Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sadontsev

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2024
Yes you can see the audio wiring in the picture.
12v @ 6A (72 watts) should power the board properly.
EDIT: As long as you are not using USB-C PD power to a laptop.

Paul, what would be the best strategy for introducing USB-C PD from your experience?
Using some powerful external 24V power supply or embedding LED power supply?

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote: “what would be the best strategy for introducing USB-C PD from your experience?”

I don’t know.
Lots of builders of these DIY monitors have avoided USB-C PD powering from the monitor.
A Mac is a high cost device, and too important to use connected to an unwarranted charging device.

However lots of people have done so successfully with only a single hearsay report of damage to a Mac AFAIK.

I’ve used a high quality Thunderbolt 3 dock between the display and a laptop with the dock providing the PD power.

The video boards need about 72 watts of maximum power - about 24V at 3A.

PD power takes additionally about 5A more, so you need at least a 24V 200W PSU.

That‘s probably generates too much heat to put inside the iMac housing unless you install a fan and ducting to exhaust the hot air out of the case.
Several builders have done this very well, 🙂 but it’s quite a lot of work 🙁.
@webhdx #466
Me #489
@Aiwi #822

One advantage of putting the PSU internally is that it is connected by Apple’s Electromagnetic shielding circuit in the mains socket of the iMac.

Some of the cheaper PSUs available are quite electromagnetically noisy and so filtering their power input can stop the connected Mac having Bluetooth problems.

Last edited:

sadontsev

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2024
Quote: “what would be the best strategy for introducing USB-C PD from your experience?”

I don’t know.
Lots of builders of these DIY monitors have avoided USB-C PD powering from the monitor.
A Mac is a high cost device, and too important to use connected to an unwarranted charging device.

However lots of people have done so successfully with only a single hearsay report of damage to a Mac AFAIK.

I’ve used a high quality Thunderbolt 3 dock between the display and a laptop with the dock providing the PD power.

That‘s probably generates too much heat to put inside the iMac housing unless you install a fan and ducting to exhaust the hot air out of the case.
@webhdx #466
Me #489
@Aiwi #822

One advantage of putting the PSU internally is that it is connected by Apple’s Electromagnetic shielding circuit in the mains socket of the iMac.

Some of the cheaper PSUs available are quite electromagnetically noisy and so filtering their power input can stop the connected Mac having Bluetooth problems.
Thanks a lot Paul.

Just to confirm first: can I surely use the 24V PSU?
I’m unable to find any technical specs re accepted voltage. And my seller only mentioned the 12V ones.

I still tend to increase my current 12V6A, as just panel draws about 66W at full brightness per my measurements, without any additional IO.
Very close to the limit.
But I’m unable to find any appealing external PSU capable of higher amperage at this voltage.

Taking pros and cons into account, I tend to use an external one. Not sure I can achieve a qualitative internal packaging, seeing the work that you attached.

Reactions: PaulD-UK

sadontsev

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2024
This seller specifies a 24v PSU:

Right, thank you.
I wasn’t so sure about this one, as it only mentions 24V in the USB-C PD section (or I’m missing the general specs).
And I’ve got no response over their live chat.

Appreciate your confirmation. I’ll purchase 24V one to give it a try.

Hopefully it won’t be getting as hot as my current one

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Just noticed the eBay-UK supplier of my R1811 is now selling kits to use the iMac speakers with the R9A18/R1811's inbuilt audio amp. Kit consists of crossovers and cables so no modification is necessary.

Also kits for making 2011 iMac A1312 27" - and iPads 1,2,and 3,4, and iPad Air 1, iPad 5 - into HDMI monitors.

View attachment 2297801
Hi, I ordered the same cross over kit as your post above for my iMac speakers for my late 2015 27 inch iMac. I’ve also got the same R1811 V4 board. Before I hook it up, just wanted to ask a couple of simple questions if you don’t mind:)

1. Does it matter which of the cross over ”units” that I attach to the iMacs speakers (ie is one for the right speaker and one for the left speaker? Or, they’re interchangeable?

2. Is there a specific way the cross over connector for each unit plug into the iMac’s speaker that I need to be aware of?

I’ve attached a picture of my iMac. I haven’t connected or mounted of it as of yet.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_5156.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Hi, I ordered the same cross over kit as your post above for my iMac speakers for my late 2015 27 inch iMac. I’ve also got the same R1811 V4 board. Before I hook it up, just wanted to ask a couple of simple questions if you don’t mind:)

1. Does it matter which of the cross over ”units” that I attach to the iMacs speakers (ie is one for the right speaker and one for the left speaker? Or, they’re interchangeable?

2. Is there a specific way the cross over connector for each unit plug into the iMac’s speaker that I need to be aware of?
I have exactly the same setup.
1. Pinout is L+ L- R- R+, top to bottom. Correct crossover location on your photo.
2. I had to connect one crossover with reversed polarisation (switch + -),right speaker, to have the sound in phase.

This was discovered by PaulD-UK. The polarisation on the R1811 card is labeled wrong.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 06.08.34.png

test sound output to speakers:
What does In Phase & Out of Phase Sound Like, HiFi...

Last edited:

sadontsev

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2024

I don’t know.

@webhdx #466
Me #489
@Aiwi #822

There are always extra bits to consider, it seems :)

With the JRY board, the USB ports only work via the type-C port. Which I wasn't aware.
I guess it's common but never tried to make it work before.

Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to disable PD in the menu.
This means to I'll have to use a juicy internal PSU (leaning towards the iMac one as discussed recently) + fans. Probably, I'll follow this guide, as I have access to the Taobao as well.

Additionally, on the subject above, the JRY board seems to have the correct polarity for the speaker connector printed.
Checked my connection with the multimeter.

Lastly, if someone will ever wonder, Apple uses CM3*7*9 screws to mount the speakers. Unfortunately, I made a mistake myself first and tried to screw a *9* one instead which just got and so one of the speakers is partially 3M'ed instead :)

I decided to buy all iMac parts separately instead of getting a complete machine as a starting point. Screws, unsurprisingly, became one of the hardest pieces to find.

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I decided to buy all iMac parts separately instead of getting a complete machine as a starting point. Screws, unsurprisingly, became one of the hardest pieces to find.
Yeah - for how much people are willing to pay, and the shipping logistics, it's not worth a seller's time to ebay them for the tiny profit. I have a ziploc of screws I took out of my iMac sitting along with the speakers, power supply board, and memory SO-DIMMs. Only thing I was able to profitably re-sell was the main board, and that after 3 price drops.

Reactions: sadontsev

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I have exactly the same setup.
1. Pinout is L+ L- R- R+, top to bottom. Correct crossover location on your photo.
2. I had to connect one crossover with reversed polarisation (switch + -),right speaker, to have the sound in phase.

This was discovered by PaulD-UK. The polarisation on the R1811 card is labeled wrong.

View attachment 2374369

test sound output to speakers:
What does In Phase & Out of Phase Sound Like, HiFi...
Thanks for this! I saw your posts along with PaulD-UK back in November but didn’t really understand when I first read it. It’s becoming clearer now. If my understanding is correct, what you and PaulD-UK are saying is:

- The Pin positions on the R1811 board itself are (from top to bottom) in this picture you posted in November: L+ L- R- R+ (See picture label #1).

-
The cables coming from the Cross over unit connected to the right speaker (see picture label #2) are correctly in the + and - position (ie red wire is connected to the + and black wire connected to the -.

- The problem is that when connecting the cross over 4 wire bundle into the R1811 board, the wires for right speaker (ie the two on the bottom (when looking top to bottom) are reversed in that: The black (ie negative) wire is on the bottom and is therefore plugging into the boards (R+) connection (* ie mismatch). And, the red (ie positive) wire (2nd from the bottom) is therefore plugging into the boards (R-) connection (ie a mismatch). Is this correct?

-The solution therefore is: Reverse the wires on the cross over unit connected to the right speaker (ie red wire in the ”negative” side and black wire in the “positive” side.

Is my understanding correct?
IMG_8208.jpeg

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Yes, reverse the wires label #2. That is correct 👍
And for the record, I didn't understand it at first either ;) But the sound test made it very clear
Awesome!!! Thanks for all of your help. After the speakers are installed, I‘ll be just about ready to button it up (reseal the display! I’ll probably keep it taped up for a while as I’m testing it all.

gaule

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2024
Hi! Now i'am using it without fan and it works fine. Don't worry, you can remove the fan, but keep radiator.
But if you want to use it with a fan, than Noctua fan is almost inaudible. I was use resistor like this (see image).
Hello mate,
since my setup was complete, I can hear a loud noise from the fan. I tried Noctua fan but it is even loader at full speed. Are you still using it without fan? I found the resistor here but have no idea what Resistance level of Ohm is required? As fan has just two wires, how do I connect to the resistor with 3 wires? thanks

Last edited:

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
@Aiwi has said in his blog that his Noctua 40mm fan is made much quieter with a 150 ohm resistor inserted into the +ve wire.

The resistor/potentiometer you have linked to seems to be 50 KILohm (50,000 ohm), which is far too much resistance, not the right value.

Noctua sell a suitable resistor in their 'low noise adapter' NA-RC12, which is 150 ohms.
This should work with the original R1811 fan, or the Noctua 40x10/20.
For a two wire fan you just ignore the yellow wire in the NA-RC12 - just use the + red and - black.

If you want to use a variable potentiometer then you need a 300 or 500 ohm ‘linear’ one.
You connect the centre pin to the power supply + ve and the low end pin to the fan’s red +ve wire.
It is best to insulate the potentiometer from anything else…

Last edited:
Reactions: gaule

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
A pleasure. I still have mine taped up. In case I will try to do something like PaulD-UK and Aiwi with port outlets
I switched the red/white wires on the right side crossover and plugged everything in and everything sounds good from the iMac:). So, I guess I got everything hooked up correctly. The only thing is that the volume is fixed at a certain level and I can’t change it.

I saw in one of your posts that you use the R1811’s remote to change the volume. I’m assuming you are using some app to enable this. Is that a correct assumption? I saw one of PaulD-UK’s post where he uses a software called Monitor control from Github to control the volume/brightness of his monitor. Is that the same software you use?

• Love
Reactions: Regulus67

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
... The only thing is that the volume is fixed at a certain level and I can’t change it.

I saw in one of your posts that you use the R1811’s remote to change the volume. ...
I use the remote to regulate the volume without any problem, yes.
It is not as sensitive as the iMac was originally, but move it far enough, and you can hear the difference. macOS report volume disabled, when using the keyboard.

I hope you will get it sorted

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I use the remote to regulate the volume without any problem, yes.
It is not as sensitive as the iMac was originally, but move it far enough, and you can hear the difference. macOS report volume disabled, when using the keyboard.

I hope you will get it sorted
Thanks for the feedback. Hum…I’m not able to move the volume up or down using the remote. I might take a look at that monitor control software and see if that helps.

gaule

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2024
@Aiwi has said in his blog that his Noctua 40mm fan is made much quieter with a 150 ohm resistor inserted into the +ve wire.

The resistor/potentiometer you have linked to seems to be 50 KILohm (50,000 ohm), which is far too much resistance, not the right value.

Noctua sell a suitable resistor in their 'low noise adapter' NA-RC12, which is 150 ohms.
This should work with the original R1811 fan, or the Noctua 40x10/20.
For a two wire fan you just ignore the yellow wire in the NA-RC12 - just use the + red and - black.

If you want to use a variable potentiometer then you need a 300 or 500 ohm ‘linear’ one.
You connect the centre pin to the power supply + ve and the low end pin to the fan’s red +ve wire.
It is best to insulate the potentiometer from anything else…
fantastic, that's I needed. Now I use the same resistor and it's working but it does not lower down the speed smoothly. It's like it gets full speed and at some point I get lower speed. I'm settled for this lower speed for now. I will potentially look for the 300-500ohm resistor. Anyway, thanks for the explanation 👍

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Thanks for the feedback. Hum…I’m not able to move the volume up or down using the remote. I might take a look at that monitor control software and see if that helps.
Can you mute/unmute with the remote? If not, then I would check to make sure the signals are received by the control card

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
Can you mute/unmute with the remote? If not, then I would check to make sure the signals are received by the control card
It’s strange. I can use the remote to bring up the monitor menu, navigate through it, turn the monitor on/off, etc.. It’s just that the mute and volume up/down do nothing. I did download the “monitor control” app from Github and it gives me an icon at the top of my MBP display to control the speaker volume up/down and also the display brightness.

Not sure what would cause that, but at least I have a way to control them.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
It’s strange. I can use the remote to bring up the monitor menu, navigate through it, turn the monitor on/off, etc.. It’s just that the mute and volume up/down do nothing. I did download the “monitor control” app from Github and it gives me an icon at the top of my MBP display to control the speaker volume up/down and also the display brightness.

Not sure what would cause that, but at least I have a way to control them.
Are the buttons on the control board still available to use manually? Can you adjust the volume/mute using them? If they don't work the problem could be in the wiring between the control board and main board.

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
re: Using an iMac 27 main PSU to power a 12V adapter board - JRY-W9CUHD-AA1/R9A18/T18/T19

@stefan786 @USB3foriMac
Ok so I've done a test on a Delta PSU from a 2013 iMac 27":
Basically as soon as I plugged it in it worked.
I used it to power 12v car headlamp bulbs, one 60w and another 55w - so a total load of 115w (12v 9.5A).
It powered both of them at a full 12v without any fiddling with the logic board connection pins.

So it seems to be not as complicated as 2011 and earlier PSUs.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan786
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.