Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I won't use Safari for one single reason - it KILLS my productivity. I have EVERYTHING bookmarked. Use probably 50 different bookmarks on a daily basis. They're all organized in folders. All the folders are in the Favorites Bar beneath the URL. Sometimes I'll only want to open 3 or 4 (maybe 5) bookmarks from a folder (WAY more bookmarks in each folder than I want to open all at once, so can't do a 'open in tab group', or 'open all'... can't make a new folder just with the ones I want because that changes all the time).

Anyway, on Google Chrome I click the folder, it expands, and in a split second I can Command+Click however many bookmarks and they open in new tabs...

Safari will NOT let me do this!!! Every time I click one, the folder closes. Sometimes I'm 2-3 folders deep... and I have to re-navigate all the way back in, click another one... it friggin closes again... so on so forth.

If there's some way I'm doing this wrong PLEASE let me know... I've posted (on Reddit/Mac) about it before and not a single person posted with a solution...
If you use the bookmarks sidebar, you can click on as many bookmarks as you like without it closing until you close it explicitly

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Just remember that this is because there is a constant need of security measures to be implemented. I'd prefer that they are patched ASAP rather than Apple deciding the whole OS needs to be updated every once in a while (Safari always tend to be added to those).
Safari does get updated more often than the OS, though. It isn’t entirely tied to OS updates.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Just remember that this is because there is a constant need of security measures to be implemented. I'd prefer that they are patched ASAP rather than Apple deciding the whole OS needs to be updated every once in a while (Safari always tend to be added to those).
Dude... what kind of websites do you like visiting?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Dude... what kind of websites do you like visiting?
It not so much about the sites but the ads. Ads are distributed in networks, often with little oversight and can appear on perfectly reputable sites. Those ads can contain all sorts of sketchy code.

Reactions: Donoban

Paul Simon

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
It not so much about the sites but the ads. Ads are distributed in networks, often with little oversight and can appear on perfectly reputable sites. Those ads can contain all sorts of sketchy code.
A whole lot of that ad nonsense went away when I started using PiHole on a Raspberry Pi Zero. The online experience is completely different, for the better, when ads get lost in a DNS black hole instead of infesting your network.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
A whole lot of that ad nonsense went away when I started using PiHole on a Raspberry Pi Zero. The online experience is completely different, for the better, when ads get lost in a DNS black hole instead of infesting your network.
DUDE! That’s sick. I have to do this, thanks for the heads up.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I personally don’t like any other browser. Safari is my favorite. If I was on Windows I’d use Edge. I hate Chrome, it’s the biggest POS browser out there (it literally can’t even update a stored password for weeks after I change it on any of my systems, which is pathetic). Firefox has gotten better but it’s still not something I care to use.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
DUDE! That’s sick. I have to do this, thanks for the heads up.

You do not need to . You can use free dns from ControlD or Adguard. It will have the same effect.

Using PiHole gives the advantage of controling everything, blocking whatever you want , and set it up exactly like you want. ControlD and Adguard they decide what gets blocked and what does not , but its free and hassle free.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
You do not need to . You can use free dns from ControlD or Adguard. It will have the same effect.

Using PiHole gives the advantage of controling everything, blocking whatever you want , and set it up exactly like you want. ControlD and Adguard they decide what gets blocked and what does not , but its free and hassle free.
Thank you - learning about these new products. Will search now.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

DUDE ! I can browse macrumours without all of the ads!

Life changing. TY!

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Netscape Navigator was my browser and e-mail app for many years. I have retained a netscape.net e-mail address even though Netscape was sold to AOL. I doubt that there are many of those accounts still around. I've only run into one other person who has one.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
At the moment I am using Orion+ on my macs and iphone beecause it's even faster than Safari and supports Chrome/Firefox extensions and has an excellent ad/tracker blocker built in; Firefox+Vivaldi in Kali Linux for pentesting (Vivaldi for regular browsing and Firefox for use with Burp Suite and ZAP thanks to the handy containers feature).

Sweet_Caroline

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2022
Earth
I’ve been using Brave for a year or so and I like it. We started to use it because my kids school websites work better on Chrome. I’m not a fan of Chrome and my husband told me and kids to try Brave.

Reactions: MacBH928

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
At the moment I am using Orion+ on my macs and iphone beecause it's even faster than Safari and supports Chrome/Firefox extensions and has an excellent ad/tracker blocker built in; Firefox+Vivaldi in Kali Linux for pentesting (Vivaldi for regular browsing and Firefox for use with Burp Suite and ZAP thanks to the handy containers feature).

how you see Orion faster? i never noticed anything faster with it. Its more closer to "lightweight"

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Maybe it was just an impression because I am testing Ulaa now and seems faster still :p

its chromium browser, which means it uses the Blink enginge. Should be just as fast in rendering website as Chrome and Brave and Edge.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I refuse to install Chrome (or any other Google app) on my devices because I hate how they do invisible automatic updates without warning or user intervention in the background. I want to be in control of new software being installed on my computers. When Safari updates Apple tells you when, why, and asks your permission to do it. Google, nope, just trust us, we know more than you do. Not acceptable. Google, stop being evil.

Oversleep1147

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
I dont know about you but I hate it when I am forced to use a non apple browser on the Mac such as Chrome or Firefox. Some websites don't work properly with Safari and in these situations I need to use one. I also hate using non apple based email clients and much prefer using apple Mail. MS outlook does have its advantages but in reality it's a better product on Windows. You?

Safari is Apple's native browser, renowned for seamless macOS integration and a strong emphasis on privacy, performing perfectly within the ecosystem. I use Chrome as an alternative for specific testing, extensions, and certain websites, particularly those associated with Google. Being a cross-platform browser, it facilitates syncing across devices, including PCs and Linux. However, I am not fond of Chrome's tracking practices and have recently explored Brave, a lighter, performance-optimised browser that prioritises a privacy-centric experience. That being said, my primary browsers are Safari and Chrome.

Reactions: TracerAnalog

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
If you are using anything other than Safari on your Mac, you blew it.

Safari is the best damn web browser offering incredible features and best-in-class privacy and security features.
The idea of anyone using any chrome-based browser makes me vomit.
As long as you do not care about a 3-4 year old exploit:

A little more on the exploit:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.