Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Oh, and maybe they will rerelease a HD size 17" LCD monitor at the same time for Mac Mini users and those wanting an HD screen (second screen) for their PBs and PMs...

utahfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2005
JoshK1124 said:
I've been waiting for a PowerBook update for quite a while now.

I've got the cash to go out there and buy a powerbook RIGHT NOW.

But what kills me is the POSSIBILITY that there might be an update.

I don't care if it is a G5 or a dual G4 or if it's just a speed bump.

Just anything, ANYTHING.

(Tiger release is not a problem, because I can pay $45 and get updates on the operating system up through 2006... w00t)

Yeah, so what do you guys think? Just wait out for a couple more weeks using public computers on campus, or just wait and be fed by rumors for the next couple of weeks... or months... :(

And my $.02, even if G5's were released, I think there would be a few problems in the first generation of those PBs. I honestly don't think that they would have G5's available even by Q2, but if they did, that would be nice... I can't wait that long, regardless...

My office is going to foot the bill for a new laptop so I waited oh so patiently for MWSF thinking that of course the PBs would get a bump of some sort. (G5? not likely; but a speed bump or 8x burner wouldn't have hurt too much, would it?) I guess I'll still wait, but my 550 G4 feels more than just a wee bit creaky when I try to do anything more than the most rudimentary video editing. (I have to transfer them to my desktop to burn them; a 550 G4 can't run iDVD). I can't help but think of when I replaced my Performa with my first iMac, a great-looking Strawberry that made me feel cutting edge for all of about a week and a half when the faster, cheaper model was released.

All this talk about Tuesday (or next Tuesday, or the Tuesday after that) at least keeps me entertained and keeps my hopes alive when I await even the smallest of bumps to allow me to make that much-needed purchase.

TheSith

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2004
JoshK1124 said:
I've been waiting for a PowerBook update for quite a while now.

I've got the cash to go out there and buy a powerbook RIGHT NOW.

But what kills me is the POSSIBILITY that there might be an update.

I don't care if it is a G5 or a dual G4 or if it's just a speed bump.

Just anything, ANYTHING.

My thoughts exactly.

Made a decision though - not buying anything until an update of some sort. Am not needing one at ALL, merely a want at this point. Still, would like to see some kind of upgrade.. Seems like June is too far off but maybe not.............

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
There's a rumour about that Apple will indeed be releasing the G5 PowerBook and G5 iBook in the second quarter of 2005. Apparently this will coincide with the late 1st quarter release of Tiger. Apple not only want to pip M$ to the post with their new operating system, but also lay claim to speedier and more efficient laptops.

The rumour goes on to say that iMacs will be boosted to Dual Core G5 and the current G5 Tower's will see G6.

For those who cannot afford the upgrade Apple have developed the Mac Mini Shuffle.

:rolleyes:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I heard the iPod was moving to Dual Core G5 and the current towers will be G6-and-a-halfs.

Bern said:
There's a rumour about that Apple will indeed be releasing the G5 PowerBook and G5 iBook in the second quarter of 2005. Apparently this will coincide with the late 1st quarter release of Tiger. Apple not only want to pip M$ to the post with their new operating system, but also lay claim to speedier and more efficient laptops.

The rumour goes on to say that iMacs will be boosted to Dual Core G5 and the current G5 Tower's will see G6.

For those who cannot afford the upgrade Apple have developed the Mac Mini Shuffle.

Pringolian

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2004
Surrey, UK
Bern said:

Sorry if I am a bit slow on the uptake here but are you joking? (You lost my faith in your post when I read dual core iMac).

I ask because I have heard that a PowerMac update later this year will indeed be branded as the 'G6'. Because there were problems with the chips they expect the G5 Range to top out at Dual 2.8/3Ghz (nearly a year later than expected) and they are going to start Dual Core chips under the G6 brand. Anyone know/heard anything about this? :eek:

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Sounds completely made up to me.

Pringolian said:
Sorry if I am a bit slow on the uptake here but are you joking? (You lost my faith in your post when I read dual core iMac).

I ask because I have heard that a PowerMac update later this year will indeed be branded as the 'G6'. Because there were problems with the chips they expect the G5 Range to top out at Dual 2.8/3Ghz (nearly a year later than expected) and they are going to start Dual Core chips under the G6 brand. Anyone know/heard anything about this? :eek:

Pringolian

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2004
Surrey, UK
zen said:
Sounds completely made up to me.
:mad:

I'll try and find the original article, I'm not joking.
It stated something along the lines of new higher speed dual processor systems that move to Quad processing units and being branded as a G6 towards the end of 2005. But I can't see it happening so soon after the G5 release. It's IBM's Dual Core, Dual processor system to follow the G5 PowerMac.

Like I said, I'll have a dig around and get back to you. ;)

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Cool, it would be interesting to get more info. I'm not saying you made it up, I'm just saying that the source might have. Quad processors rings alarm bells - they have long been the favourite of macosrumors.com, and we all know how reliable they are. If G5 supplies are constrained I don't see them plonking 4 of them in a single machine. And how much would that cost too?

As far as I know (probably wrong), they've only just got dual-core G4's up and running at Moto-whatevertheyarecallednow. Dual core G5s are a long way off, aren't they?

Pringolian said:
:mad:

I'll try and find the original article, I'm not joking.
It stated something along the lines of new higher speed dual processor systems that move to Quad processing units and being branded as a G6 towards the end of 2005. But I can't see it happening so soon after the G5 release. It's IBM's Dual Core, Dual processor system to follow the G5 PowerMac.

Like I said, I'll have a dig around and get back to you. ;)

Pringolian

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2004
Surrey, UK
Hey Zen, I found some more info but I think I have got my wires crossed between the IBM Dual Core Developments and this::eek:

PowerPC 980 based Power Macs not too distant
Apple and IBM have a contract for at least 4 generations of the PowerPC processor over the next 5 years, sources tell AppleInsider. The first of these microprocessors is the current PowerPC 970, which will be followed by the PowerPC 980 in Quarter 3 of next year.

The PowerPC 970 is said to max out at approximately 2.6GHz, shortly after the release of the second generation Power Mac G5s, reported on yesterday. The Power Mac product line will reportedly continue with the 'Power Mac 8,2' in late 2004. These units will sport the 90nm PowerPC 980, which Apple may brand the 'G6' according to a single source.

Ranging between 2.8 and 3.2GHz out the start gate, the PowerPC 980 will deliver the 3GHz speeds promised by Steve Jobs and ultimately top-out at over 5GHz on a 65nm process. In addition, the PowerPC 980 is said to implement hypertransport directly.

The 980 PowerPC enabled 'Power Mac 8,2' is projected to provide speed gains of over 40 percent when compared to a current Power Mac G5 of equivalent clock speed, and will use a crossbar switch to speed communication between processors. Performance gains will be even greater for applications written to take advantage of hyperthreading, sources said. The units will utilize the 'U4' system controller, which will allow front side buses to reach speeds of up to 2Ghz in its first iteration.

The PowerPC 980 will reportedly go through 3 revisions during its 18 month life-cycle, as opposed to the PowerPC 970 which will see only 2 revisions during a 12 month life-cycle in pro desktops.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
mmmn

all this anticipation just makes me want to sing...

The world looks mighty good to me
'cause powerbook g5's are all I see
Whatever it is
I think I see
becomes a powerbook g5 to me.
Powerbook g5 how I love
Your 64bit chew
powerbook g5 I think
I'm in love with you
Whatever it is I think I see...
Becomes a powerbook g5 to me!

--ph0rk

seans9

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2005
i want a mac so bad. im so tempted just to buy one of the current powerbooks, but i know its worth waiting...i just dont know how long i can wait.

MikeBike

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2004
Who would buy these things!

Timboid said:
Well, i don't know if anybody has spotted this, but it's nice to see that after all the problems that IBM?Apple have had with hot CPU's, that Intel seem to have run into problems that are just as bad, if not worse than IBMs!

See http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050117_225242.html

Is this going to be an issue for the future IBM dual cores as and when they surface, I wonder? Anybody know any more?

A DualCore P4! -- The brains have left the Intel building.
- The only thing Intel should be DualCoring is the PIII err. PentiumM.
- Looks like the P4 group just won't die. I'm waiting for this group's P5: runs at 10000GHZ, but does nothing.

TheSith

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2004
seans9 said:
i want a mac so bad. im so tempted just to buy one of the current powerbooks, but i know its worth waiting...i just dont know how long i can wait.

Hang in there.. I'm in the same boat. ;)

iRobot

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2005
Portland, OR
IDANNY said:
This must be a huge boat. I want to buy a powerbook to but cant justify it just yet with the current specs. :eek:

You're telling me. The Ark was nothing.

Ah, I've been using my girlfriend's computer so long, my AIM buddies have setup an alias so that my screen name and her screen name are just listed as "Mine/Hers"

I really, really need that new powerbook.

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
iRobot said:
I really, really need that new powerbook.

I wonder how many MR members are actually in dire need of a PB and ready to click the order button (I am for sure one), would be fun to count... or at least would keep us occupied whilst awaiting the Apple Store page to refresh :rolleyes:

dodonutter

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
Deep South UK
For all you guys in that cruse liner out there my advice is definitely to wait for the next revision. I ordered my 15" the day after the 1.5GHz model was released...had the top dog of Powerbooks for about 10 months now!!

Unless you really can't wait for some reason (ie work related, rather than just wanting it too bad!) keep control of that credit card and wait for the WWDC. You can do, i believe in you ;)

--Dodo

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
dodonutter said:
For all you guys in that cruse liner out there my advice is definitely to wait for the next revision. I ordered my 15" the day after the 1.5GHz model was released...had the top dog of Powerbooks for about 10 months now!!

Unless you really can't wait for some reason (ie work related, rather than just wanting it too bad!) keep control of that credit card and wait for the WWDC. You can do, i believe in you ;)

--Dodo

I agree. The other option is to pick up a refurb a few weeks (months?) later - just wait till the first batch has been shipped to allow them to iron out any minor faults.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Pringolian said:
The PowerPC 980 will reportedly go through 3 revisions during its 18 month life-cycle, as opposed to the PowerPC 970 which will see only 2 revisions during a 12 month life-cycle in pro desktops.

Seems like they're bit behind schedule :( The rest of it sounds great tho' - albeit no mention of dual core CPUs.

EDIT: two in a row oh no!

sahomuzi

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
Vienna, AUT
Wednesday January 19, 2005
- PowerBook "End of life" at the FNAC - Lionel - 09:03:48

We have just been informed that PowerBooks as well as eMac Superdrive have been declared "End of Life" at the FNAC (largest multimedia consumer shop in France).
This means that once machines in stock have been sold; there will not be any new shipment for the same ordering number.
PS: this is not a rumor, simply a fact. We let you draw your own conclusions.

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2005-01-19#3526

A little update is coming. :)
But no G5! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.