Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I have the same crack on my Series 0, it's been there for years, and it's because I accidentally skipped it against a brick wall.

If your screen was coming off OP I'd think you'd have a case (glue giving out). But this is clearly an impact. Just because you can't recall when it happened doesn't mean it didn't. Our hands move all over the place day to day. It sucks, but you hit it against something at some point without realizing it.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
Following up with my experience. I left my watch at the authorized retailer on Monday at noon. They sent to the repair depot. I received a call this morning from the retailer that my repaired watch was back in their store. It's actually a replaced watch (I assume refurb but don't know for sure).

FYI, they wrote on the ticket "Watch failing to hold charge. Crack appeared recently." That may have been code for the "expanded battery" issue that Apple mentioned. Also, I had no visible sign of an impact. cote32mt it does look like you have a point of origin of your crack. I'm not sure if that's the difference you are having.

So I'm happy with the result, but I hope it doesn't happen again considering the inability (or difficulty) to change a screen
Thank you for that helpful information Bermieda. I agree a “point of origin” impactmmay be my difficulty. If my normal lifestyle (“I do a lot of yard work”) caused this crack without my being aware of it, the Apple Watch is just too fragile for my 65-year old life-style and I refuse to replace it on my dime and will complain plenty!

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
If my normal lifestyle (“I do a lot of yard work”) caused this crack without my being aware of it, the Apple Watch is just too fragile for my 65-year old life-style
Here's the thing though, anything is too fragile if you just hit it the right (or well, the wrong) way. It doesn't even have to be a very hard impact, just an unlucky one, in a sufficiently small, concentrated area, typically on or near the edge of the display.

It's basically impossible to guard against that, as it's inherent to the innate properties of any hard translucent material; it's going to be brittle. Nothing Apple can do anything about, short of inventing some new hitherto unknown class of material.

and I refuse to replace it on my dime and will complain plenty!
Well I dunno what you've been taught in your - as you keep reminding everyone - 965-year old life, but ordinarily if you break a thing you have to pay yourself to fix it as well. Else, call up your home insurance company, maybe you have coverage through there. Usually sizeable deductible tho, but that's life.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
Here's the thing though, anything is too fragile if you just hit it the right (or well, the wrong) way. It doesn't even have to be a very hard impact, just an unlucky one, in a sufficiently small, concentrated area, typically on or near the edge of the display.

It's basically impossible to guard against that, as it's inherent to the innate properties of any hard translucent material; it's going to be brittle. Nothing Apple can do anything about, short of inventing some new hitherto unknown class of material.

Well I dunno what you've been taught in your - as you keep reminding everyone - 965-year old life, but ordinarily if you break a thing you have to pay yourself to fix it as well. Else, call up your home insurance company, maybe you have coverage through there. Usually sizeable deductible tho, but that's life.

Well, keep in mind I have never in my “965-year old” life cracked a watch face or any of the 6 iPhones/iPads I’ve owned...

I really think a defect is involved here and just want my story out so that if there are repeats from others, the info will accumulate and a more just compensation will take place.

Plus, I don’t think I agree that an “unlucky, not a very hard impact” should brick a $400 device. If the Apple Watch is susceptible to that, I don’t see how it can be marketed.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well, keep in mind I have never in my “965-year old” life cracked a watch face or any of the 6 iPhones/iPads I’ve owned...

I really think a defect is involved here and just want my story out so that if there are repeats from others, the info will accumulate and a more just compensation will take place.

Plus, I don’t think I agree that an “unlucky, not a very hard impact” should brick a $400 device. If the Apple Watch is susceptible to that, I don’t see how it can be marketed.
...Do any of the watches you’ve owned in the past have a computer screen on the front of them?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The Reality is, the Apple Watch display is not impervious to damage. It can break or scratch, because of how our wrists are constantly moving, it’s more prone to hit hard objects and then factor in different angles, Obviously resulting in on explicable damage sometimes.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
You see, that right there's the problem with anecdotal evidence: low sample size. There's always a first time for everything, and we humans like to see pattern in things, but when there isn't one we draw faulty conclusions.

Fact is, you could have cracked any of your phones or pads just the same way, since - as I mentioned - brittleness is inherent to glass (and incidentally even more so to sapphire crystal.) Which we all knew anyway, right? I mean, it's not as if it's news to us that glass is brittle. That you haven't cracked any phones or pads so far isn't in of itself evidence that you're never going to experience a cracked display.

Many unlucky people say the same thing about smartphones. Drop them just once and you could wreck the whole display. Yet they're some of the most popular devices around, considered essential even by many people, and now with "wireless" charging (using a pad, which has a wire leading to it...) there's glass on the front AND the back too, for double the glass-cracking fun!

I'm 19 years younger than you, and I've owned my watch for nearly 3 years now without cracking it. Yet, touch wood. Don't try to draw any conclusions though, because like I said, anecdotal evidence. :)

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Thank you for that helpful information Bermieda. I agree a “point of origin” impactmmay be my difficulty. If my normal lifestyle (“I do a lot of yard work”) caused this crack without my being aware of it, the Apple Watch is just too fragile for my 65-year old life-style and I refuse to replace it on my dime and will complain plenty!

On your last picture one can easily spot the point of impact. The impact point is at the upper mid screen where it curves. From the the crack goes to the left and right.
Most impacts seem to happen on the side that points away from the body wich is quite plausible. The bigger the watch the more prominent it is on a smaller wrist and the more it is prone to bumping into things in the proximity of your wrist like walls or door handles.

What size is the case 42, or 38? It looks like a 38 to me.
I hope you can understand why Apple refused to repair it for free. I bumped my watch into a lot and even wore it while bouldering once - without cracking the screen (but scratching it). The watch can take a lot of abuse but a little force at the wrong place can crack every screen.

Sell 2 :apple: stocks and get a new one :cool:

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
On your last picture one can easily spot the point of impact. The impact point is at the upper mid screen where it curves. From the the crack goes to the left and right.
Most impacts seem to happen on the side that points away from the body wich is quite plausible. The bigger the watch the more prominent it is on a smaller wrist and the more it is prone to bumping into things in the proximity of your wrist like walls or door handles.

What size is the case 42, or 38? It looks like a 38 to me.
I hope you can understand why Apple refused to repair it for free. I bumped my watch into a lot and even wore it while bouldering once - without cracking the screen (but scratching it). The watch can take a lot of abuse but a little force at the wrong place can crack every screen.

Sell 2 :apple: stocks and get a new one :cool:
It was the 42. Given that the crack happened in January or February, it is also highly likely that the watch was under a shirt or jacket sleeve, which should have offered some additional protection, when it failed. In the two months I had it, I never was able to get the heart rate function working to my satisfaction (erratic readings). So yes, I will sell those 2 :apple: shares and buy another one eventually, but will probably wait another generation or two to give Apple more time to work on the technology.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For OP.
https://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gadgets/g968/protective-apple-watch-cases/?slide=1

It sucks things like this happened. I pray it’ll never happen to mine.

I never thought for a minute an Apple Watch case would exist - thanks for pointing out that link! I’ve never gone without a case on any of my iPhones or iPads.

You have to use caution with those bumpers that surround the Apple Watch casing, as debris can get trapped inside, which could scratch the aluminum, causing further damage. They are usually difficult to put on and take off, but I would make sure that the bumper is removed once in a while to clean the Apple Watch and inside the bumper itself.

Cman548

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
You have to use caution with those bumpers that surround the Apple Watch casing, as debris can get trapped inside, which could scratch the aluminum, causing further damage. They are usually difficult to put on and take off, but I would make sure that the bumper is removed once in a while to clean the Apple Watch and inside the bumper itself.

Happened to me today, signed up here to add my name to the list. Put it on this morning, signed in, dismissed a few notifications.

We drove to an event. I walked around in the sun for 20 minutes or so. Looked down, cracked. From top right to mid-left. I wear it on the left hand, but with the wheel on the left (inner) side.

No impact mark. I think being in the sun messed with the metal. Aluminum.
[doublepost=1526169594][/doublepost]
7B2887D4-15DC-49FF-B695-32185EAE7863.jpeg
Happened to me today, signed up here to add my name to the list. Put it on this morning, signed in, dismissed a few notifications

We drove to an event. I walked around in the sun for 20 minutes or so. Looked down, cracked. From top right to mid-left. I wear it on the left hand, but with the wheel on the left (inner) side.

No impact mark. I think being in the sun messed with the metal. Aluminum.

Attachments

• 93C56A74-C4E9-41BE-BF2D-15E040DC7E5B.jpeg
    93C56A74-C4E9-41BE-BF2D-15E040DC7E5B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 303

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
OP, that looks like an impact. I have had all the Apple Watch generations so far...and I broke one without realizing it. So did my brother. We are both over 35. And I bought Apple stock back when I was in my early 20s (not sure what that proves)...but I also buy AppleCare plus bc I have been around the Apple block before.

I really is easy to make a mistake an knock it into a door knob or something while walking. I have bumped my watches on the inside of the dryer getting clothes out. Things just happen.
[doublepost=1526183355][/doublepost]

I think we forget. We are wearing a tiny screen with a computer in it on our wrist. It is fragile. It is going to experience different forces that day an iPad. My iPads and phones are all in cases....my watch isn’t...but it gets swung in all sorts of directions all the time. I exercise, I swim, I take it down my water slide (I’m sure that isn’t allowed), I shower with it, I do housework etc. If you wore are other screen device on your wrist full time, I guarantee it would fail a lot quicker. But if you don’t want another one...don’t get another one. Just know my kids have had post of other smart watch devices from other manufacturers and the failed a lot more quickly...like weeks.

I absolutely think my watch is plenty durable. I get apple care for the random incident that will break it.

Take some other special glass item you have and bang it right on a curve and see how it does. That impact happened mostly on the glass. To expect it to not be affected is unusual to me.

Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
You would be surprised at how many times a day you ‘bash’ your watch off of things and don’t realise it, desks, door frames, various objects you pass. Especially if you swing your arms when you walk. Just takes one good crack which catches the edge. For normal watches it’s generally of no consequence as the glass is normally edged by metal but with this design the glass edge is exposed. My wife works at a nursery (kindergarten) and became paranoid about bashing it that she bought a plastic case to protect against bumps and scrapes.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
You would be surprised at how many times a day you ‘bash’ your watch off of things and don’t realise it, desks, door frames, various objects you pass. Especially if you swing your arms when you walk. Just takes one good crack which catches the edge. For normal watches it’s generally of no consequence as the glass is normally edged by metal but with this design the glass edge is exposed. My wife works at a nursery (kindergarten) and became paranoid about bashing it that she bought a plastic case to protect against bumps and scrapes.
So, if for normal watches, “bashing your watch” is of “generally of no consequence,” shouldn’t a $400 watch incorporate similar design principles? Not to mention the insult of the $280 repair cost, which is probably what it cost Apple to make the watch in the first place.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
So, if for normal watches, “bashing your watch” is of “generally of no consequence,” shouldn’t a $400 watch incorporate similar design principles? Not to mention the insult of the $280 repair cost, which is probably what it cost Apple to make the watch in the first place.

A watch can incorporate any design they want to give it, you don’t have to buy it. If you have concerns about it’s construction don’t buy it, if you have had watches before and they look a bit dinged up, with scrapes and scratches then you should consider a protective case or purchasing a sapphire glass version. You can also buy insurance to cover accidental damage.

It would appear that Apple have sold millions of Apple watches over the last few years without any major outcry over smashed screens so you would appear to be in the minority.

They charge $280 to replace the watch when it’s broken out of warranty or if you have broken it accidentally or otherwise. They don’t have to repair it at all in that instance but they offer this service to provide you with a lower cost replacement rather than you have if to purchase a new one. Would you rather they turn around and say, can’t repair it, go buy a new one?

Reactions: bruinsrme

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

But in the end, its a smart watch. Its durable, but not guaranteed to survive any type impact. Its constructed of aluminum and glass. Its also expected when a watch is used daily, its likely to be involved in accidents. I still look at this like its a disposable device that’s not really intended to last as long as some higher end mechanical Watches.

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
The Reality is, the Apple Watch display is not impervious to damage. It can break or scratch, because of how our wrists are constantly moving, it’s more prone to hit hard objects and then factor in different angles, Obviously resulting in on explicable damage sometimes.

This is why I can’t stress the importance of purchasing Apple care to my friends and family.
Those that haven’t listened complain (2)
Those that have it have found seeming cheaper than buying a new watch. (3)
[doublepost=1526258746][/doublepost]

Did Apple offer you applecare; 2 year service plan for $49 which covered 2 accidental incidents with a $69 deductible for each occurrence?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

They didn’t just give you the $280 repair cost. You had the choice to get Apple Care plus or not. People need to acknowledge where their responsibility lies too. My bro had the same thing happen, he hit his watch and broke it... he didn’t get Apple care and he was angry since he usually does...difference was he said I should have bought Apple care plus. Why is that left out of your complaint. Only apple’s fault. You didn’t think you would break it so you took a risk. You self insured. Self insuring is more costly when the item breaks.

The watch survives many bumps as many people have explained and experiences. It won’t survive all bumps. We all have heard of the person who dropped their phone on carpet just wrong and had their phone screen shatter. It goes for any electronic device with a glass screen. Sometimes it just breaks. No, Apple can’t engineer it to survive all possible scenarios. That is not realistic.

cote32mt

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Deerfield NH
A watch can incorporate any design they want to give it, you don’t have to buy it. If you have concerns about it’s construction don’t buy it, if you have had watches before and they look a bit dinged up, with scrapes and scratches then you should consider a protective case or purchasing a sapphire glass version. You can also buy insurance to cover accidental damage.

It would appear that Apple have sold millions of Apple watches over the last few years without any major outcry over smashed screens so you would appear to be in the minority.

They charge $280 to replace the watch when it’s broken out of warranty or if you have broken it accidentally or otherwise. They don’t have to repair it at all in that instance but they offer this service to provide you with a lower cost replacement rather than you have if to purchase a new one. Would you rather they turn around and say, can’t repair it, go buy a new one?
Unless individuals like me speak out, one cannot determine if it is a “minority” having this issue, thus my speaking out. My 2-month old watch was the sapphire cellular version BTW. My complaining is intended to warn others about my concerns about its construction so they won’t buy blindly like I did. And complaining about durability has to start somewhere. So no apologies on my part for communicating my experience. And I have never experienced a prior watch becoming damaged in any way. And I’m not in my 30s.

I agree knowing what I know now, that a protective case for anyone with an Apple Watch is a must-have add on. My watch barely fit under the sleeves of some of my shirts however. So not sure how an additional layer of thickness would affect its wearability.
[doublepost=1526262137][/doublepost]
They didn’t just give you the $280 repair cost. You had the choice to get Apple Care plus or not. People need to acknowledge where their responsibility lies too. My bro had the same thing happen, he hit his watch and broke it... he didn’t get Apple care and he was angry since he usually does...difference was he said I should have bought Apple care plus. Why is that left out of your complaint. Only apple’s fault. You didn’t think you would break it so you took a risk. You self insured. Self insuring is more costly when the item breaks.

The watch survives many bumps as many people have explained and experiences. It won’t survive all bumps. We all have heard of the person who dropped their phone on carpet just wrong and had their phone screen shatter. It goes for any electronic device with a glass screen. Sometimes it just breaks. No, Apple can’t engineer it to survive all possible scenarios. That is not realistic.
Apple Care costs about $70. And then there is a deductible of about $70 per incident. So it’s not cheap if you expect to handle your device with care. Does Apple warn you up front that a small crack in your $400 watch face will brick it unless you pay $280 to have it fixed? No.

I have about 10 years of iPad - iPhone ownership combined with zero issues - so safe to conclude that I am relatively careful with my devices.

Would you be surprised to know that I own over $100K in Apple stock and I’m still pissed?
[doublepost=1526262349][/doublepost]
This is why I can’t stress the importance of purchasing Apple care to my friends and family.
Those that haven’t listened complain (2)
Those that have it have found seeming cheaper than buying a new watch. (3)
[doublepost=1526258746][/doublepost]

Did Apple offer you applecare; 2 year service plan for $49 which covered 2 accidental incidents with a $69 deductible for each occurrence?
Do you have an Apple Watch and did you know when you bought it that it would cost you $280 to fix a cracked face?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Unless individuals like me speak out, one cannot determine if it is a “minority” having this issue, thus my speaking out. My 2-month old watch was the sapphire cellular version BTW. My complaining is intended to warn others about my concerns about its construction so they won’t buy blindly like I did. And complaining about durability has to start somewhere. So no apologies on my part for communicating my experience. And I have never experienced a prior watch becoming damaged in any way. And I’m not in my 30s.

I agree knowing what I know now, that a protective case for anyone with an Apple Watch is a must-have add on. My watch barely fit under the sleeves of some of my shirts however. So not sure how an additional layer of thickness would affect its wearability.
Apple Care costs about $70. And then there is a deductible of about $70 per incident. So it’s not cheap if you expect to handle your device with care. Does Apple warn you up front that a small crack in your $400 watch face will brick it unless you pay $280 to have it fixed? No.

I have about 10 years of iPad - iPhone ownership combined with zero issues - so safe to conclude that I am relatively careful with my devices.

Would you be surprised to know that I own over $100K in Apple stock and I’m still pissed?

Apple care is $49 and two incidents $69 each, no tax in New Hampshire.

Apple is pretty transparent when it comes to repair costs, which are readily available on their websites.

It’s a gamble.

You have $100k in Apple stock because people that don’t buy Apple care end up paying exoribtant prices for repairs or buying new items. :D
[doublepost=1526263554][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1526262349][/doublepost]
Do you have an Apple Watch and did you know when you bought it that it would cost you $280 to fix a cracked face?
I have the S3 edition, S3 SBSS, S2 Nike. Also have a series 0 SS.
The newer ones have apple care active.
I as on the fence whether or not to get Apple care with the Nike. Glad I did. Smashed it when I was carrying my hockey bag and one of the double doors hit the face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.