Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own the Qualcomm or Intel iPhone 8/X?

• Qualcomm

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • I don't own an iPhone 8/X

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Already bought in HK. No Qualcomm/Intel lottery there as all models in HK/China are Qualcomm.
Cool, I look forward to your full report of the big speed differences and battery life increases that are the ongoing fantasy of the people who start these threads and use words like "crippled", in the face of multiple analysis that call the differences nominal, transient, and ultimately unknowable/not guaranteed for every user in every situation/location.

Last edited:

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Not in a bad mood at all. Just don't understand why some people think their obscure obsessions are widely shared and poll worthy. Sorry if you don't want to hear that.

For every Qualcomm/Intel thread (of which there are already many), a topic that has a potentially much wider interest potentially gets pushed off of the first page into oblivion. That's sad.

I’m curious to see just how many people feel the need to get the Qualcomm model out of interest. There are far worse threads here than this.

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
I’m curious to see just how many people feel the need to get the Qualcomm model out of interest. There are far worse threads here than this.

Since the only way a TMobile or ATT customer can even buy a Qualcomm iPhone X is to buy a Verizon or Sprint model in store at Apple or 2nd hand market, your survey is seriously flawed and does not represent the majority of TMobile and ATT customers.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Since the only way a TMobile or ATT customer can even buy a Qualcomm iPhone X is to buy a Verizon or Sprint model in store at Apple or 2nd hand market, your survey is seriously flawed and does not represent the majority of TMobile and ATT customers.

Not in my view, I simply want to see out of the users here, what model is more popular.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Not in a bad mood at all. Just don't understand why some people think their obscure obsessions are widely shared and poll worthy. Sorry if you don't want to hear that.

For every Qualcomm/Intel thread (of which there are already many), a topic that has a potentially much wider interest potentially gets pushed off of the first page into oblivion. That's sad.
For real merge and sticky some of these if need be, it's brutal

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I have the T-Mobile version, so the A1901. I would assume this one would be the most common as it's the most commonly sold version among carriers worldwide.

Diminish82

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
I'm on AT&T, but went out of my way to buy an unlocked Verizon Qualcomm X on Swappa. The qualcomm version supports additional LTE bands, can be used anywhere in the world, and most importantly - holds usable LTE signal where the intel version drops to no signal.

Most everyone in my office did the same. Those with the Intel iPhones sit with no signal while the Qualcomm phones sit with a quite usable one bar of service.

illmatic41

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
The qualcomm version supports additional LTE bands, can be used anywhere in the world, and most importantly - holds usable LTE signal where the intel version drops to no signal.

There are no additional LTE bands in the Qualcomm model. Both phones run the same LTE bands, with the Qualcomm model having additional CDMA support.

Reactions: Starship67

Double0CK7

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2015
I got an unlocked 8+ in the UK.. what is the actual difference? Why aren’t the others ‘worldwide’? Roaming is free around Europe so I imagine we get the gsm ones?

california_kid

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
There are 2 models:

One always tells the truth and the other always lies.

Your challenge is to figure out which one has the Qualcomm modem by asking only 3 yes/no questions.

I tried man, but I got nowhere:

1) Are you faster than the other modem?
2) Do you work on CDMA?
3) Did Apple cripple your performance?

One answered - Yes, Yes, Yes
Other one answered - Yes, Yes, Yes

Asianpork

macrumors member
May 12, 2016
Is there a difference between the two modems in how quickly an LTE signal is picked up again?

I have an iphone 8+, through Apple upgrade program, for T-Mobile and it takes a mighty long time to pick up an LTE signal again once the phone comes out of signal dead space (Elevator, subway).

Sometimes as long as 5 mins. I find myself toggling airplane mode on and off frequently to get an LTE signal much faster.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

I’m on ATT, I have an X. I make call, receive calls, same for txts and I’m able to access the internet.

That’s my need and it’s been met.

I had two silver 7pluses, 1 QC other Intel.
Luckily I had two different color cases so I could differentiate the work from personal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.