Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mansley12

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
My guess would be issues with hardware acceleration. It's semi broken on ppc. I don't know what boot parameters you are using, but try running it with software 2d/3d rendering. Just pass: radeon.agpmode=-1 video=1600x1200-16 to the kernel at boot and see if that helps.

Cheers

My guess would be issues with hardware acceleration. It's semi broken on ppc. I don't know what boot parameters you are using, but try running it with software 2d/3d rendering. Just pass: radeon.agpmode=-1 video=1600x1200-16 to the kernel at boot and see if that helps.

Cheers
No luck. I have Yaboot and added it like the following. Look ok?
IMG_20210321_151709.jpg

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yep, it looks correct. Bummer. Was worth a shot. Now i know some nvidia cards had issues with screen tearing and unreadable text with the 5.x kernels (a few posts about it early in this thread), but i haven't seen any issues with the radeon 9xxx cards. My 9200 (macmini), 9600 (G5), and 9600/9700 Mobility (powerbook) have all worked flawlessly. Although i DO have to use the 4.x kernels on my dual G5 because for some reason the 5.x kernels either wont boot, or the screen gets garbled after awhile. The 4.x kernels (void and debian/ubuntu) don't have this issue on that machine.

Another thought... do you have any compositors running? Like compton, marco, etc? Those can be problematic, or oddly can also fix certain display issues.

Cheers

mansley12

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
Yep, it looks correct. Bummer. Was worth a shot. Now i know some nvidia cards had issues with screen tearing and unreadable text with the 5.x kernels (a few posts about it early in this thread), but i haven't seen any issues with the radeon 9xxx cards. My 9200 (macmini), 9600 (G5), and 9600/9700 Mobility (powerbook) have all worked flawlessly. Although i DO have to use the 4.x kernels on my dual G5 because for some reason the 5.x kernels either wont boot, or the screen gets garbled after awhile. The 4.x kernels (void and debian/ubuntu) don't have this issue on that machine.

Another thought... do you have any compositors running? Like compton, marco, etc? Those can be problematic, or oddly can also fix certain display issues.

Cheers
No compositors. I haven't done much since the install. However, it wasn't a clean install. The mirrors didn't work during install, including the the desktop environment(s) so I had to install them after the initial boot. Perhaps I installed newer packages I shouldn't have?

My goal is to simply steam music and browse...maybe minitube if I can get it to work. Any remix or distro you suggest I try? G5 dual 2.0ghz with 1.5gb memory (4gb on the way) and 128gb ssd.

Mar

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
If your needs are that simple:
My Ubuntu 12.04 remix will fly on that machine. Its actually what I use on my G5 (with void on another partition for testing purposes). Super easy install. The dvd boots to a live desktop to test before installing.

Linked near the bottom of first post.

Otherwise there's still Ubuntu 16.04, Adelie, Void-PPC, MintPPC (debian based), Fienix (debian based), Crux-ppc, and Gentoo. There's also the BSD's but they have crap for browsers.

As for youtube....

...and updates for the included browsers with a few extra browsers added: (scroll the whole page for more)

Cheers

Last edited:

mansley12

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
My Ubuntu 12.04 remix will fly on that machine. Its actually what I use on my G5 (with void on another partition for testing purposes). Super easy install. The dvd boots to a live desktop to test before installing.

Otherwise there's still Ubuntu 16.04, Adelie, Void-PPC, MintPPC (debian based), Fienix (debian based), Crux-ppc, and Gentoo. There's also the BSD's but they have crap for browsers.

As for youtube....

...and updates for the included browsers with a few extra browsers added: (scroll the whole page for more)

Cheers
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm just going to ask one more question and move it to the other threads if it's not an easy fix. I just loaded up the 12 and the 16 remix versions you have but neither will detect my keyboard or mouse. Just to make sure I loaded up OS X and your Sid remix and the mouse and keyboard are fine.

Any ideas?

mansley12

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2019
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'm just going to ask one more question and move it to the other threads if it's not an easy fix. I just loaded up the 12 and the 16 remix versions you have but neither will detect my keyboard or mouse. Just to make sure I loaded up OS X and your Sid remix and the mouse and keyboard are fine.

Any ideas?
Nevermind. 16.04 seems to be working at the moment with my mouse and keyboard (usb/wired). I am going to let it finish installing and test it out.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA

As for youtube....

Cheers
Back to trying to install Debian Remix using the wicknix/swamp rock instructions. At the end of the process it mentions logging back in and installing a desktop (LXDE, Debian etc) I followed the instructions and was greeted with (pick the desktop manager) Error loading (desktop manager) not found. I even through IceWM and Gnome at it and none of the desktop managers were found. I boot into Debian Remix install using Linux nomodeset so I can get to a text login. Nothing from the yaboot boot loader screen gets me to a desktop GUI. I’m guessing that’s because a desktop manager isn’t installed yet. I have not done an apt-get install/upgrade yet because I haven’t been able to get to a working desktop. This is on the 867Mhz, 1G RAM, Nvidia GeForce4 MX 420 Rev 3 GPU.

I’m also still having trouble loading MacBuntu on the same machine as the install process failes to complete. The install doesn’t recognize the ENTER key after the CD ejects. I’ve even swapped out the keyboard just in case it was the issue. It wasn’t.

The ultimate goal is to get Mint loaded onto this G4 using the instructions from earlier in this thread. But I have to get Sid loaded first (I think)

Struggling,
MacMav

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
So, I’m kinda confused. I followed the Mint link and then followed the instructions provided. Got to the Grub boot screen and everything was labeled Debian this, Debian that, and of course, never got to a GUI. So did I load Mint? Without getting to a GUI, I don’t know what I’ve loaded. I’ve found a LinuxMint forum talking about how to deal with Nvidia cards. Haven’t had a chance to test them yet. Is Mint an offshoot or version of Debian or is it a standalone operating system? Seems like I still have a lot to learn about Linux.

Depending on how I modify the boot commands, I either get a blinking cursor, a black screen, or boot to a command line login. I’ve tried a few commands in the CLI situation but nothing has gotten me to a GUI.

More work to do. Any suggestions on how to get to the GUI would be welcome.

MacMav855

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
It's based on Debian, as is Fienix. Basically you install a barebones debian, then add or switch repositories and they install preconfigured desktops, themes, apps, etc.

As for your graphics card, I'd give up. Not many nvidia cards work with ppc Linux. You're better off finding an ati Radeon 9xxx card to replace it with.

Cheers

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Awh, don’t say that. I actually had a fully operating MacBuntu and 16.04 Remix working on this G4 but, the 16.04 was too much for it, and since I already had MacBuntu and 16.04 running well on my desktop G5 and G4, respectively I wanted a different distro on this machine. Edgy worked but I wanted more. Yes I’m greedy.

So, if I can get a nice distro running on the G4/Nvidia combo, I will be sure to post how I did it. I’m waiting for a response from LinuxMint Forum to tap that resource as I pursue loading yet another Mac with a Linux OS.

Frustrating but fun learning something new!!!
MM855

Reactions: wicknix

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Any machine sub 1.5ghz isn't going to run newer distros very well. Like any OS they get more bloated and heavy as updates get applied. Unless of course you are ok with command line only, or a very very light window manger like openbox. I'd stick with ubuntu12 (macbuntu/remix) or debian 8 on that machine. Otherwise give openbsd or netbsd a shot.

Cheers

Reactions: Amethyst1

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Gonna try the Deb 8 Jessie route. Got a good link for a Mac PPC32 Debian 8 distro? You haven't let me down yet. The one I downloaded must have been for a 32 bit non mac pc.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Sorry to say it but I gave up on Nvidia and replaced the GPU with an AMD ATY128 Pro card and hooked up an Apple 19” CRT to it. Decided to go back and install MacBuntu on the 867MHz G4. Loaded the CD, booted using the following parameters:

Live-PowerPC video=atyfb:1152x870 modedb

Got to the splash screen and then it went to a scrolling log and stopped at

Lubuntu@lubuntu$

Couldn’t get to a GUI, one message stated lightdm failed error 1

Haven’t done a lot with this but I’ll be going down the ATY128 pro and Linux rabbit hole soon.

Words of wisdom?

MacMav855

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hate to say it, but the rage128's aren't well supported either. Check the Ubuntu powerpc wiki known issues page for some info on rage128 cards. If you're lucky you'll get slow 2d framebuffer mode only.

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
The Rage Card was not playing well with the G4. Startup issues. So I've put the Nvidia card back and am trying to (re) install Macbuntu. I haven't quite figured out why that, toward the end of the install, I get an error about some documents may not have downloaded, but the install continues, and then when it's finished, and I remove the install media, it doesn't recognize the ENTER key, so the install fails to complete. Weird thing is I have had Macbuntu (even 16.04 remix) on this machine and now I can't get it back onto the machine.

I've reset the PRAM, checked for loose connections/cards, all seem ok, and it runs fine in OS Tiger.

Currently trying to install Macbuntu, using my nvidiafb/nouveau work around boot parameter, we'll see how it goes.

MacMav855

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Back to Debian Remix. I read through the thread from the beginning and found some things I hadn't done previously. It's loading right now. Had some issues with public key not being available but ignored it. (mistake? we'll see). The Nvidia Card is back in the G4 so I'm hoping I can find some work around, boot parameter, something to get me to a desktop. As always, I will keep you updated.

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
Just to report that I'm quite happy to have this running on a Wallstreet 250Ghz ,
double boot mandatory with BootX . Had difficulty copying the installed kernel files to the MacOS partition as it wouldn't show on the linux side, had to copy the Kernel files to my home directory, then remove HD and plug it to another Debian machine to retrieve the files and move it were it should on the MacOS 8.6 System Folder.

Capture d’écran du 2021-04-06 23-00-49.png
This is just after LXDE install. Not tested all yet. Will play with it and customize it with Windowmaker maybe...
Wonder if that could run of a Kanga, or even a 3400c :p

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
I’m able to boot using “Linux nomodeset” and get to a terminal. I can log in as root or username. I reviewed as much of /var/log/Xorg.0.log as I could, it was full of errors and warnings. What I could see mentioned not being able to load fbdev or use fbdev, something like that. I need to research some more about actions I can take to get to a usable desktop.
MM855

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Just to report that I'm quite happy to have this running on a Wallstreet 250Ghz ,
double boot mandatory with BootX . Had difficulty copying the installed kernel files to the MacOS partition as it wouldn't show on the linux side, had to copy the Kernel files to my home directory, then remove HD and plug it to another Debian machine to retrieve the files and move it were it should on the MacOS 8.6 System Folder.

View attachment 1754582
This is just after LXDE install. Not tested all yet. Will play with it and customize it with Windowmaker maybe...
Wonder if that could run of a Kanga, or even a 3400c :p
I would just love to know what the performance of that system is like. For example, how does it take to a more modern web browser? Or is it more of a slide show?

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
I would just love to know what the performance of that system is like. For example, how does it take to a more modern web browser? Or is it more of a slide show?
Didn't tried yet any browser. But yes , afraid it is gonna be a pain, specially with firefox. Dunno if Midori is still in the repo.
Lxde is quite snappy tho.
What surprised me is the video worked out of the box, i have another one (PDQ) running wheezy and it needed a custom xorg.conf file to work.
So far also find that the display, if not faster, works better than on a Pismo , which stops displaying some part of the screen when it's too much for it.
Nothing serious, just move a window over the area to refresh.
See nothing like that on this one.
Anyway, i'll try a browser later and report. But never intended to use it for sailing on the www high seas anyway.

Reactions: repairedCheese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.