Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Look on this comparison with Canon DSLR. I guess there was too narrow depth of field on Canon but results are impressive:

Reactions: oVerboost

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Look on this comparison with Canon DSLR. I guess there was too narrow depth of field on Canon but results are impressive:

The deep fusion shots seem to have more detail than the Canon. The low light shots look better with the Canon in my opinion. But the iPhone low light shots do look good.

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

Just a heads up that this comparison with a Canon DSLR is using a Canon 1Dmk2, which is a 15-year old cropped 8mp sensor.

That DSLR predates the first ever iPhone by 3 years.

Deep Fusion still looks great regardless. To be honest, I’d say it FINALLY does the thing that phone cameras were supposed to do years ago...render compact point and shoot cameras absolutely useless in the marketplace when you weigh quality vs convenience.

Modern full-frame DSLRs have nothing to worry about, except that I’m going to be lugging my 5D4 far fewer places. I’ll still be using that for work though! But I also must admit that I’ve switched to doing internet video work on my 11pro. 5D video has always and continues to be overly soft / overly noise reduced. The small sensor of the iPhone lends itself nicely to very sharp Instagram videos once downscaled from 4K to 1080.

GoPro are the real losers with this new generation of phones. Who needs them anymore? The OIS is incredible now. If only the ultra-wide had OIS!

Reactions: Olivia23

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Deep Fusion still looks great regardless. To be honest, I’d say it FINALLY does the thing that phone cameras were supposed to do years ago...render compact point and shoot cameras absolutely useless in the marketplace when you weigh quality vs convenience.

Generally agree, but I personally find they don't have enough reach. For candid shots of younger family members a longer lens is great - even if that is a simple zoom on a P&S. Thats probably the primary reason I'll keep a mirrorless camera

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
I'm curious as to why you would use a phone for that purpose rather than use a good quality camera. I understand if all you have is the phone and are doing this for personal use of the posters, but for any professional reason you should be using a DSLR. I think too many have unrealistic expectations for a phone camera.
Because I’m using my phone for a camera since that’s what I have on me. I’m not going out and purchasing a camera to carry around all the time and neither are most people. We are not all professional photographers.

WillRRRR

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2017
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I used my iPhone 12 Pro Max to took a Deep Fusion photo of my dad's iPhone 11 Pro Max. Also, my photos almost always not use Deep Fusion feature until my iPhone 12 Pro Max on Christmas Day 2020 because I already skipped iPhone 11 series and had kept my iPhone XS Max.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.