining (I know you mean well). Four or five years ago my first or second iPhone home button became very finicky. I went to the Apple store - out of warranty, no can fix unless you pay us about $150. I went elsewhere and had it replaced for $75 (and sent Apple an unkind message). About 3 months later Apple announced that those home buttons were defective and was covering repair costs, including people who had paid for repairs on their own. I didn’t bother filing a claim at that point since I had already upgraded to the next iPhone.

Moral of the story: Apple doesn’t always get it right. Someone has to complain for them to figure it out.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
After 2 months, my Apple Watch 3 has a cracked screen (diagonally across the top right corner), the touch function is gone so I can’t enter my passcode - so it is essentially a brick. I’m certain I didn’t drop it or whack it against anything. Apple won’t repair it under warranty and it would cost me $280 for repair. That’s not going to happen. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
In response to the bolded line above, do you have the AW set up to unlock when you unlock your iPhone? You could at least unpair it at that point and maybe reinstall the system. Maybe it'll jolt the touchscreen into working.

alternatively, there may be 3rd party screens available, but it might require a replacement NFC chip or something like that.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

As discussed, you broke it, Apple doesn’t have to fix it but are being nice by offering a ‘repair’ fee of 280 rather that you shelling out for a new one. With your attitude they shouldn’t bother. You seem old enough to be liable for your own actions, you should maybe take some personable responsibility and don’t be part of the entitled generation.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
As discussed, you broke it, Apple doesn’t have to fix it but are being nice by offering a ‘repair’ fee of 280 rather that you shelling out for a new one. With your attitude they shouldn’t bother. You seem old enough to be liable for your own actions, you should maybe take some personable responsibility and don’t be part of the entitled generation.
Ouch, may your Apple Watch face crack and brick!! (Just kidding)
[doublepost=1526336879][/doublepost]
Ouch, may your Apple Watch face crack and brick!! (Just kidding)
In response to the bolded line above, do you have the AW set up to unlock when you unlock your iPhone? You could at least unpair it at that point and maybe reinstall the system. Maybe it'll jolt the touchscreen into working.

alternatively, there may be 3rd party screens available, but it might require a replacement NFC chip or something like that.
Thanks for the several minutes of hope - got it started back up with the iPhone on, the watch asked for the password right away. The left 2/3 of the screen is touch responsive - need the right 1/3 to get in with PW... Same situation with an attempt to reset it, asks for click on right side of screen.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

I don’t wear my microwave on my wrist. If I did I might expect it to get a little more wear and tear than having it just sat in the kitchen.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
I don’t wear my microwave on my wrist. If I did I might expect it to get a little more wear and tear than having it just sat in the kitchen.
Yeh, well they sell insurance for that. So don’t go posting anywhere if your device ***** the bed some day when your lights flicker, or even if they don’t flicker.

I stand by my assertion that I didn’t whack the watch and that it cracking was a defect. Or that if I did “bump” the watch, that the crystal had a defect making it prone to failure. Quality control is a matter of statistics and it’s reasonable to assume that some of the watch faces that make it to market are more vulnerable than others. I got a lemon.

Last edited:

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Yeh, well they sell insurance for that. So don’t go posting anywhere if your device ***** the bed some day when your lights flicker, or even if they don’t flicker.

I stand by my assertion that I didn’t whack the watch and that it cracking was a defect. Or that if I did “bump” the watch, that the crystal had a defect making it prone to failure. Quality control is a matter of statistics and it’s reasonable to assume that some of the watch faces that make it to market are more vulnerable than others. I got a lemon.

I've had a watch face smash on me and I also didn't have apple care I can understand the frustration at the expense, believe me.
I'm not sure how mine got mashed but i suspect my wife knocked it on to the floor when it was charging, in-fact I'm certain thats what happened she just won't admit it.
I did learn my lesson though and when i upgrade i won't think twice about apple care. To compare this to other watches I don't think is totally fair either, the devices are not comparable in my opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

So why the constant complaining and not actually go and do something about this versus claim “I got a lemon”, when in fact, you did not. I think you’re in complete denial for something that you won’t take responsibility for something that you inherently caused yourself. You spend and invest all your time complaining on a tech forum, but have not achieved any results by actually discussing any further possibilities what you could do to rectify the issue after the fact. Its futile.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Seems straightforward to me. Apple watch sustained an impact and the screen is cracked. I never understand why people don't own up to it and that's it. I bumped my stainless steel AW last week into a door. The steel was scratched and I managed to buff it out. It was my fault. I know my AW isn't indestructible. I also damaged my AW sports model before by bumping into something and it scratched the glass. My fault again. Most people do damage things, intentional or accidental. It happens. Hense, Apple Care. I worked in a repair centre for laptops and the stories I read about how a laptop become damaged were amazing! (usually included with the laptop). Usually two sides of A4. Just to obtain a free repair! These stories would make J. K. Rowling look like an amatuer story teller.

However, everyone has a card (like Pokemon) and I love that you used the 'age card' the 'I got a lemon' card, and especially the 'I do not accept any responsibility at all' card regarding the damage. Usually quite good cards. Unfortunately, Apple had the 'not covered by warranty' card and used the 'paid repair' cards. May I suggest the 'Apple care' card and definitely avoid the 'in denial' card.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

I must move along now. This thread has become ridiculous and it is not worth wearing out my iPhone typing responses anymore. Go ahead and believe that your watch crack was just a light bump...and you just have a lemon. If I remember correctly this all started with just a photo of a crack and not the photo clearly showing the impact. I should have known then you were just trying to get people to agree with you and didn’t want to share all the facts. And stop with the ridiculous age card. My grandpa was still running races at 76 and was super active and thank goodness his old age lifestyle would have been risky to an Apple Watch. I would be way more proud of being active at your age than bragging about how there’s no way you could do this. I hope my watch is always at risk bc I am active my whole life long!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There is an Apple discussion thread about watches that get swollen batteries and push their faces off, but those cracks look a bit different than your pic. Might be worth following though.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8223086

Although true there is a recall for the first generation Apple Watch with swollen batteries, I don’t believe that’s the issue here at all compared to what the OP won’t take responsibility for something they did and Blaming Apple for its overall construction.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
I must move along now. This thread has become ridiculous and it is not worth wearing out my iPhone typing responses anymore. Go ahead and believe that your watch crack was just a light bump...and you just have a lemon. If I remember correctly this all started with just a photo of a crack and not the photo clearly showing the impact. I should have known then you were just trying to get people to agree with you and didn’t want to share all the facts. And stop with the ridiculous age card. My grandpa was still running races at 76 and was super active and thank goodness his old age lifestyle would have been risky to an Apple Watch. I would be way more proud of being active at your age than bragging about how there’s no way you could do this. I hope my watch is always at risk bc I am active my whole life long!
It’s interesting that you didn’t respond to an earlier comment of mine in this thread detailing an iPhone home button failure I experienced and fixed at my expense at a third party repair shop after an exorbitant quote from Apple. Then Apple later decided that there was a legitimate defect and offered restitution. I don’t get why some can’t accept that I might be right in my issue. Apple isn’t always right.

BTW, two thumbs up to to staying active. I climbed the Middle Teton two years ago (won’t do that again I’m sure), but being active and risking breaking things is a fine pursuit!

p.s. I have a 20-year old hand-me-down Weber gas grill (probably cost about the same then as my broken Apple Watch just did) that is on its last legs, with some reasonably priced replacement parts added in the interim. Why is it that now so many think almost everything needs to be insured for a reasonable life expectancy?

p.p.s. - I’m tired of this thread, as many of you are, and am done with it. Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

Cman548

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
My watch cracked while i was walking around open-air outside. Crack was assuredly not there when i left the house.

Reactions: cote32mt

Sixcranker

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I never thought for a minute an Apple Watch case would exist - thanks for pointing out that link! I’ve never gone without a case on any of my iPhones or iPads.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Ru...pID=41ydmMxqnTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I work in IT around a lot of towers and server units hitting my wrist up against them, as well as being pretty active out in the yard and for fitness. I have had it since October and no impacts or scratches at all on my watch face. Excellent investment for $14.

Reactions: cote32mt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.