Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Honestly I don’t typically keep the device long enough to experience slowdowns. I know though a lot of people don’t upgrade every year but to say this is a worst disaster than the Note 7 is really a reach.

But I want to know, how much throttling you'd accept. You said youd rather have a phone that runs slow then shuts off, how much slower?

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
But I want to know, how much throttling you'd accept. You said youd rather have a phone that runs slow then shuts off, how much slower?

I don’t know. I have literally gotten a new iPhone every year so I never keep them long enough to experience throttling. I can’t answer a question to something I haven’t experienced

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
I don’t know. I have literally gotten a new iPhone every year so I never keep them long enough to experience throttling. I can’t answer a question to something I haven’t experienced

So then are you going to remove your post saying you are OK with throttling if you don't know if you are ok with it?

Reactions: iSilas

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
So then are you going to remove your post saying you are OK with throttling if you don't know if you are ok with it?

Nope because if I have to pick between a phone that explodes and a phone that slows down as an only option I would pick the latter.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
You want it both ways.

Your OK with throttling, but don't want to put a number on it.

You OK with throttling, but never own a phone long enough to have it throttle.

Since you never own a phone that throttles, you have no experience with it, so you don't want to say how much is ok, or even if it is ok.

But your still OK with throttling.

Its OK not to have a defense with it. I wasn't attacking you. I was just trying to figure out your point.

If you are OK with throttling, how much throttling are you OK with?

Or Maybe your not OK with throttling.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
After the scandal broke, I can tell you no way I’m interested in an iPhone 7 from eBay or swappa.
I am Actually interested in Buying a Actually just ordered a Refusrbised IPhone 6s Plus for $200 Used Off Sprint, the only reason Being I really want to be part of the Class Action Lawsuit.
What will likely end up happening is Apple will Lose the court case and have to Free of Charge Replace all affected devices batteries with new one aka iPhone 6s Plus.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am Actually interested in Buying a Actually just ordered a Refusrbised IPhone 6s Plus for $200 Used Off Sprint, the only reason Being I really want to be part of the Class Action Lawsuit.
What will likely end up happening is Apple will Lose the court case and have to Free of Charge Replace all affected devices batteries with new one aka iPhone 6s Plus.
What's with random capitalized words?

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
No effect. I can replace their
batteries myself with no issues.

This reminds me of the time I used an HTC device that turned itself off at around 40% battery percentage but with it's (then) resell value, replacing it's battery was not a good deal.

jgiannakas

macrumors member
May 26, 2014
Very well said - a rare voice of reason.

I will be interested to hear Apple's reason for limiting voluntary customer paid battery replacement service - my bet is eco-friendliness. Apple does a detailed audit/calculation of its products' environmental impact calculated on one single battery for the life of each iPhone. If people start requesting 2 or 3 replacement batteries to keep all previous generation's devices at full speed for years, then the eco rating will inevitably suffer.

Probably will get better as you make,m and ship one less phone actually!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You Do you realize that litigation at this level could take years before that any of this is even resolved or rectified through the legal system? By Then, if true, the iPhone 6s battery replacement is completely irrelevant and won't be supported by iOS anyways.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Great. I don’t need your approval nor do I need to explain myself. However personally attacking me was uncalled for. Do it again and I’ll report you

Report him for what? Saying that you have low standards? It's a justified observation, not a personal attack. If you're accepting of an item you've paid for performing at 90% of its advertised capacity, your standards for quality are low. Fact, not a personal attack.

Reactions: macfacts

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Report him for what? Saying that you have low standards? It's a justified observation, not a personal attack. If you're accepting of an item you've paid for performing at 90% of its advertised capacity, your standards for quality are low. Fact, not a personal attack.
Reminds me of the Pixel fans on Reddit. It's quite visibly an OLED display from 2011. Yet they keep trying to justify that it's not a big deal and can compete with the big dogs. Just because fanboys accept flimsy standards doesn't mean rational consumers like us do.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Reword the thread question as, "do you think some buyers will try to low ball you based on iPhone age?"

Answer is yes.

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
I haven’t seen resistance yet.

I just yesterday sold spouse’s “perfect” simfree iP6s+ 64gb with accessories, original box, and mailing box on eBay for $329, within a couple hours of dropping it from $349, the price point at which it hung for 5 days listed before Christmas.

I airquote “perfect” because it is a two-year old phone and was clearly described as such.

It actually sold previously and quickly for that price dropped Dec 22, but person wanted mailed to different address than Paypal verified so had to cancel/refund. Waited til Christmas night to relist.

Last edited:

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I would think yes, but not because of any "scandal". People are probably more aware of degraded battery impact now. But I would be wary buying a used iPhone anyway because of the battery. That is the first thing to go, not any speed decreases. A bad battery needs to be replaced regarded unless you plan on keeping a phone tethered to your desk at all times. Mobile phones need to be... "mobile".

I really do wish I could easily replace a battery. It's a cost of doing business with Apple and in exchange I get a better design and smaller form. No doubt, it would be nice, but honestly, I would only change a battery once in a phone's lifetime. People have a right to be offended by Apple's practices, and should simply buy a different phone if they are upset by Apple's practices. Best case, Apple may change (doubt it), but at a minimum you won't have to be mad at them any more and have a phone you're happy with (hopefully).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering. A number of posts were removed due to arguments occurring.

Reactions: BigDO

Steve's Dead

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017
After the scandal broke, I can tell you no way I’m interested in an iPhone 7 from eBay or swappa.
Let me clear this up for you real quick for the record, since no one seems to have directly responded to your OP:

1. Nothing is “broken” or “capped” about these phones. Performance is NOT permanently reduced. They just need a new battery, which they would have needed in any case!

2. Replace the battery, boom, good as new! Just like every other phone out there. Better, in fact, because a new battery is always better, regardless of how the OS adapts to its power state.

3. Really consumers are better off buying these iPhones than ever, because there will be more of an incentive to replace the battery from a seller’s perspective. And Apple, for the meantime, has made it very cheap (as if it wasn’t cheap already - I’ve been replacing my iPhones’ batteries for $15 for YEARS)

As someone who sells iPhones used, I’m personally going to make a big show of having Apple replace dozens of batteries for me, and include pictures of each repair slip on my eBay listings so people like you will prefer them over my competitors’ listings. Even though you could easily do this yourself for any iPhone you buy.

What you SHOULD be asking yourself is, “are misinformed users like me going to confuse themselves into being unnecessarily scared of some phone models over others, even though they literally all work better with a new battery?” Because sadly yes that will shape the used market, probably for the better of anybody who has a clue, because demand may go down temporarily. Great time to go sweep up phones on Craigslist for cheap, lemme tell you that, and I’m excited for the windfalls as a seller.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilverx

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
To the informed buyers, yes, there will be changes.

If I were in the market for a used iPhone I would want one that comes with a version of iOS that's known to be safe and I would also want one that has a new battery. That criteria would eliminate many phones but might also make the qualifying phone more pricy.

Another reason to refrain from updating your iOS if you ever want to sell your phone. Lol
No. Just replace the battery. Problem solved.

PeaceMonger

Suspended
Nov 27, 2017
It's going to hammer resale value.

First - fewer new phones will be sold, that alone will affect resale.

The value of a used phone will drop by at LEAST the cost of a new battery.

This story will not disappear, the lawsuits and foreign government intervention will keep it in the news for a long time. Competitors will have an advertising field day with this. I am looking forward to the Samsung commercials.

Ultimately, I expect Apple to increase the cost of battery replacements if they get to continue abusing customers, once the se lawsuits are resolved. Count on it.

I would bet that in five years possession of an iPhone will mark you as stupid. Only fools buy $1,000+ crippled iPhones, new or used.

I think those folks who say, "I buy a new one every year," are simply willing to screw over the new purchaser. It is wrong to pass on a problem to a new person for profit. Scum hurts people like that.

So, yeah. The used market will devolve to include only the stupid, the poor, and the very ill informed.

[doublepost=1515288101][/doublepost]
Eliminates my interest in iPhone period. My iPhone 6 was just fine until immediately after iOS 11 update.

Amen. There are some men who do grab their ankles for Apple.

I am replacing ALL Apple gear with modern tech. I will not support any company that abuses their customers and stockholders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.