Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you regret updating to iPhone 14 Pro, or 14 Pro Max for that matter?

• No regrets whatsoever!!

Votes: 97 72.9%
  • Not sure yet but probably going to keep it!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Really unsure, on the fence to let it go!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Total regret, getting rid of it for a better choice!

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters

Woody1073

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2019
United Kingdom
I’ve always upgraded every year for one reason and one reason only and that reason has always been that the signal in every iPhone has been total trash and with living in a weak signal area the most important feature for me personally is a stellar aerial so each year I upgraded hoping the new iPhone would be the one that met expectations but non did and I always suffered with dropped calls, failed sms or just no network whatsoever and then when I got the 13 pro I got what I wanted I finally had a phone that more often than not had good signal or enough signal to actually function as a phone, the only downside is the ability to force my phone to use a 3G signal was taken away and where I live there are some places you can only receive a 3G signal and unfortunately I’ve found iPhone very reluctant to drop on to a 3G signal if it detects even the faintest 4G signal so I’m a bit miffed about that but after years of waiting for a phone that holds on to signal well enough for me to be able to use my phone as a phone I’m extremely reluctant to upgrade to a 14, 15 or any other mobile so I’m going to keep this phone until it falls apart or fails in some major way and then I’ll have to take my chances on a new iPhone.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I’ve always upgraded every year for one reason and one reason only and that reason has always been that the signal in every iPhone has been total trash and with living in a weak signal area the most important feature for me personally is a stellar aerial so each year I upgraded hoping the new iPhone would be the one that met expectations but non did and I always suffered with dropped calls, failed sms or just no network whatsoever and then when I got the 13 pro I got what I wanted I finally had a phone that more often than not had good signal or enough signal to actually function as a phone, the only downside is the ability to force my phone to use a 3G signal was taken away and where I live there are some places you can only receive a 3G signal and unfortunately I’ve found iPhone very reluctant to drop on to a 3G signal if it detects even the faintest 4G signal so I’m a bit miffed about that but after years of waiting for a phone that holds on to signal well enough for me to be able to use my phone as a phone I’m extremely reluctant to upgrade to a 14, 15 or any other mobile so I’m going to keep this phone until it falls apart or fails in some major way and then I’ll have to take my chances on a new iPhone.
That was one heck of a long sentence!! 😲
Anyhow, 14 and 15 is probably as god as 13’s signal, if not better, for sure.

Reactions: MarkX

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I just upgraded two days ago to the 14 Pro Max from the 13 Pro. I did it exclusively for the larger size but I really prefer dynamic island to the notch, makes it feel much more symmetrical and the always on display is really nice too. Stuck a MagSafe pops socket and it’s totally fine to hold.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I just upgraded two days ago to the 14 Pro Max from the 13 Pro. I did it exclusively for the larger size but I really prefer dynamic island to the notch, makes it feel much more symmetrical and the always on display is really nice too. Stuck a MagSafe pops socket and it’s totally fine to hold.
I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade mid-cycle because I want to go from 12PM to 14 Pro (non-Max). I've always preferred big screens but I've grown tired of the size of the PM even with popsocket (I do have small-ish hands though; I'll be using a popsocket even on the 14 or 15 Pro, whichever I end up upgrading to).

liewht

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2017
iPhone 12 to iPhone 14PM

Generally regret due to the lousily implemented AOD. Buggy as hell AOD function, lags the notification Lock Screen and also bugged out when sometimes it doesn’t show the AOD EVEN THOUGH AOD IS ON

Reactions: Carlsberg69

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
On paper the ip14mp camera is better than the 13mp. The 14's longer focal length isn't welcomed. Looking back at pictures taken with my 13mp and wife's 13p, I should have never upgraded to the 14mp, solely for the camera

• Wow

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I've upgraded every year since the 3G model. My previous phone was the 13 Mini which I gave to my wife when I got my 14. I prefer the size of my 13 Mini unless I'm watching video which I seldom do. I may skip the next upgrade if Apple doesn't have a form factor of the Mini.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
If I didn’t get one about 600$ CAD off market price, i would have been underwhelmed

But otherwise generally happy with the 14 Pro

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I upgraded from an 11 Pro mainly due to these reasons:
* its battery was getting noticeably weaker
* shooting more and more in 4k recently, 64 GB of storage was just not enough anymore
* camera features and quality have improved a lot since 2019

My 14 Pro (512 GB) is top notch in these areas and I can even edit/render movies in Lumafusion. iOS is rock solid as well. Therefore: No Regrets Whatsoever!

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
I am not upgrading simply because I am not willing to loose my physical SIM tray in case I ever need it.
Yeah, this is really a bummer why they did this for the US(+) market, I wonder what pushed this decision…

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Interesting comments @BigMcGuire and @iGeek2019! Going to use the term island thing from here on 😄 but faster and somehow better for the eyes compared to 13PM is something! Agree on not jumping on to next coming “15PM”! For me it was just getting the best and newest right now especially when it came to screen and battery, and will have to last at least 2-3 years if not longer!

@Macintosh101, yes you must like really miss the battery life, no? Or how do you deal with that, or maybe you didn’t had the need even when having the 14P?
I do notice the difference in battery life, but not so much that it's a problem. I tend to carry apple's MagSafe battery pack with me in my backpack anyway, so if I'm running low I just use that. Also I'm a big user of iPads, and realised I had less of a need for a big screen phone.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I went from 12 Pro to 14 Pro Max and it’s a whole world of difference in everyday usage.
My 12 Pro only lasted a day with moderate usage as new, the 14 Pro Max goes forever even with heavy use. Currently been off the charger for 13 hours and is still on 72%

The modem in the 12 Pro was awful too after we got 5G here. If you ever dropped back down to 4G the internet connection would drop out constantly.
No such problem from my wife’s 13 Mini or my 14 Pro Max

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Interesting result so far!
1680884295462.jpeg

I definitely didn’t think “No regrets” would have that much votes!
Still have to see if I keep mine, but probably, had it for 14 days now and it’s grown on me! Especially battery life and the dynamic island thing for live sport results.

Thanks all for voting!

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Interesting result so far!
View attachment 2185773
I definitely didn’t think “No regrets” would have that much votes!
Still have to see if I keep mine, but probably, had it for 14 days now and it’s grown on me! Especially battery life and the dynamic island thing for live sport results.

Thanks all for voting!
The biggest shock here is the fact that you find the dynamic island useful.

Personally I wish they’d just kept the notch

wgaller

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2012
The biggest shock here is the fact that you find the dynamic island useful.

Personally I wish they’d just kept the notch
Really? Dynamic island will continue to offer more functionality - notch was nothing more.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Really? Dynamic island will continue to offer more functionality - notch was nothing more.
Yeah.
Not only does it offer no more functionality or value than the notch, it’s also distracting.
The notch faded away into the background, I never realised it was there in daily usage. The dynamic island, with its bit of screen above, draws attention to itself.
It also appears to have made the top information bar deeper than before, in order to keep the gap above and below, symmetrical.

Obviously, it’s not an issue that stopped me buying or enjoying the phone. It’s just one of those things that makes it seem like they’re pointlessly following trends from others.
I’m just glad we didn’t end up with the 2 hole design, because that would have looked even worse.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It’s just one of those things that makes it seem like they’re pointlessly following trends from others.

I want to ask, which specific trend they followed here? As far as I know, there’s wasn’t a concept of dynamic island before Apple announced it.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2023
Yeah.
Not only does it offer no more functionality or value than the notch, it’s also distracting.
The notch faded away into the background, I never realised it was there in daily usage. The dynamic island, with its bit of screen above, draws attention to itself.
It also appears to have made the top information bar deeper than before, in order to keep the gap above and below, symmetrical.

Obviously, it’s not an issue that stopped me buying or enjoying the phone. It’s just one of those things that makes it seem like they’re pointlessly following trends from others.
I’m just glad we didn’t end up with the 2 hole design, because that would have looked even worse.
Funny how different we see the use of the island thingy, fully respect your side of it! I do agree it’s a bit gimmicky so far but I’m definitely into the new functionality of displaying active live action and the quick “access” to that specific info and app IMO, e.g. the app Sports Alerts. I think this is going to be a lot more explored both by Apple and app developers, and looks like the 15 is still going to have the pill!

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I want to ask, which specific trend they followed here? As far as I know, there’s wasn’t a concept of dynamic island before Apple announced it.
I was referring to the hole punch trend.
One that has been around for a very long time in other manufacturers, but again is very distracting.

The notch in my eyes was a fairly elegant solution for raising the information bar away from the usual screen area, thereby giving more screen space in a smaller phone.
The dynamic island just seems to be dumped up there with no real thought.

Reactions: Menneisyys2

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Maybe it’s just down to the fact that I’ve still found no real usage for the island.

I don’t deny that the way they’ve worked it into iOS is clever, it’s just the only uses I’ve found myself so far are a bit of a gimmick rather than useful or life changing.

Or perhaps I’ve unknowingly reached that age where I’m resisting change for no reason 🤣

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.