Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisblond007

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
Wow. iPhone 11 was already beating everyone at the camera game but Deep Fusion just leaped Apple one generation ahead of the competition by a year at least!

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Deep Fusion only works in certain lighting conditions and is activated automatically. Is there any indication that it’s active so you know which shots are taken using Deep Fusion and which are not?

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
I see a significant improvement in some of those shots, the ones with the bearded guy with glasses you can see a lot more detail in his beard, hair, glasses and even background. It isn't as dramatic as night mode though so I see why they didn't focus on it but this is pretty amazing improvement and it's just focus stacking images so it isn't any different than what a photographer would do in photoshop this is just happening at such a detailed level it's really remarkable. One of the biggest weaknesses of phone pictures is you cant really keep the quality if you increase the size but this may change that fairly significantly. Some of my favorite shots are with my phone and I do like to make prints so this could be really beneficial to me.

baldachin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2017
Well, by 11 days until the Pixel 4 is announced at least.

You wish.
[automerge]1570188047[/automerge]
It isn't as dramatic as night mode though so I see why they didn't focus on it

It is more dramatic than night mode. Much more. They didn't focus on it because it was not ready and would have had to show how "badly" the phone performs without it, making a bad impression.

Now they certainly will focus much more on it as soon as it will be released.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Does this feature bring us closer to being able to blow up & print photos to A3 size posters without losing any detail?

Reactions: Tibits

althaur

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
MD, USA
Does this feature bring us closer to being able to blow up & print photos to A3 size posters without losing any detail?

I'm curious as to why you would use a phone for that purpose rather than use a good quality camera. I understand if all you have is the phone and are doing this for personal use of the posters, but for any professional reason you should be using a DSLR. I think too many have unrealistic expectations for a phone camera.

Reactions: dexterie

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'm curious as to why you would use a phone for that purpose rather than use a good quality camera. I understand if all you have is the phone and are doing this for personal use of the posters, but for any professional reason you should be using a DSLR. I think too many have unrealistic expectations for a phone camera.
For sure.

But i'm just monitoring progression in the smartphone department for now, hoping it gets nearer to that ultimate goal of blurring lines between itself & DSLR.

Reactions: althaur

althaur

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
MD, USA
For sure.

But i'm just monitoring progression in the smartphone department for now, hoping it gets nearer to that ultimate goal of blurring lines between itself & DSLR.

Gotcha. I think we have a bit more of a wait for that day, but it will be great when it happens.

Reactions: Ralfi

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Could you deliberately jiggle the optical image stabilisation and take multiple photos slightly offset from each other to get a virtual increase in megapixels?

Remington Steel

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2016
They said the same thing about the initial implementation for electricity, cars, planes,computers, etc... Innovation and technology has to start somewhere.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Deep Fusion only works in certain lighting conditions and is activated automatically. Is there any indication that it’s active so you know which shots are taken using Deep Fusion and which are not?
Yes. You can see the image get processed.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I’m sure pixel 4 camera will be great but it’s going to need to be amazing to top the iPhone camera

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Apple just shouldn’t have delayed the feature and shouldn’t have named it. Just let people believe the sensors/lenses were that big of an update. Then shown plenty of side by sides of the XS and 11 Pro to show how sharp the new “cameras” are even though it is mostly just processing.

As a photographer, looking at these side by sides, this is the single most important change to iPhone photography in years. Even decent phone photos usually fall apart when zoomed in and have been looking particularly over-noise-reduced for a few generations now. We are finally getting sharp details that will make for decent prints.

We are also finally seeing a promising update path for the future as sensor/lens physics can only improve so much within these tiny phones.

Very well said.

The whole point of Deep Fusion is to sharpen details that are otherwise lost with phone cameras in moderate light where everything gets mushy and noisy in areas of fine detail. This lets you get much higher quality in the details for prints or other finer uses.

No, its not nearly as dramatic as night mode. It should have just been the "new camera"... which it basically is. It's on by default.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I really don't see much difference with and without on these shots. It looks like a featue that is useful in only a very limited set of circumstances.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I really don't see much difference with and without on these shots. It looks like a featue that is useful in only a very limited set of circumstances.

They’re noticeable when viewing on an iPhone, but the difference is more noticeable on a bigger display like a MacBook, iMac, and iPad.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
8F154C96-5748-4223-8E63-C510F5DD6301.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.