Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
Oh man, I got all excited when I saw this thread...I didn't really get involved here at MR until feb. or so...oh well.

juble

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
Apple Website

I was just having look on the apple website and saw they havn't updated their Powerbook line with Tiger pre-installed, would anyone know why this is? Is this pointing to apple maybe refreshing their line again, either a G4 update or waiting for G5? It does mention the tiger up-to-date thing, but I would've thought if they wern't planning on updating them soon, maybe they would've included it from it's release? Hope this makes sense. :confused:

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
juble said:
I was just having look on the apple website and saw they havn't updated their Powerbook line with Tiger pre-installed, would anyone know why this is? Is this pointing to apple maybe refreshing their line again, either a G4 update or waiting for G5? It does mention the tiger up-to-date thing, but I would've thought if they wern't planning on updating them soon, maybe they would've included it from it's release? Hope this makes sense. :confused:
Huh? Yes you are confused.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 369

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I could actually see this happening - face it guys, the G4 is being turned into the cheapo Celeron-type processor of the PowerPCs. It's losing/lost its place in even the mid-range Macs, leaving only low-end Mac for the G4 (Mac mini, eMac). The G5 is now here to reign, and is going to take as much territory as possible -

The G4 is a dead duck. There's no saving it - just let it go already!

Lurch_Mojoff

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Closer that you might expect!
Daveway said:
Huh? Yes you are confused.

I think juble is refering to the Powerbook's product page (under Hardware, not the Store). There (especially in the software part) it still says Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther". (Note: I know that Powerbooks come with Tiger pre-installed as pointed in the Store.)

All updated Macs (Powermacs, iMacs, eMacs) have their product pages boasting Tiger, but Powerbook,iBook and Mac mini's are still saying Panther. This is more than ten days after the debut of Tiger (and about a month since it was officially announced). How hard would it be to change the few Mac OS references on those pages?

This makes me suspect a soon to come updates in the later product lines, because of which Apple are holding off the update of the product pages.

macrealist7

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2005
Reality

Okay,

Firstly, I read just a few of the responses; couldn't continue! What are you guys thinking? They already have enough problems cooling G5 processors in the Power Mac's, what makes you think they could even possibly incorporate one into the Powerbook, or the iBook for that matter. In my opinion, its a long ways coming and if it does come, we will first see another release of the Powerbook G4. I've been wrong in the past, but it just doesn't make sense, especially from when the 12" PB4 came out two years ago, they were burning people's laps from the heat of the disk drive. Too much heat + too little space= difficult challenge for release in a few months! Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a PB5, but to me, I just can't see this happening.

:rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
obiously they would not use the same chips currently in the powermac :rolleyes: the g5 powerbook will come when the 970GX is made in quantity no sooner.

visualanté

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2003
64bit

dont win laptops have 64bit processors already......or is it not true 64bit? the only thing i want on new pb is topgrade lcd.....is dual core g4 64bit processing

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
visualanté said:
dont win laptops have 64bit processors already......or is it not true 64bit? the only thing i want on new pb is topgrade lcd.....is dual core g4 64bit processing

win laptops do have 64 bit processors, but they aren't fully operational as 64bit because windows is only 32 bit. And dual core does not mean 64 bit, because each core works on its own with its own process.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Gangst you are incorrect. There is now Windows XP Professional x64, which is a native 64-bit OS. I'm not sure if it is available in stores yet, but it is available through many large hardware providers. Microsoft is also offering a trade-in program for those who have a x64 computer and are running the 32-bit version of Windows.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
javiercr said:
http://www.macshrine.com/ reports alot of things.. color ibook, powerbook g5 delays and many for things, not sure how reliable it is :confused:

No more 12" Powerbooks, black iBooks, Mac OS 10.6... all this reminds me very much of the movie "conspiracy theory". ONE of those rumors might turn out to be true, but which one ;-)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
rockandrule said:
Gangst you are incorrect. There is now Windows XP Professional x64, which is a native 64-bit OS. I'm not sure if it is available in stores yet, but it is available through many large hardware providers. Microsoft is also offering a trade-in program for those who have a x64 computer and are running the 32-bit version of Windows.
64-bit spyware / malware / adware / viruses will both ROCK and RULE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.