Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
@MacBH928

how can you run 2 instances of FireFox?

Installing multiple versions on Mac OS X is basically dragging the Firefox application out of the DMG file to the desktop and rename the folder. You can drag the renamed Firefox application folder to the Applications folder like you would normally install Firefox.

there won't be issues if you rename it as Firefox2 , won't the system files clash with each other?

Flash1420

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2022
I just have Google Chrome as a backup, some webpages don't load properly on Safari. Other than that, I use Safari for 99% of the time. It just looks cleaner and works better with my other Apple devices.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Arc and occasionally Orion
How's Orion these days especially from Arc user's perspective?

I'm using Arc for work as I need to run MS Teams in browser and seems to be best optimized for Chromium based browsers (makes sense - when Microsoft has cared other browser engines than their own).

For everything else I use Safari, and I'm especially happy of introduction of browser profiles in Safari. I still think Arc's sidebar is probably my favorite browser interface, but Safari is just nice and speedy on Macs and I'd rather not use Chromium if possible.

Reactions: thmsnt

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
I tried Vivaldi (my default browser on Windows) on the Mac for a while, but I found it's notably slower than Safari. Currently evaluating Orion though, and it's pretty neat!

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
How's Orion these days especially from Arc user's perspective?

I'm not the user, but I found Arc (its first public version even had a bug that just filled my RAM without launching a window!) to be really annoying to use. I guess if you started with Netscape, you just got used to certain ways of doing stuff on the web, and Arc deliberately doesn't do that. Orion feels like Safari on Steroids. I wish it supported the iCloud Keychain though.

Last edited:

greyeyezz

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2017
If you are using anything other than Safari on your Mac, you blew it.

Safari is the best damn web browser offering incredible features and best-in-class privacy and security features.
The idea of anyone using any chrome-based browser makes me vomit.
I can only describe Safari as archaic compared to Vivaldi.

Kotsos81

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2023
I use Arc which, IMHO, is a fantastic browser.

I used Safari lately only to put in the Dock a few websites that I visit daily as Progressive Web Apps (PWAs), such as YouTube. Other than that, Safari isn't for me for some reason.

sundhar1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
There are two ways i have managed to run multiple instances of FireFox browser on macOS. One is slightly technically involved and another one is straight forward.

The straight forward method of running multiple versions of firefox is to download different versions of firefox and installing them/renaming them as needed. For example Firefox offers following versions
  1. Select any versions of interest (Firefox, Firefox Extended Support Release, Firefox Developer Edition, Firefox Beta, Firefox Nightly edition etc) from this url https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release
  2. Upon installation if you are prompted that Firefox application already exists, chose to keep both and then rename the application to a unique name within the /Applications folder.
The technically inclined method is to create different profiles for a single Firefox instance using Firefox Profile Manager (inbuilt within the browser) and use Automator script to launch the specific profiles.
  1. Use the Profile Manager to create multiple profiles as described in this help page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...-remove-firefox-profiles&redirectlocale=en-US
  2. Use Automator to create a new Application (File -> New -> Application). Select "Run Shell Script" as the action and enter the command "open -n -a Firefox --args -P <profile-name>" where the <profile-name> must be replaced with your specified profile name on step 1.
  3. Save the Automator script somewhere in the computer like Documents folder. If needed you can chose to add a Firefox icon to this application by selecting the "Get Info" option on the right click menu of the saved Automator application and drag an .ico file of. your choice from the web into the icon location.
  4. Double click the saved Automator script application to launch a new instance of the Firefox browser and right click on the dock to select options -> keep in dock, if preferred to keep the application on the dock.

There are few drawback in having multiple profiles of a single Firefox application running as i have described in the second method.
  1. When one instance of a Firefox crashes or freezes, all the running instances will end.
  2. All Firefox instances share the same application memory pool. This may be a security risk in certain use cases.
  3. Backup and restore of the profile settings, Automator application become important in this use case if a new version removes the custom profiles or there is a need to reinstall them.
  4. Updating of Firefox cannot happen until all running instances of Firefox browsers are closed. Can become annoying quickly.
After trying the second method for a long time, i have resorted to the first method and use a plugin called "Firefox Multi-Account Containers" within the browser to keep separate work-spaces for individual websites/web applications. This can be accessed here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

Reactions: MacBH928

bd700pilot

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Safari. All the reasons you would use an Apple app on an Apple device. integration mainly, but privacy also.

Site that doesn’t work properly in Safari? I don’t resort to Firefox, I use the Developer Menu and select User Agent and then select macOS Firefox or macOS Chrome and boom…. Site works fine.

I regularly visit sites that have that annoying banner “site optimized for chrome or Firefox” and they all work in Safari.

All you have to do is enable Debeloper options in the Safari preferences. I ain’t no developer and even I can figure this out. :)

Only one 3rd part extension needed: 1Blocker for ads and other annoying stuff.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
There are two ways i have managed to run multiple instances of FireFox browser on macOS. One is slightly technically involved and another one is straight forward.

The straight forward method of running multiple versions of firefox is to download different versions of firefox and installing them/renaming them as needed. For example Firefox offers following versions
  1. Select any versions of interest (Firefox, Firefox Extended Support Release, Firefox Developer Edition, Firefox Beta, Firefox Nightly edition etc) from this url https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release
  2. Upon installation if you are prompted that Firefox application already exists, chose to keep both and then rename the application to a unique name within the /Applications folder.
The technically inclined method is to create different profiles for a single Firefox instance using Firefox Profile Manager (inbuilt within the browser) and use Automator script to launch the specific profiles.
  1. Use the Profile Manager to create multiple profiles as described in this help page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/k...-remove-firefox-profiles&redirectlocale=en-US
  2. Use Automator to create a new Application (File -> New -> Application). Select "Run Shell Script" as the action and enter the command "open -n -a Firefox --args -P <profile-name>" where the <profile-name> must be replaced with your specified profile name on step 1.
  3. Save the Automator script somewhere in the computer like Documents folder. If needed you can chose to add a Firefox icon to this application by selecting the "Get Info" option on the right click menu of the saved Automator application and drag an .ico file of. your choice from the web into the icon location.
  4. Double click the saved Automator script application to launch a new instance of the Firefox browser and right click on the dock to select options -> keep in dock, if preferred to keep the application on the dock.

There are few drawback in having multiple profiles of a single Firefox application running as i have described in the second method.
  1. When one instance of a Firefox crashes or freezes, all the running instances will end.
  2. All Firefox instances share the same application memory pool. This may be a security risk in certain use cases.
  3. Backup and restore of the profile settings, Automator application become important in this use case if a new version removes the custom profiles or there is a need to reinstall them.
  4. Updating of Firefox cannot happen until all running instances of Firefox browsers are closed. Can become annoying quickly.
After trying the second method for a long time, i have resorted to the first method and use a plugin called "Firefox Multi-Account Containers" within the browser to keep separate work-spaces for individual websites/web applications. This can be accessed here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/multi-account-containers/

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

whats the difference between mutli account container extension and containers built into firefox?

Lord of the Pies

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2016
South Africa
Safari. All the reasons you would use an Apple app on an Apple device. integration mainly, but privacy also.

Site that doesn’t work properly in Safari? I don’t resort to Firefox, I use the Developer Menu and select User Agent and then select macOS Firefox or macOS Chrome and boom…. Site works fine.

I regularly visit sites that have that annoying banner “site optimized for chrome or Firefox” and they all work in Safari.

All you have to do is enable Debeloper options in the Safari preferences. I ain’t no developer and even I can figure this out. :)

Only one 3rd part extension needed: 1Blocker for ads and other annoying stuff.
Safari is lacking a ton of popular browser extensions and its bookmarks are borderline unusable. I'd love to switch, but I'd lose my mind quickly with such poor bookmark management.

Reactions: javisan

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Yes. I sometimes have to use Chrome which is EASILY in my opinion the worst major browser out there. I think people who like it never used anything else. The fact that it can't even detect a changed password for weeks unless your signed in (which I refuse to do) is shameful.

Lord of the Pies

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2016
South Africa
Yes. I sometimes have to use Chrome which is EASILY in my opinion the worst major browser out there. I think people who like it never used anything else. The fact that it can't even detect a changed password for weeks unless your signed in (which I refuse to do) is shameful.
I switched to Chrome a month or two ago, from Firefox Dev Edition.

Chrome is way better since I last used it. The godawful downloads bar is gone, the design is more modern, browsing feels faster, Translate is great, Google Earth is more responsive.

Can't say I've had any password issues with Chrome and 1Password, although I use Google Workspace and I'm always signed in.

It's not that big of a deal, seeing as all the popular browsers are pretty good, but Chrome edges it out for me for now.

Reactions: javisan

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Safari is lacking a ton of popular browser extensions and its bookmarks are borderline unusable. I'd love to switch, but I'd lose my mind quickly with such poor bookmark management.

whats missing? seems like all the other bookmark managers

Firefox does not have containers built-in.

Mine does

Screen Shot 2024-01-24 at 8.54.19 AM.jpg

I switched to Chrome a month or two ago, from Firefox Dev Edition.

Chrome is way better since I last used it. The godawful downloads bar is gone, the design is more modern, browsing feels faster, Translate is great, Google Earth is more responsive.

Can't say I've had any password issues with Chrome and 1Password, although I use Google Workspace and I'm always signed in.

It's not that big of a deal, seeing as all the popular browsers are pretty good, but Chrome edges it out for me for now.

have you considered Brave? its like Chrome without the Google tracking code. 100% open source

Reactions: Chuckeee

sundhar1

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Reactions: it wasnt me

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Safari has zero cookie filtering controls that actually stem the tide of cookie packing (please, go take a look at your mountain of Safari cookies, I'll wait) and, as a result, is my browser of last resort. Quite literally, it gets used for a single webpage viewing and when the page is closed the cookies and data all get manually purged before closing the app. Absolute junk for this user.

Firefox with NoScript or go home, for this surfer.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
As far as i can tell the "New Container Tab" appears only when the Multi-Account Containers extension is installed. I tried with a new install of FireFox without the extension today and the menu item does not appear. Help article confirming this is https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-use-firefox-containers

Can you please check if you have installed the Multi-Account Containers extension by any chance?
This is my extensions . I am running FF 120.0.1, MacOS 12.7.2
1706167325941.jpeg

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Generally I don't; now Apple has given Safari profiles, I have even less requirement to do so.

I do however have copies of Mozilla and Vivaldi installed but they are only used to circumvent compatibility issues (rare) or prior to Safari getting profiles, to keep different accounts logged into different browses or entirely isolate sites from other site's cookies, cache, etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.