Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
To the informed buyers, yes, there will be changes.

If I were in the market for a used iPhone I would want one that comes with a version of iOS that's known to be safe and I would also want one that has a new battery. That criteria would eliminate many phones but might also make the qualifying phone more pricy.

Another reason to refrain from updating your iOS if you ever want to sell your phone. Lol

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
To the informed buyers, yes, there will be changes.

If I were in the market for a used iPhone I would want one that comes with a version of iOS that's known to be safe and I would also want one that has a new battery. That criteria would eliminate many phones but might also make the qualifying phone more pricy.

Another reason to refrain from updating your iOS if you ever want to sell your phone. Lol

But when you erase all your data don’t u have to upgrade to the latest iOS??

Reactions: Makayla

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
But when you erase all your data don’t u have to upgrade to the latest iOS??
No. You can reset your phone on the phone itself (Settings - General - Reset - Delete all settings and content). The iOS Version remains the same.

Only if you restore the phone via iTunes you'll have to upgrade to the latest version.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
After the scandal broke, I can tell you no way I’m interested in an iPhone 7 from eBay or swappa.

I Don't think this will stop the sale of older iPhone models at all. Some are not going to care when one way or the other and their also a large majority of iPhone users who don't pay attention to the media about the battery throttling.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There is no real battery scandal. However, there is a perpetrated scandal that has been growing in the minds of those who have been consumed with the wish for one. And for the moment (15 minutes in real nonconspiracy time) the ruminations have been given a temporary voice by those in their own ranks, who would cut their nose off despite their face. And to what end? To prove in some pretzel logic way, that a negative is really a positive until some other technology night stalker turns the tables, and suddenly a rally cry for 'cause' becomes the laughter of conspiracy and the scorn of lost time.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The average iPhone user does not compare specs. They just want their phone to work! That's what an iPhone user wants and Apple knows it. 'Droid users on the other hand...

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
There is no real battery scandal. However, there is a perpetrated scandal that has been growing in the minds of those who have been consumed with the wish for one. And for the moment (15 minutes in real nonconspiracy time) the ruminations have been given a temporary voice by those in their own ranks, who would cut their nose off despite their face. And to what end? To prove in some pretzel logic way, that a negative is really a positive until some other technology night stalker turns the tables, and suddenly a rally cry for 'cause' becomes the laughter of conspiracy and the scorn of lost time.

No scandal huh? Tell that to the enraged members of this forum
[doublepost=1513982194][/doublepost]
Wow, now that we know the total life of an old iPhone is even longer - I am going to ask MORE for mine !

Yeah but will anyone buy it? That’s the question after the scandal

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Isn't it terrible Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows you to keep using your old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded? Isn't it terrible that Apple provides system and security updates for 5 full years? No wonder iPhones have no resale value.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Isn't it terrible Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows you to keep using your old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded? Isn't it terrible that Apple provides system and security updates for 5 full years? No wonder iPhones have no resale value.

There will always be those who find fault for whatever Apple does, no matter if it's good or bad, because they like to believe there's a malicious act behind everything Apple does, because they don't agree with Apples path over the years, therefore they have to find their own narrative to make Apple look bad. But I always remind myself that those who think Apple is going to fall are a small minority on a tech forum.

scottinlexky

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
how do I know if my iphone 6s is being throttled? this battery drains fast as hell as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.