Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
What the heck, some of these example photos are absurdly good. Why didn't Apple dedicate more time to this and go into more detail (pardon the pun) on stage?
[automerge]1570050882[/automerge]

You can't convince me there isn't a noticeable difference between these two images. Both shot on the 11 Pro, one with the update and one without:

emIzMXm.jpg

It’s easily visible. Hair and beard with far more definition. The background in the Deep Fusion image has a better, less flat exposure too.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
So far guys, I’ve got to be honest, as much as I enjoy my iPhone camera this doesn’t seem that impressive from the pictures above. Saying that I’d rather have it than not, but it’s not as incredible as some hyperbole would have you believe.

Are you serious. The shots of the guys face with the 11 Pro HDR and the 11 Pro Deep Fusion. Look at the guys face. Some serious detail in the fusion shot compared to the HDR shot.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I don’t mind the no toggle thing but at least show somewhere whether it’s smart hdr or deep fusion going on in camera app.

Basically you take a pic and good luck knowing if deep fusion was applied. Or maybe I’m missing something

Reactions: redbeard331

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
You know you’ve taken a Deep Fusion image when there’s a shutter delay. Was that the case for you?

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
I’ve been testing this feature out all day. In its current state its hit or miss. In bright environments or environments that have bright spots, it completely blows out the highlights making silvers/whites look horrible. There’s some work to be done here but super promising. Glad they didn’t try to ship this for launch day, I hope they take the time to refine this.
Hasn’t it been confirmed that Deep Fusion only works in medium to low light environments? In bright environments it switches back to Smart HDR.

Reactions: profets

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
So there’s no toggle anywhere? How are people turning it off and on to test it out???

Apparently Deep Fusion can’t work unless “photos capture outside the frame” is disabled, I guess the iPhone has limitations if that’s the case. The toggle is off by default, but I turned mine on, guess I’ll turn it off now.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
View attachment 865971

Or maybe this one is Deep Fusion? It’s really sharp when you zoom in. But it’s been awhile since I took a photo with the telephoto lens, especially with the newer iPhones, so I don’t know if it’s just a regular photo or Deep Fusion.

This was a Deep Fusion shot. You can tell because the fabric right in the center of the HomePod looks like it went through a sharpening filter. Take a look at the left border of the HomePod too, super contrasty edge almost looks like it's glowing.
[automerge]1570068749[/automerge]
Hasn’t it been confirmed that Deep Fusion only works in medium to low light environments? In bright environments it switches back to Smart HDR.

It does, but I'm talking about 'dark' environments that have lots of highlights. In particular I'm talking about a dark room with some sun rays shining brightly on the floor. Ordinarily Smart HDR would focus on brightening up the room whilst leaving the super bright spots over exposed. I've noticed that Deep Fusion images taken in the environment I just described will blow out the highlights and try to 'sharpen' the edges of that over exposed spot of light. The end effect looks really weird.

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
So for deep fusion to work as long as you don’t use the ultra wide and as long as “capture outside the frame” is turned off in settings ?

mavere

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007

Video showing some good on/off comparisons. It looks like folks will see improvement in a variety of lighting conditions, but it won't be anything as dramatic as night mode or even smart HDR was.

At its core, deep fusion amounts to an (effective) increase in photo resolution – wonderful to have but not life altering.

Reactions: canesalato

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Must watch video samples on deep fusion with note 10 comparison as well.

update: just saw someone already posted this above.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I know there are some other threads involving Deep Fusion, however, a lot of those are about how it works etc. I figure in this thread, we can just show off the pictures.

Here is a picture of one of my sweaters with Deep Fusion, however, silly me forgot to take a before and after shot. The next pictures I take, I will be sure to get a before and after.

Deep Fusion-Polo Sweater.jpg

:apple:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Apple just shouldn’t have delayed the feature and shouldn’t have named it. Just let people believe the sensors/lenses were that big of an update. Then shown plenty of side by sides of the XS and 11 Pro to show how sharp the new “cameras” are even though it is mostly just processing.

As a photographer, looking at these side by sides, this is the single most important change to iPhone photography in years. Even decent phone photos usually fall apart when zoomed in and have been looking particularly over-noise-reduced for a few generations now. We are finally getting sharp details that will make for decent prints.

We are also finally seeing a promising update path for the future as sensor/lens physics can only improve so much within these tiny phones.

When it activates it resolves that issue of blurry undefined details that you always see in smartphone pics when you zoom in. Even the best iPhone pictures can look a little crappy up close, and that's where a real 'pro' picture from a DSLR blows it away. However Apple decided to market it (probably due to having to justify the 'pro' moniker) and gave it the stupid name 'Deep Fusion'.

When looking at the comparison photos it looks like the skin softening feature has been turned off and the sharpness slider has been cranked up. Obviously that's a massive oversimplification, but from the examples so far, that's how it appears.

I agree, Apple should have just built it in and let people experience the cameras abilities rather than calling it out. As clever as it is its nothing more than another variant of picture processing. I suppose it's all part of this years marketing push around the cameras as everything else was the usual incremental updates.

Overall though I am very happy with the camera in the iPhone 11 Pro, can't wait to go on holiday somewhere beautiful and let it do its thing.

Last edited:

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Apple just shouldn’t have delayed the feature and shouldn’t have named it. Just let people believe the sensors/lenses were that big of an update. Then shown plenty of side by sides of the XS and 11 Pro to show how sharp the new “cameras” are even though it is mostly just processing.

As a photographer, looking at these side by sides, this is the single most important change to iPhone photography in years.

While I agree they shouldn’t have delayed this and agree how massively this improves overall image quality from a smart phone, as a photographer, you should be ashamed to say that Apple should have let people believe this improvement had all to do with updated sensors.

Small sensors have limitations, that’s why we pay the big bucks for full frame and medium format sensors. Please don’t dumb down physics and the latest in computational advancements in mobile photography (something the big camera companies need to start taking seriously).

But yea, deep fusion really takes it to a whole new level. Why in the world couldn’t they have got this ready at launch!?

Reactions: SR71

GerritB

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2018
Just tested it and it's the first time I've been impressed with the Iphone 11 Pro camera's. Would be great if they can expand the availability to all lighting situations and camera's because I really want this level of detail in all my photo's.

Reactions: thomamon

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
So what's really funny that I noticed is that I took a picture of a document in low light and it went all fully sharp on me due to deep fusion. I will try it with some writing that is not confidential.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I get that everyone’s eyes are different but I almost wonder if some people just really want to see a difference and so to them, it’s evident? Or my eyes just suck (won’t argue that). But in the examples I’m seeing posted in here, on Twitter, etc. I’m not seeing a difference. Maybe the cameras on their own are just that good. But I’ve yet to see an example where it’s obvious that deep fusion made a definitive improvement, let alone drastic.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I get that everyone’s eyes are different but I almost wonder if some people just really want to see a difference and so to them, it’s evident? Or my eyes just suck (won’t argue that). But in the examples I’m seeing posted in here, on Twitter, etc. I’m not seeing a difference. Maybe the cameras on their own are just that good. But I’ve yet to see an example where it’s obvious that deep fusion made a definitive improvement, let alone drastic.

It's probably more about you probably don't really see much benefit in sharpness and clarity because I think those are the biggest advantages that deep fusion provide, especially when there's a lack of light where the sensor is being pushed to higher ISOs which equal a muddier image.

Example scenes: Sunrise and sunset where night sight isn't quite the way to go. Indoor portraits in just ok light.

And this will translate really well when printing say 8x10 and higher. The print will come out much more clear and sharp.

Reactions: Surf Monkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.