Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
The DODOcase can easily accommodate a screen protector, but anything the touches the sides will effect the fit (and potentially make it not fit). DODOcraig

Thanks for the answer. The invisible shield is pretty thin so it should fit. But I'm not sure if it will effect the shield. I'm more worried about the shield being peeled off or something like that....

jpow112

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2007
Arrived now

Have now had my case for 24hours- v pleased with it.

My family were confused - "it looks like a book!"

Ah well..

GeekyTiki

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
I have had the DODOcase for around two months now. Mine has not held up so well. It did slip once from my hand and fell about a foot to my desk. The bamboo frame cracked in several places. I glued it back together with very strong wood glue, i knew this would work as I had previously repaired it when the layers in the plywood started to delaminate. The outer part of the case, the "book" part has held up well, the foam inserts need replacement already as they do not hold the iPad very well, I just think they machined the bamboo plywood too thin, and it has caused the frame to not be as sturdy. I would have sent it back originally when it started to delaminate, but I just didn't have the time to deal with shipping it back, it was just easier to fix it.

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcase colors

Hi everyone!

I'd like to invite you to check out the new colors we've launched for the DODOcase (http://www.dodocase.com). We are in soft launch mode on the new site, but the colors are ready to go.

DODOcraig

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I really like the colors as well. Do you have any clearer shots of all the different colors? I am especially interested in the hues of the purple and blues but its difficult to see in the small images you have on the order page. I only see one picture with a bunch of different colors but its not a head on shot.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
Hi everyone!

I'd like to invite you to check out the new colors we've launched for the DODOcase (http://www.dodocase.com). We are in soft launch mode on the new site, but the colors are ready to go.

DODOcraig

Based on how poorly so many of these cases have "aged," shouldn't you be spending more time trying to figure out how to build a more durable, sturdy case than simply putting out the same case in different colors?

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Based on how poorly so many of these cases have "aged," shouldn't you be spending more time trying to figure out how to build a more durable, sturdy case than simply putting out the same case in different colors?

I have been having issues trying to find reviews of how this case holds up after a few months. I was very close to buying one but are you suggesting holding off? I probably wouldn't use this for any sort of impact case (I have a larger sleeve that could serve this purpose) but just want something that can protect it from stratches, provide a better angle for typing, or watch movies in portrait mode. Are the knockoffs (treegoo etc) better?

AC Rempt

Contributor
Feb 24, 2008
I have been having issues trying to find reviews of how this case holds up after a few months. I was very close to buying one but are you suggesting holding off? I probably wouldn't use this for any sort of impact case (I have a larger sleeve that could serve this purpose) but just want something that can protect it from stratches, provide a better angle for typing, or watch movies in portrait mode. Are the knockoffs (treegoo etc) better?

I can't speak to the treegoo question, but I can tell you that I love my Dodo case. I've had it for three months now, taken the iPad out several times, and the case still works like a charm. The corner pieces are still in place and hold my iPad solidly, and my bamboo tray is flawless. I use my iPad daily at home, work and out the world, and the Dodo case stands up.

There have been plenty of posts from people with problems, but I'm definitely not one.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003

Agreed. I love the concept, but I won't be parting with my heard-earned until I've got rather more confidence that the design has been improved.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
I agree that the Dodocase looks awesome with great concept behind it. However, after it "aged" a bit, it does start to wear down and durability becomes an issue.

It's unfortunate but then it should be like 30 bucks a piece then I wouldn't mind buying it over and over again to keep replacing my worn dodocase.

Right now I can't get myself to order another one just because durability is really bad on it.

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcolors

@Built - The exterior cover of the DODOcase is made in a traditional book bindery which is a separate process than the bamboo production. Changes to one design or color doesn't effect our ability to be testing improvements in the other. We are constantly working with our bamboo suppliers to optimize the strength of the product. Thanks for your thoughts.

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
DODOcase durability

The durability of any product made of wood is going to have a load of dependencies such as usage patterns, environment, climate, etc. We are still using some of the original prototypes here in San Francisco (5+ months). We continue to improve the materials we are working with in an effort to combat some of the shortcomings of wood in certain environments. We are constantly making subtle tweaks and improvements to the DODOcase and I hope you give us a try.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I just got my DODOcase and I'm impressed. When I read that the cover was a synthetic leather, I immediately thought "uh-oh - pleather" but it's quite nice. More like what you'd find on a lab notebook. The rubber "holder" that keep the iPad in the case seem to be quite secure. In fact, I'll probably end up leaving it in there 90% of the time as getting it out might be an issue. All in all, the case looks very good, very professional. A nice upgrade over the stock Apple case.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Just so people know they have just made available 11 more colours each $5 more than the normal red ones. Some of them look good but I still prefer the red.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Just so people know they have just made available 11 more colours each $5 more than the normal red ones. Some of them look good but I still prefer the red.

The dark brown one looks pretty nice. I like dark cases that blend in and don't attract attention to my ipad while I'm out in public.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I just got my DODOcase and I'm impressed. When I read that the cover was a synthetic leather, I immediately thought "uh-oh - pleather" but it's quite nice. More like what you'd find on a lab notebook. The rubber "holder" that keep the iPad in the case seem to be quite secure. In fact, I'll probably end up leaving it in there 90% of the time as getting it out might be an issue. All in all, the case looks very good, very professional. A nice upgrade over the stock Apple case.
I'm loving mine, and actually, other than to slightly adjust it at first, I haven't taken mine out of the case. There's been no need to. Plus I actually prefer the feel of the iPad/Dododcase combo over just a naked iPad.

I haven't had mine for very long, so I can't speak to the aging issue. But, here in Michigan we have the full range from 90+ degree/90% humidity to below zero without windchill (with big swings within that range on a day to day basis). San Fransisco has a nice ocean to balance out the climate. We have the Great Lakes that make it totally random around here. So if nothing else, I'll certainly be a test case for varying environment! (Shoot! I should have asked the Dodocase people if they wanted to send me a case for "environmental testing" purposes.) :cool:

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Mine has been plagued by peeling corner pads. Dodo is great about sending new ones but they all keep peeling away from the bamboo. Dodo says they are working on it...we shall see...

If I were buying a case now, I would steer clear...

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Mine has been plagued by peeling corner pads. Dodo is great about sending new ones but they all keep peeling away from the bamboo. Dodo says they are working on it...we shall see...

I like to tweak things by nature, so I just used a small amount of urethane adhesive and glued them down.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002

Same here...had mine about weeks now and the corner pads do keep shifting and buckling from time to time and I have to remove the iPad to press them back into place....other than that, I've been very happy with my case. I have confidence that Dodo will address these issues-they seem very attuned to customer satisfaction and a solid product.

Doublemint1984

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
I have confidence that Dodo will address these issues-they seem very attuned to customer satisfaction and a solid product.

They sure are. I received mine about 2 months ago, and I was well happy with it (just the occasional lifting of one of the corners). Then I noticed that I had 2 small cracks at the bottom of the bamboo.
I then sent out a mail telling them about the problem. They acted very customerfriendly and the matter was settled about 2 mails later (in which i provided them with pictures of the cracks) with the result that they will send me a new one free of charge.

I am very impressed with their fast and efficient customerservice.

2 thumbs up from me.

T

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Not recommended, but just an FYI that my Dodocase saved my iPad! :D

My son dropped it to the concrete driveway (about 3 or 4 feet), and not a problem with the iPad. Three of corners of the case cracked a bit, but still held it in place. A bit of glue later (including some glue for the corner pads, they are nice rubber pads, but do seem to slowly slip with the glue they use), and it's holding the iPad tight as ever.

I don't believe the makers of the case recommend it for fall protection but it worked at least this once for me, and I'm glad not to be out an iPad even if my case isn't quite as pretty as it once was. (And now my kids know that they don't have to be nice and do me a favor by getting the iPad out of the van for me.)

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
You gonna let your son near your iPad again?
Not outside. ;)

Although, I'm certainly looking for a bag to carry it in since I walk 1.5 miles to and from work, and it's usually not worth lugging my whole backpack, so I often wind up just carrying the iPad (or using a lovely plastic grocery bag for my lunch and iPad - now that's style!!). Knowing how clumsy I can get*, some sort of man-purse is definitely next on my list!

* The kid takes after me. He's old enough to handle it fine, but just slipped that once.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Hi everyone,
I just received my light blue dodocase on Saturday and the build quality is amazing. It fits the iPad like a glove and works even though I have a full body invisible shield. The case is very sturdy for flipping around to type on and it doesn't collapse in on itself while typing. I only wish that they had a similar string and button solution that the bookbook case has where it can be fixed in portrait mode at any angle. Part of me is debating just doing it since it seems straightforward, but it physically pains me to mar this beautiful case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.