Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the M2 MBA display cause eye strain for you like the M1 MBA?

• Yes

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • I didn't have an eye strain problem with the M1 MBA

Votes: 60 66.7%

• Total voters

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I tried in the store today and it doesn't look like it will address the issue for me.
For reference, this is the thread discussing the issue with the M1 MBA.

Reactions: donatas_s

MiAd

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2022
The Eye strain on the M2 Air is worse than with the M1 Air. It was worst with the M1 14 Pro. Unfortunately, the M2 Air is going back. It is not usable for me. With the M1 Air, I was able to work with White Point at 5700k and 60%-70% brightness without eye strain. But I tried all the settings with the M2. Although some display profiles are better than others, none is such that I could work with them for several hours.

Update:
After update to Mac Monterey 12.5 and calibrating the profile „LCD display“ to 5700k, I suddenly have no problems with the M2 Air. Curious. Maybe I can keep it after all. I will continue to test.

Last edited:

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
The Eye strain on the M2 Air is worse than with the M1 Air. It was worst with the M1 14 Pro. Unfortunately, the M2 Air is going back. It is not usable for me. With the M1 Air, I was able to work with White Point at 5700k and 60%-70% brightness without eye strain. But I tried all the settings with the M2. Although some display profiles are better than others, none is such that I could work with them for several hours.

Update:
After update to Mac Monterey 12.5 and calibrating the profile „LCD display“ to 5700k, I suddenly have no problems with the M2 Air. Curious. Maybe I can keep it after all. I will continue to test.
I'm glad it's working for you but I'm confused and would love to know a few things. I've been working a lot of my M1 MBA and getting headaches (I think from the eye strain). Why are you saying the M1 Pro MBP 14 didn't help? The screen is supposed to be one of its strengths???

Also, are you saying the M2 MBA is better for your eyes than the M1 14 Pro? If you are, then why?

I'm asking because I'm debating whether to keep mine or upgrade. Thanks.

spraycansoul

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2019
I'm glad it's working for you but I'm confused and would love to know a few things. I've been working a lot of my M1 MBA and getting headaches (I think from the eye strain). Why are you saying the M1 Pro MBP 14 didn't help? The screen is supposed to be one of its strengths???

Also, are you saying the M2 MBA is better for your eyes than the M1 14 Pro? If you are, then why?

I'm asking because I'm debating whether to keep mine or upgrade. Thanks.
One reason could be the screen on the M2 MacBook Air showed no signs of PWM.

Reactions: Saturn007

Lina7700

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2022
I tried in the store today and it doesn't look like it will address the issue for me.
For reference, this is the thread discussing the issue with the M1 MBA.
To everyone who is looking for a solution to eye strain, here is what helped me. System Preferences - Accessibility - Display > check the box Reduce Transparency (check Increase Contrast for even better result). Then in regular display settings turn on True Tone. Adjust the brightness setting to 70-80% and make resolution Scaled (system preferences - display). I hope it will help you too!

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
To everyone who is looking for a solution to eye strain, here is what helped me. System Preferences - Accessibility - Display > check the box Reduce Transparency (check Increase Contrast for even better result). Then in regular display settings turn on True Tone. Adjust the brightness setting to 70-80% and make resolution Scaled (system preferences - display). I hope it will help you too!
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try. I have tried everything you mention other than reducing transparency.

robirobirob

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2022

Update:
How's it been for you with these display settings? Did it solve the eye strain issue? Thanks!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Well I had issues with the M1 MBP 14" and 16" and it was related to a few issues. Flickering and blooming was one. Eye strain was the result and at first I did not understand what was happening.

The screen on the M1 MBP is very nice to look at for a short while for sure. It had a few selling points, one was mini led and another was Promotion. I think because of the poor response time of more than 20ms the Promotion was also giving me a sort of motion sickness? I am sure the next models will improve but I am much happier with the plain old IPS display in the M2 MBA. I am happy it doesn't have PWM or dithering.

So far the M2 MBA screen has been very good and I can use it for a long time with no problems.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Well I had issues with the M1 MBP 14" and 16" and it was related to a few issues. Flickering and blooming was one. Eye strain was the result and at first I did not understand what was happening.

The screen on the M1 MBP is very nice to look at for a short while for sure. It had a few selling points, one was mini led and another was Promotion. I think because of the poor response time of more than 20ms the Promotion was also giving me a sort of motion sickness? I am sure the next models will improve but I am much happier with the plain old IPS display in the M2 MBA. I am happy it doesn't have PWM or dithering.

So far the M2 MBA screen has been very good and I can use it for a long time with no problems.
This sounds like we are in very similar situations (same symptoms). I have an Air on order currently, so it’s encouraging to hear positive feedback.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Well I had issues with the M1 MBP 14" and 16" and it was related to a few issues. Flickering and blooming was one.
Interesting that you find blooming disturbing but not terrible black level and light leaks in MBA M2. I mean in the conditions where I could see any blooming in my MBP 14" is in a dark room but in the same conditions cheap edge lit IPS screens like the ones in the MBA M2 and M1 looks like dog sh*t to me in comparison.

I am sure the next models will improve but I am much happier with the plain old IPS display in the M2 MBA.
I don't think the display in the MBP 14 and 16 next updated model will change. It is already one of the best in the market.

I am happy it doesn't have PWM or dithering.
What is causing this:
https://ledstrain.org/d/1782-videos-of-macbook-air-m2-flickering

Reactions: ilikewhey

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Interesting that you find blooming disturbing but not terrible black level and light leaks in MBA M2. I mean in the conditions where I could see any blooming in my MBP 14" is in a dark room but in the same conditions cheap edge lit IPS screens like the ones in the MBA M2 and M1 looks like dog sh*t to me in comparison.

I don't think the display in the MBP 14 and 16 next updated model will change. It is already one of the best in the market.

What is causing this:
Yes I think we understand your opinion on IPS displays in general.

Thanks for the intelligent take on screens.

Just because you have a MBP with mini led doesn’t mean everything else is dog….

It is not PWM or dithering on the M2 MBA so the flickering on M2 which I have never seen is mystery?

I have seen blooming and flickering on the M1 MBP.

Reactions: maka344

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008

What is causing this:
Indeed, despite the review at notebookcheck that says no pwm or temporal dithering on m2, the m2 is as bad as the m1 for me. I’m at the point where I’ve written off Mac and now looking at windows options.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Just because you have a MBP with mini led doesn’t mean everything else is dog….
It does, _to me_ as I said in my message. But I know some people might be more tolerable.

It is not PWM or dithering on the M2 MBA so the flickering on M2 which I have never seen is mystery?
I don't know what it is but is seems well documented in the link if you check that.
I've noticed my iPad Air 5 has that in very very mild form, nothing like as bad as in the MBA M2 in that video.
It is kinda like shimmering looking effect. Might be something not related to PWM or FRC dithering at all but maybe in the LCD drivers or similar.

I have seen blooming and flickering on the M1 MBP.
I don't doubt that. I just said that in the conditions where one can see blooming, is the same condition where light leaking, grayish blacks with blue or reddish tint is seen in the edge lit IPS. ;)

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
It does, _to me_ as I said in my message. But I know some people might be more tolerable.

I don't know what it is but is seems well documented in the link if you check that.
I've noticed my iPad Air 5 has that in very very mild form, nothing like as bad as in the MBA M2 on that video.
It is kinda link shimmering looking effect. Might be something not related to PWM or FRC dithering at all but maybe in the LCD drivers or similar.

I don't doubt that. I just said that in the conditions where one can see blooming, is the same condition where light leaking, grayish blacks with blue or reddish tint is seen in the edge lit IPS. ;)
I too have a problem with iPad displays, but to a slightly less extent than with the macs. Again, I have no idea what is causing it and it is very frustrating.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
I too have a problem with iPad displays, but to a slightly less extent than with the macs. Again, I have no idea what is causing it and it is very frustrating.
I don't know either what that shimmering effect is but definitely my iPad Air 5 has that, but much much less than MBA M2 in that video, but definitely the same effect is in question here.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Super bummed to update and say that the M2 Air is even worse than the 14” Pro for me. The Pro gave me a pinching feeling between my eyebrows and I found myself trying to turn down the brightness lower and lower, but the Air actually makes me dizzy after about 20 minutes.

There’s something going on with these displays that is different, and likely Apple only knows why at this point. Returning to my 2017 15” Pro is instant relief, and previously I used an M1 13” Pro from work with no issues. It’s a huge disappointment to find the two best computers for my personal use basically unusable.

Before anyone asks, I tried: different display calibrations, all the accessibility options, disabling True Tone and auto brightness, moving to different rooms of the house, and disabled font smoothing. None fixed it.

Someone on LEDstrain.org compared these symptoms to trying to stare into a flashlight for too long. That’s exactly how both of these displays make me feel. They seem harsh to the eyes.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Someone on LEDstrain.org compared these symptoms to trying to stare into a flashlight for too long. That’s exactly how both of these displays make me feel. They seem harsh to the eyes.
For myself, I wouldn't call it flashlight as much as strobe light.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Super bummed to update and say that the M2 Air is even worse than the 14” Pro for me.
Do you see that shimmering with bare eyes? I guess any kind of flickering can cause issue for the people sensitive to such. Relying only measurements showing PWM is just one part in this equation where there can FRC or other type flickering too. I guess also high contrasty image can be an issue, especially in challenging lighting conditions to cause eye strain. I was lucky not suffering from any issues with eye strain with my MBP 14" but I know some people get bad eye strain from these.

Reactions: ilikewhey

Cadrian

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
Interestingly enough I have two M2 Airs with me right now (was returning a midnight for silver) and I think the screen is fantastic and sooo much easier on the eyes for me, especially compared to the 16 and 14 pros and also the M1 air. I am very sensitive to PWM and all of those gave me problems.

BUT, I started using the silver one which got delivered yesterday and I immediately noticed a difference in screen quality and actually that unit started to really hurt my eyes within 20 minutes. It is also more washed out and yellowish than the first unit. The text appears to be fuzzier and harder to read as well.

I was only returning the midnight because I didn't love the fingerprints on it but I think I got lucky with a great panel so I'm going to keep it and send the silver one back.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
BUT, I started using the silver one which got delivered yesterday and I immediately noticed a difference in screen quality and actually that unit started to really hurt my eyes within 20 minutes. It is also more washed out and yellowish than the first unit. The text appears to be fuzzier and harder to read as well.
You're sure Night Shift was not on in that unit?

Reactions: M12020_16gb_500gb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.