Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It won’t have any significant effect. Yes, the mainstream news has covered it, but a week from now they’ll be covering something else and the vast majority of people won’t remember this.

Think about it, did Galaxy Note 7s erupting into flames and being pulled from the market ruin the sales of the Note 8? And that was a way bigger deal than this. The general public has a short memory. We’re one celebrity death or Trump tweet away from this being completely forgotten.

Reactions: bobob

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
If I try to sell my iPhone 6 now, I would expect the buyer to ask me how old the battery is. When I tell them it’s the original 3year old battery, I’d expect they would pass or offer me less. I’m just going to trade it in to AT&T for 100 bucks and not deal with the hassle of selling.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I try to sell my iPhone 6 now, I would expect the buyer to ask me how old the battery is. When I tell them it’s the original 3year old battery, I’d expect they would pass or offer me less. I’m just going to trade it in to AT&T for 100 bucks and not deal with the hassle of selling.

Off-topic: I don't even sell my iPhones out right anymore to anyone. I would rather trade them in and take a potential loss. I find it to be more convenient and I can't avoid any fraudulent transactions.

Reactions: sean000

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I can't wait for the Swappa comments now. "Was the battery recently replaced?" will be the top one. Lol.

Reactions: BigDO

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
It won’t have any significant effect. Yes, the mainstream news has covered it, but a week from now they’ll be covering something else and the vast majority of people won’t remember this.

Think about it, did Galaxy Note 7s erupting into flames and being pulled from the market ruin the sales of the Note 8? And that was a way bigger deal than this. The general public has a short memory. We’re one celebrity death or Trump tweet away from this being completely forgotten.

Keep telling yourself that.

Speaking of the Note 7, Samsung treated that infinitely better than Apple is doing with this.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
How is needing a new battery better than making it slow

Those are not the choices. It is would you rather have your phone randomly shutdown for time to time, or be slow time to time? Apple isn't doing anything to the battery itself, it be be degrading regardless.

The bigger issue is the policy that Apple has/had on replacing the battery even if you wanted to pay for it. They should be consistent and use the same indicator they use to throttle to determine if they will replace a battery or not (both under warranty and if someone wants to pay out of warranty).

I can't wait for the Swappa comments now. "Was the battery recently replaced?" will be the top one. Lol.

Were people not asking that before??

Reactions: Ladybug and bobob

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Those are not the choices. It is would you rather have your phone randomly shutdown for time to time, or be slow time to time? Apple isn't doing anything to the battery itself, it be be degrading regardless.

The bigger issue is the policy that Apple has/had on replacing the battery even if you wanted to pay for it. They should be consistent and use the same indicator they use to throttle to determine if they will replace a battery or not (both under warranty and if someone wants to pay out of warranty).
Very well said - a rare voice of reason.

I will be interested to hear Apple's reason for limiting voluntary customer paid battery replacement service - my bet is eco-friendliness. Apple does a detailed audit/calculation of its products' environmental impact calculated on one single battery for the life of each iPhone. If people start requesting 2 or 3 replacement batteries to keep all previous generation's devices at full speed for years, then the eco rating will inevitably suffer.

Reactions: Ladybug

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Keep telling yourself that.

Speaking of the Note 7, Samsung treated that infinitely better than Apple is doing with this.

I'm not telling myself anything, because I don't have a vested interest in this. I don't worry about iPhone resale value. I usually just give my old phones to family members. But you really believe that iPhone resale value is going to take a big hit over this? Not likely, especially if the take away message for those who actually do follow and remember this story is that all it takes is a battery replacement and an old iPhone will perform like new.

Reactions: iApple_man

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I'm not telling myself anything, because I don't have a vested interest in this. I don't worry about iPhone resale value. I usually just give my old phones to family members. But you really believe that iPhone resale value is going to take a big hit over this? Not likely, especially if the take away message for those who actually do follow and remember this story is that all it takes is a battery replacement and an old iPhone will perform like new.

It most definitely will. Iphone has gone, overnight, from a phone good for a couple of generations to a phone which is intentionally slowed down by os updates a year after release.

Reactions: iSilas

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It most definitely will. Iphone has gone, overnight, from a phone good for a couple of generations to a phone which is intentionally slowed down by os updates a year after release.
The people who care have already been saying that iPhones slow down with updates. The only new development is a solid explanation of why.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
After the scandal broke, I can tell you no way I’m interested in an iPhone 7 from eBay or swappa.

As long as they make beautiful things, they will attract our attention. Nothing most dangerous to our wallets than a beautiful phone...

Last edited:

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Off-topic: I don't even sell my iPhones out right anymore to anyone. I would rather trade them in and take a potential loss. I find it to be more convenient and I can't avoid any fraudulent transactions.

I’m finding this to be my preference as well these days. I have bought and sold used camera gear on eBay, Craigslist, etc. since the early 2000’s and it seems like in recent years so many buyers end up being fraudulent. I have canceled a few transactions once it was clear the buyer was fraudulent (asking for changes to shipping address or complicated money transfers). I will still give it a go if I’m selling something that is worth a lot, but I’ve found some used camera retailers that pay decent prices for some lenses and other items. I’m willing to sacrifice some profit for a safe and easy transaction, especially when the item just isn’t worth much anyway.

Reactions: 44267547

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
Isn't it terrible Apple includes a power management algorithm that allows you to keep using your old iPhones by preventing unexpected shutdowns even when the battery is degraded? Isn't it terrible that Apple provides system and security updates for 5 full years? No wonder iPhones have no resale value.

Applie, your fast phone is only fast for a year.

Reactions: Vanilla35

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I’d much rather have a phone that’s throttled than one that has exploding batteries.

With that said folks who are comparing Samsung to Apple it’s no comparison.

opfreak

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
I’d much rather have a phone that’s throttled than one that has exploding batteries.

With that said folks who are comparing Samsung to Apple it’s no comparison.

How much throttling is OK with you? Are you ok with your X running 20% slower next year? 50%? ok 90% slow but you know its cool, because it doesn't shut down, or explode.

Reactions: Hal~9000

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
How much throttling is OK with you? Are you ok with your X running 20% slower next year? 50%? ok 90% slow but you know its cool, because it doesn't shut down, or explode.

Honestly I don’t typically keep the device long enough to experience slowdowns. I know though a lot of people don’t upgrade every year but to say this is a worst disaster than the Note 7 is really a reach.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Very well said - a rare voice of reason.

I will be interested to hear Apple's reason for limiting voluntary customer paid battery replacement service - my bet is eco-friendliness. Apple does a detailed audit/calculation of its products' environmental impact calculated on one single battery for the life of each iPhone. If people start requesting 2 or 3 replacement batteries to keep all previous generation's devices at full speed for years, then the eco rating will inevitably suffer.
You mean their profits would suffer as they’d sell less iPhones.

Reactions: Hal~9000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.