Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own the Qualcomm or Intel iPhone 8/X?

• Qualcomm

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • I don't own an iPhone 8/X

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
For those of you with the iPhone 8 or X, do you own the Qualcomm or Intel version? I'm curious to see if it's roughly 50/50 or if the Qualcomm model is much more popular.

johnny hotsauce

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Qualcomm 8 Plus, then again I'm on Verizon so having the Qualcomm version kinda comes with the carrier I have, LOL. Nice to know though that I can switch to another carrier if I wanted to without having to buy a new phone :)

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Qualcomm 8 Plus, then again I'm on Verizon so having the Qualcomm version kinda comes with the carrier I have, LOL. Nice to know though that I can switch to another carrier if I wanted to without having to buy a new phone :)

That’s 90% of what happens. This is basically a sprint/Verizon vs att/tmo poll + some outliers.

Not sure the point.

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
For those of you with the iPhone 8 or X, do you own the Qualcomm or Intel version? I'm curious to see if it's roughly 50/50 or if the Qualcomm model is much more popular.

Much more popular? Do you actually think most people even know they have a choice, and only have that choice at Best Buy until the SIM free version comes out? If you're on a GSM network and you order from your network, or Apple, you're getting a GSM phone. No choice.

If you walk into any store, including an Apple store or Best Buy, AT&T, etc. and ask them which modem is more popular in the iPhone, they will look at you crosseyed. If the people selling the phone don't even know or care about the difference, the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn't know or care either.

You and about 65 other people on the planet are even thinking about it. The only number smaller than that is the number of people who specifically went to Best Buy because they want a Qualcomm.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Qualcomm iPhone X

If I'm spending so much and paying the same price, I wanted a world phone. Not a crippled Intel version for AT&T/T-Mo.

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Qualcomm iPhone X

If I'm spending so much and paying the same price, I wanted a world phone. Not a crippled Intel version for AT&T/T-Mo.

So who is stopping you? Go to best buy or buy the SIM free. FYI CDMA is circling the drain. Also, better hold onto it once you get it, because Apple is likely ditching Qualcomm.

If you need me, I'll be traveling all over with my crippled Intel phone that I didn't have to jump through hoops for, or wait for, or deal with a flaky big box store to get.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Qualcomm iPhone X

Funny you should say that, US is just about the only place in the world that uses CDMA anymore. So the Crippled as you call it Intel Version is pretty good at traveling the world.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Much more popular? Do you actually think most people even know they have a choice, and only have that choice at Best Buy until the SIM free version comes out? If you're on a GSM network and you order from your network, or Apple, you're getting a GSM phone. No choice.

If you walk into any store, including an Apple store or Best Buy, AT&T, etc. and ask them which modem is more popular in the iPhone, they will look at you crosseyed. If the people selling the phone don't even know or care about the difference, the vast majority of the rest of the world doesn't know or care either.

You and about 65 other people on the planet are even thinking about it. The only number smaller than that is the number of people who specifically went to Best Buy because they want a Qualcomm.

Someone’s in a bad mood. Don’t like it? Don’t click on the post.

Reactions: karmatourer

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So who is stopping you? Go to best buy or buy the SIM free. FYI CDMA is circling the drain. Also, better hold onto it once you get it, because Apple is likely ditching Qualcomm.

If you need me, I'll be traveling all over with my crippled Intel phone.

Already bought in HK. No Qualcomm/Intel lottery there as all models in HK/China are Qualcomm.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Someone’s in a bad mood. Don’t like it? Don’t click on the post.

Not in a bad mood at all. Just don't understand why some people think their obscure obsessions are widely shared and poll worthy. Sorry if you don't want to hear that.

For every Qualcomm/Intel thread (of which there are already many), a topic that has a potentially much wider interest potentially gets pushed off of the first page into oblivion. That's sad.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Funny you should say that, US is just about the only place in the world that uses CDMA anymore. So the Crippled as you call it Intel Version is pretty good at traveling the world.

Refer to Wiki link above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.