Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I dont know about you but I hate it when I am forced to use a non apple browser on the Mac such as Chrome or Firefox. Some websites don't work properly with Safari and in these situations I need to use one. I also hate using non apple based email clients and much prefer using apple Mail. MS outlook does have its advantages but in reality it's a better product on Windows. You?
For browser, I prefer to stay with Safari too, largely because of privacy and confidentiality reasons. Whether that assumption is true or not, I don’t really know, but I feel like Apple generally has pretty good privacy and confidentiality practices.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
For browser, I prefer to stay with Safari too, largely because of privacy and confidentiality reasons. Whether that assumption is true or not, I don’t really know, but I feel like Apple generally has pretty good privacy and confidentiality practices.
On new Mac with apple silicon over entry level intel i5 chip Safar is much faster and does not slow Mac down.

mac-kitty

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2023
USA
I use Safari most of the time on my MacBook and iMac, but I have to use another browser to log in to my internet provider's site to pay my bill. Not only does auto-fill not work with Safari, but I can't even paste in my password manually on Safari. I use Chrome for that site, and its auto-fill works there. I also have to use Chrome to listen to a couple of public radio stations online; if I use Safari, the stream will often quit spontaneously, forcing me to restart it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I use Safari most of the time on my MacBook and iMac, but I have to use another browser to log in to my internet provider's site to pay my bill. Not only does auto-fill not work with Safari, but I can't even paste in my password manually on Safari. I use Chrome for that site, and its auto-fill works there. I also have to use Chrome to listen to a couple of public radio stations online; if I use Safari, the stream will often quit spontaneously, forcing me to restart it.
Bad internet provider. I have paid many bills using Apple Pay on Mac safari.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Firefox with uBlock Origin and Firefox containers and upping the security settings to protect against cryptomining and fingerprinting etc which gives me better privacy than Safari. Considering nobody has complete anonymity on the web anyway I know uBlock Origin does a great job. Safari does not get enough security updates in my view as there is no update mechanism just for the browser which you think Apple would have sorted by now, if a new zero day exploit comes out Firefox like many of the other browsers will get updates very quickly Safari needs a point update for macOS as its so tied into the OS.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Safari currently has the worst browser extension support of any major browser, ever since Apple dropped proper extension support back in version 12 (all the way back in the macOS Mojave days). 😅

I mostly use Firefox, though I'll sometimes switch to Edge if a website is optimized for Chrome-based browsers (Edge is surprisingly good).

For anyone who really likes Safari but wishes it did a good job of supporting extensions, Orion Browser is a great alternative, and I'd probably use it more if I weren't so used to Firefox at this point.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Safari currently has the worst browser extension support of any major browser, ever since Apple dropped proper extension support back in version 12 (all the way back in the macOS Mojave days). 😅

I mostly use Firefox, though I'll sometimes switch to Edge if a website is optimized for Chrome-based browsers (Edge is surprisingly good).

For anyone who really likes Safari but wishes it did a good job of supporting extensions, Orion Browser is a great alternative, and I'd probably use it more if I weren't so used to Firefox at this point.
I do use FF at times and much better than Chrome in my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Thank you for telling me what my experiences are like.

(I don't discount that Safari is slow for you sometimes, but in my usage -- and I don't use dating websites -- Safari hasn't been a slow down.)
I clearly said that Safari was slow on some dating sites on the entry level intel chip. It’s been much much much faster on the m2 chip.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The corporate world is windows dominated.
I hadn't noticed.

I started out in 1983 as a software developer before there was a Mac and before Windows became useful. I was working on big machines. We used a lot of dumb terminals at that time.

At another job, I was helping keep Win98SE and WinNT 4 working and virus-free without special software, and we started using dumb terminal emulation on Windows.

It's rare to find a company that can use Macs exclusively.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I hadn't noticed.

I started out in 1983 as a software developer before there was a Mac and before Windows became useful. I was working on big machines. We used a lot of dumb terminals at that time.

At another job, I was helping keep Win98SE and WinNT 4 working and virus-free without special software, and we started using dumb terminal emulation on Windows.

It's rare to find a company that can use Macs exclusively.
In 1983 PC's used DOS which I also used in college from 1996-1997 as I took (2) classes in DOS and Windows 3.11. In 1983 a year before I started to use the Apple II in elementary school. Before there was a Mac there was the Apple II which I used all the way into High School. But in High School back in 1992 we got a Mac lab to replace the Apple II's. It was all 68K macs with floppy disks, serial ports, apple talk for networking, SCSI, ADB, and 80-160MB hard drives which was common at that time. 4-8MB of RAM as well which was more than the Apple II had. I also remember using Macs with Apple II cards in them so one could use Apple II software. My first exposure to Windows was in 1989 and it crashed!!! I had used MSDOS before then but never Windows.

Oh and I also used terminal emulators as well back in 1993. Global Village Zterm was the 68K app. But terminal emulators were around way before 1993.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.