Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the M2 MBA display cause eye strain for you like the M1 MBA?

• Yes

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • I didn't have an eye strain problem with the M1 MBA

Votes: 60 66.7%

• Total voters

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Like the OLED iPhones, I've abandoned hope of an iPad I can now use as I clearly have a sensitivity to PWM & dithering (fine on iphone 11). So this leaves me with the Macbook, ideally the MBA M2 for silent operation. It's disappointing to read some are suffering eye strain with these despite them not having PWM. I really don't want to drop 2k on a laptop I might have to return, it certainly wouldn't be a convenient return process.

Is anyone with PWM/OLED sensitivity having luck with the MBA M2 or is this exactly like asking about OLED iPhones - got to try it for myself?
Some seem to have had luck but you got to try it for yourself. Here in the US Apple return process is pretty easy, whether in store or online.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I keep coming back to see if there are solutions. Not in small part because even though I have evaluated Windows laptops, I just can't seem to find something I am comfortable with when it comes to a combination of fan noise, heat, form factor, sales and support. Every now and then I pop into the local Apple store to try the newer machines/OS versions to see if anything has changed. So far, I'm not finding much difference.
I am considering getting a hackintosh machine for this reason.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Update. I got M2 air in May (Monterey 12.6.5, 50% brightness). Surprise, the screen is very comfortable. It’s even more comfortable than my iPad Pro M1 11”. I don’t know whether it’s related to PWM or macOS version as mentioned some users here.

It’s like I am back in times where I can spend hours and hours every day in front of macbook.

donatas_s

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2021
Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Update. I got M2 air in May (Monterey 12.6.5, 50% brightness). Surprise, the screen is very comfortable. It’s even more comfortable than my iPad Pro M1 11”. I don’t know whether it’s related to PWM or macOS version as mentioned some users here.

It’s like I am back in times where I can spend hours and hours every day in front of macbook.
I was tempted, probably will give it a shot, seen one with very good price :)

JohnBerkeley

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2023
I saw those conflicting reviews about macbook air M2, highlighting on one side notebookcheck.com PWM free claims and other side youtube videos showing clear PWM. I have a suspicion that PWM on macbook air m2 is triggered by something, obviously specific brightness setting, or it could be for example battery mode or something like that. I'm really tempted to replace macbook air m1 with macbook air m2, but just need those reassurances at least from some percentage of users. As it comes to actual stores, I personally find it difficult to test it in the store, as there is so much lighting and you need to spend considerable amount of time to feel it. Also, there will be some folks that are really triggered a lot by other factors too such as shiny screens and actual screen technology. This would obviously render any incremental improvements of minor significance. As a side note, I have researched that VA panels might be good for low eye strain as external monitors, but this is a bit off the topic, since I would assume most users appreciate mobility of these machines as key factor.
Someone else posted on this forum, what seems like a good way to test for PWM with Adobe Light Room. You can set iPhone camera to 1/4000 or even 1/10000 shutter speed. Now I don't know, at that speed its probably able to detect only PWM of up to a certain frequency, but you can see PWM very clearly on MacBook Pro with anything below 6 brightness it shows clear diagonal lines indicating PWM, and annoyingly, visible vertical lines even at max brightness. When I went into the apple store and checked the 14" and 16" MacBook Pro's had this PWM, but M2 Air had neither diagonal lines at low brightness nor those vertical lines at max brightness. But I still found it uncomfortable to look at, though I didn't spend enough time to have a definitive opinion.

I wonder what that flickering screen of M2 air in the video would look like with fast shutter speed. Also I'm curious whats the limit of PWM frequency that 1/10000 shutter speed is able to detect.

Here is the post in case you wanted to check it out:

And also, did you get your M2 air?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.