Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own the Qualcomm or Intel iPhone 8/X?

• Qualcomm

Votes: 52 44.1%
  • Intel

Votes: 59 50.0%
  • I don't own an iPhone 8/X

Votes: 7 5.9%

• Total voters

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
Is there a difference between the two modems in how quickly an LTE signal is picked up again?

I have an iphone 8+, through Apple upgrade program, for T-Mobile and it takes a mighty long time to pick up an LTE signal again once the phone comes out of signal dead space (Elevator, subway).

Sometimes as long as 5 mins. I find myself toggling airplane mode on and off frequently to get an LTE signal much faster.

HOLY CRAP! I went to the Apple store to bring this to their attention and they looked at me like I was retarded. I am an engineer and I know about software attenuation (when the attenuation causes a software glitch). We work in the same lab as the DOCSIS engineers at a large telco and we have maybe 1,000 eMTAs with their WiFi antennas on, which destroys the cellular signal.
Also, doesn't help we are in a basement surround by concrete.

I have no Cell signal down there and to make a call I have to go upstairs and sometimes it takes DAMN NEAR a half hour to regain LTE data.
I've resolved myself to hard rebooting every day when I leave work if the issue crops up.

I've already sent Apple all the relevant logs and they never got back to me.

I think the Intel modems are the unlocked phones, as I am AUP. My 7 Plus suffered badly from this issue.
So far, the X has only had it happen twice in the month I've had it.

But I think it is a very real thing.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I had the intel model, and I experienced the phone consistently dropping from LTE to very slow 4G in some areas, so I returned it and got the Qualcomm model. I have not had the Qualcomm drop to 4G in those locations (or any location, for that matter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.