Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you regret updating to iPhone 14 Pro, or 14 Pro Max for that matter?

• No regrets whatsoever!!

Votes: 97 72.9%
  • Not sure yet but probably going to keep it!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Really unsure, on the fence to let it go!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Total regret, getting rid of it for a better choice!

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Hi all,

Do you regret upgrading to iPhone 14 Pro or even 14 Pro Max??

I am really curious to get some thoughts around any regrets, or the opposite if that’s the case. It’s an even pricier device this time around, especially here in Europe where I am… at least we get a sim tray 😂

Myself, I went from a regular 13, 12 mini before that, to the 14PM, and have to say I’m not at all overwhelmed over the size as I thought I would be. After all, I’ve gone from a mini to a max in not too long, and it was really a definite change of need of big screen and longer battery life that forced my stepwise upgrades. I do not regret my upgrade to 14PM personally, even if it did sting my wallet quite a bit, but you out there might have a lot more thoughts about this? Also quite interested to hear the upgrades from previous Pro Max generations, since that could have been a choice I could have taken.

It would be really interesting to read your comments and see your votes!

Wish you a nice day!

Last edited:

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
From 12 mini to 14 Pro Max. Battery life, screen size and camera worth it.
Yes exactly, and for my user case right now those points were crucial. I wish I could have had the same battery life and camera in the mini… but then again I would have been short on the screen size 🫣. Do you have the 14P/PM and what did you upgrade from?

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Yes exactly, and for my user case right now those points were crucial. I wish I could have had the same battery life and camera in the mini… but then again I would have been short on the screen size 🫣. Do you have the 14P/PM and what did you upgrade from?

What I wrote 😅 I have now a 14 PM and I upgraded from 12 mini ;)

Reactions: Carlsberg69

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
No, not at all. In fact I bought two of them. Both 1TB each, both gold. Love them both. The 6.1” is too small and I really like the screen real-estate of the 14 pro max.

RedOctober

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2015
West side of Oz
Upgraded to a iPhone 14 Pro Max 256Gb from a Samsung S20 FE 5G last week. The last iPhone I had was the iPhone 4. Felt it was about time I crossed back and besides, my FIL is a huge Apple fanboi (even though he's nearing 90 years old) and he couldn't stand the sight of me using the Samsung so he forked out a bunch of cash for me to upgrade. I'm not complaining :)

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
I had the 13 Pro Max and did deliberate over upgrading to 14 Pro Max.

Battery life was pants at first but subsequent software updates have improved it somewhat; given what’s been “leaked” thus far I can’t see me upgrading to the 15 series.

Only real regret? That the 14PM wasn’t available in Alpine Green.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Yes, I recently sold my 14 Pro and got a 13 Mini, having never owned a mini before. I got tired of the size and weight of the pro phones, and much prefer the form factor of the mini. I midly miss promotion, I thought I would miss the dynamic island and AOD, but I don't. Really hope that Apple resurrects the Mini line in the future.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Yes, I recently sold my 14 Pro and got a 13 Mini, having never owned a mini before. I got tired of the size and weight of the pro phones, and much prefer the form factor of the mini. I midly miss promotion, I thought I would miss the dynamic island and AOD, but I don't. Really hope that Apple resurrects the Mini line in the future.
The miss is the camera and battery

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
13 PM to 14PM. Nope. Don't regret it. The 14PM feels a little faster and I really like the island thing at the top. While the 13 PM felt slightly longer lasting on the battery my eyes like the 14 PM screen better for whatever reason ( I can read on it a lot longer ).
I had the 13 Pro Max and did deliberate over upgrading to 14 Pro Max.

Battery life was pants at first but subsequent software updates have improved it somewhat; given what’s been “leaked” thus far I can’t see me upgrading to the 15 series.

Only real regret? That the 14PM wasn’t available in Alpine Green.
Interesting comments @BigMcGuire and @iGeek2019! Going to use the term island thing from here on 😄 but faster and somehow better for the eyes compared to 13PM is something! Agree on not jumping on to next coming “15PM”! For me it was just getting the best and newest right now especially when it came to screen and battery, and will have to last at least 2-3 years if not longer!

The miss is the camera and battery
@Macintosh101, yes you must like really miss the battery life, no? Or how do you deal with that, or maybe you didn’t had the need even when having the 14P?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

LunarFalcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
I do regret it a bit, but I won't be getting rid of it. I had regular 12 that was 2 years old, and it was still looking good with great battery life. The 14 pro just isn't enough of a step ahead to warrant the upgrade.

I was in a habit of upgrading every 2 years, but I should have kept the 12 another year.

2shars2cents

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Depends on how much it means to you, but upgrading from a 13PM is overkill imo. I used to get the Max/Plus versions until they became too uncomfortable to use in one hand so stuck with the regular pro. There will always be another iPhone so it's best to appreciate the one you have and keep it as long as possible. The 14 pros weren't that enticing for me anyway

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Depends on how much it means to you, but upgrading from a 13PM is overkill imo. I used to get the Max/Plus versions until they became too uncomfortable to use in one hand so stuck with the regular pro. There will always be another iPhone so it's best to appreciate the one you have and keep it as long as possible. The 14 pros weren't that enticing for me anyway
Yes I can definitely see that! I was actually considering buying a 13PM instead of the 14PM now, could have saved some $$$ of course! Coming from the 13 and needing the better/bigger screen and battery life, I just thought what the heck, it’s always better to get the newest version when you buy and have it last longer!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Interesting comments @BigMcGuire and @iGeek2019! Going to use the term island thing from here on 😄 but faster and somehow better for the eyes compared to 13PM is something! Agree on not jumping on to next coming “15PM”! For me it was just getting the best and newest right now especially when it came to screen and battery, and will have to last at least 2-3 years if not longer!

@Macintosh101, yes you must like really miss the battery life, no? Or how do you deal with that, or maybe you didn’t had the need even when having the 14P?
I went from a 13 max to a 12 mini and now 14 pro in last 6 weeks.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I went from a 13 max to a 12 mini and now 14 pro in last 6 weeks.
That is definitely I high degree of back and forth upgrading :cool: just had a thought, if a 13 max and 12 mini had a baby… it would be a 14 pro 👼:D

How come these 3 in 6 week?

• Haha
Reactions: LoveMyPens
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.