Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Had my Dodocase for 4+ months now. My iPad is in it 24/7. Have taken it just about everywhere in my bag. I had to add a bit of glue to 2 of the foam pieces that came loose, but no real biggy. The binding is flimsy now around the spine, but I guess that was to expected with folding it back a lot. Good thing is it hasn't torn or shown any signs it's going to. Overall I'm still quite happy with it. iPad is still snug inside it, and haven't had any warping.

Not sure it will survive a full year, but overall, good purchase for me for what I've gotten out of it so far. It's been like carrying around a hardcover book in my bag. And opening it up or sitting it on a table like a book is great. Inconspicuous and pretty solid. Hopefully newer revisions of the case make it more sturdy for the long run as I might end up picking up another in a few months.

Four months was the lifespan of my Dodo. The spine was wearing fairly well, only a bit flimsy but as has been reported ad nausiem, the initial foam corners don't hold up very long and even with a touch of superglue, the newer rubber pads, while providing much better grip, also lost adhesion. A few weeks back a small piece of the bamboo frame chipped off near the power button and sadly today, when dropped accidentally from about a foot off the floor, the entire right side of the bamboo frame split/splintered right off. The iPad suffered no damage other than a very small, slight ding on the back edge, so I guess the case did it's job. Honestly, I must've sensed the Dodo was nearing its end as I ordered a Portenzo Friday night. The original Apple case will be pressed back into duty for the time being.

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I think you will be pleased with the Portenzo. A better design with better execution and more options, compared with Dodo.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
As a former owner of a Dodocase, I'm afraid I'll have to agree with most others here regarding quality vs. the Portenzo. I just received my new Portenzo today and the build quality and feel vs. the Dodocase is, in my opinion, far better on the Portenzo. Only time will tell how well it holds up but it just feels sturdier and more substantial than the Dodo. And the greatest issue with the Dodo, the inadequate corner pads, is a non-issue with the Portenzo. Their corner solution is far superior--my iPad will not be falling out. In fact, once installed in the bamboo frame, it's actually rather difficult to remove it.

RedRobotWeb

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
I ordered a Dodo but its been nearly a week and no ship info yet. :( Not even an email confirming my purchase. I'm starting to seriously rethink my purchase and the Portenzo looks pretty good also.

tirnszw

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
Simply canceled mine.

My brief relation with DODOcase:

With excitement I placed an order for DODOcase back in June and, in matter of days videos were popping up on YouTube showing iPad falling out of the case up side down. Immediately the order was canceled. What kind of case spontaneously spits out a content inside? A case must at least defy gravity.

Now is Mid-November and the problem still persists as similar complaints are patent on this forum. I wanted to give DODOcase a try however, there are competitors with much better design and reliability. Especially, Portenzo claims that iPad can be taken in and out of their case without a worry of wearing pads that may cause insecurity.

DODOcase should re-evaluate their own case and learn from the failure. :eek:

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I have a DODOcase and 3 Portenzo cases (and a case accumulation problem, I know) - the fit, finish and performance of the Portenzo cases really puts the DODO to shame.

While my iPad did not ever fall out of the DODO, I did get tired of changing the corner pads (or carrying the case around with the pads sticking up with dirty glue residue exposed on the frame). The Portenzo corner design is light years better - more secure, not subject to coming apart, and with the latest innovations that the company has made, the bumpers don't even show.

I admire the vision of the DODOcase company but they have not taken care to correct the mistakes in product design that I believe they should have - certainly they lost me as a customer, and advocate and a user of their product. I own one but I do not use it.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Sterne -

As a multi-Portenzo owner, any thoughts on the standard case vs. the Alano. I have a standard Portenzo (the one that is similar to the DODO) and really like it, but that Alano sure looks nice... Do you find it to be much heavier that the basic case?

Thanks!

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Sterne -

As a multi-Portenzo owner, any thoughts on the standard case vs. the Alano. I have a standard Portenzo (the one that is similar to the DODO) and really like it, but that Alano sure looks nice... Do you find it to be much heavier that the basic case?

Thanks!

I have 2 Alanos and a Wingtip - I don't have a standard Portenzo. The Alano is not heavier than the Wingtip, and it's not noticeably heavier than the Dodo. And it sure is nice!

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I have a DODOcase and 3 Portenzo cases (and a case accumulation problem, I know) - the fit, finish and performance of the Portenzo cases really puts the DODO to shame.

While my iPad did not ever fall out of the DODO, I did get tired of changing the corner pads (or carrying the case around with the pads sticking up with dirty glue residue exposed on the frame). The Portenzo corner design is light years better - more secure, not subject to coming apart, and with the latest innovations that the company has made, the bumpers don't even show.

I admire the vision of the DODOcase company but they have not taken care to correct the mistakes in product design that I believe they should have - certainly they lost me as a customer, and advocate and a user of their product. I own one but I do not use it.

As a former DODOcase owner, I couldn't agree more...and I really don't understand why it is taking so long to remedy the corner issue. I, too, grew very tired of corners sticking up and dirty glue residue, so I sold mine. Next case will be a Portenzo for certain. I am very tempted by the Alano...do you have the chocolate brown one by any chance? I am trying to decide which color to go with...which colors do you own? They have so many great looking cases, I can see why you have several!

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I have a tan one, which I use every day, and a black one which is so beautiful I have not wanted to start using it.

My other Portenzo is a black and apple green Wingtip.

Portenzo!

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
I ordered a Dodo but its been nearly a week and no ship info yet. :( Not even an email confirming my purchase. I'm starting to seriously rethink my purchase and the Portenzo looks pretty good also.

RedRobotWeb, thanks for noticing! When you purchase a Portenzo, you will get a PDF reciept/order confirmation immediately. You can log into our sytem any time to view/make changes to your order. Your order status will say "Processing" right up until it ships, then it will change to 'Shipped' and you will automatically get an email confirming the shipment and including any tracking/customs numbers.

Your package will arrive with 4 layers of protection for the shipping process. (We want our product to arrive just as beautifully as we made it!)

I have a tan one, which I use every day, and a black one which is so beautiful I have not wanted to start using it.

STEVE! USE THE BLACK ONE!! I literally TRY to scuff and stain my Midnight Black Alano, and I am still amazed at how well the leather holds up, mine doesn't look worn at all, and I abuse them to test them....

The Buck Naked Alano will definitely patina with age, but the Midnight Black will probably take decades to catch up.

Can anyone tell me how much does it weigh?

9-10 ounces?

REnergy, I believe it is 9oz for the regular, and 11oz for the Alano. The solidity of the Alano really makes the whole case experience different, it doesn't feel like a case, it's a different experience altogether.

Thanks!
Darin and Team Portenzo!

Themanmbh

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010

Sterne,

I've use my iPad every day and it has not come out of the black Alano that it is encased in. I don't baby this thing. If anything spills on it (this has occurred a couple of times), I take a damp cloth and wipe the case clean. I've even thrown it in my briefcase with reckless abandon when running late for work.

The case still looks brand new. The leather is very durable and the case in general protects the iPad.

Michael

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Sterne,

I've use my iPad every day and it has not come out of the black Alano that it is encased in. I don't baby this thing. If anything spills on it (this has occurred a couple of times), I take a damp cloth and wipe the case clean. I've even thrown it in my briefcase with reckless abandon when running late for work.

The case still looks brand new. The leather is very durable and the case in general protects the iPad.

Michael

OK, OK, I'll use the black Alano....if I can stand to take the device out of the tan one...

ristb

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
I've had the dodocase for a 2 - 3 months now and the ipad does not stay in place at all. I love the case but I need my pad to stay in place. Has anyone receive the replacement rubber corners? Does this fix this issue? T.T Also I've been noticing crack wood in the hinges.

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
I've had the dodocase for a 2 - 3 months now and the ipad does not stay in place at all. I love the case but I need my pad to stay in place. Has anyone receive the replacement rubber corners? Does this fix this issue? T.T Also I've been noticing crack wood in the hinges.

Your best options are:

-See if DodoCase will replace the case n/c with one that has a non-defective frame.

OR

-See if you can get a refund from Dodo and buy a Portenzo. The Portenzo frame is thicker and better engineered. The iPad is far snugger (though still easy to remove when you want to) and the frame is less prone to warpage or cracking.

Good luck!

ristb

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks Sterne! e mailed dodocase yesterday received a response and I'm getting a replacement! They said it will ship within a week so I'm pretty stoked about it. Very happy with the response time and the way they dealt with the situation. Hopefully I see it within 2 weeks before my trip to Spain!

Anyone get a replacement case yet? how long does it take to arrive?

Sterne

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Thanks Sterne! e mailed dodocase yesterday received a response and I'm getting a replacement! They said it will ship within a week so I'm pretty stoked about it. Very happy with the response time and the way they dealt with the situation. Hopefully I see it within 2 weeks before my trip to Spain!

Anyone get a replacement case yet? how long does it take to arrive?

I'm glad to hear that Dodo's taking care of you.

Steven

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
As much as I loved my DODOcase, I sold it because I got tired of constantly replacing the corners and I wound up placing an order for the Portenzo composition case...got it in short order and I love it! It's made solid and corners are a non-issue....really nice case. Would order another without hesitation.

That said, I read recently on DODO's twitter feed that they think they have finally resolved the corner pad issue in collaboration with 3M. So, despite the issues people have been reporting, I have somewhat reluctantly placed an order for another DODOcase... all things said and done, there are many things that I really like about the dodocase, despite the issues. And I truly think that DODOcase is a good company striving to improve their product.

So, does anyone have a new DODOcase and can confirm whether the corners issue has improved at all?

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Updated DODOcase corner pad review

Hi guys, I've chimed in from time to time to talk about the updates we've made to the product, but obviously my opinion is slightly biased (but I DO always try to give you the straight scoop).

CrunchGear just posted their latest review of our product and specifically tested the corner pads. Take a look below. This is the change we introduced 90 days ago. Thanks everyone for all the orders and happy holidays.

-DODOcraig

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/16/dodocase-review-ipad/

"Going into the review, these grippy rubber corners were one of my early concerns; in researching the case, I found a handful of reports from users complaining that the rubber corners on their Dodocases had started to peel. Dodocase minus rubber corners = oh-god-my-iPad-just-hit-the-floor-and-exploded, so that wasn’t something I wanted to miss in my review. So, I sat there and popped my iPad in and out of the Dodocase a few hundred times; no pealing. I shot an email to the team — turns out, they worked with 3M to come up with a stronger glue for the thermoplastic rubber/bamboo combo, so the pealing issue had been done away with. So, yeah, I took my iPad in and out a few hundred times for nothing."

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Dodocase rubber corners = FAIL

Hi guys, I've chimed in from time to time to talk about the updates we've made to the product, but obviously my opinion is slightly biased (but I DO always try to give you the straight scoop).

CrunchGear just posted their latest review of our product and specifically tested the corner pads. Take a look below. This is the change we introduced 90 days ago. Thanks everyone for all the orders and happy holidays.

-DODOcraig

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/12/16/dodocase-review-ipad/

"Going into the review, these grippy rubber corners were one of my early concerns; in researching the case, I found a handful of reports from users complaining that the rubber corners on their Dodocases had started to peel. Dodocase minus rubber corners = oh-god-my-iPad-just-hit-the-floor-and-exploded, so that wasn’t something I wanted to miss in my review. So, I sat there and popped my iPad in and out of the Dodocase a few hundred times; no pealing. I shot an email to the team — turns out, they worked with 3M to come up with a stronger glue for the thermoplastic rubber/bamboo combo, so the pealing issue had been done away with. So, yeah, I took my iPad in and out a few hundred times for nothing."

All four rubber corners were slowly oozing out of their spots. Eventually the iPad would slip out of the case and smacked me on the nose.

The top right corner bamboo cracked as well.

I don't have the reciept but if I send the original case to you can I get a replacement? What is the email and address?

DODOcraig

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Our support email address is 'thenest@dodocase.com' . Send us a pic and we can diagnose what is going on and what we can do to solve the problem.

thefreeagent

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
New Mexico
Just received the (green) DODOcase...

...and it looks, and feels, awesome!
I just described the differences (and improvements) I have noticed from the first DODOcase that I ordered in May in another thread, but suffice it to say here that it seems like the design has been perfected. Feels solid; the corners grip and hold well; the new corner material is tough; the cover material is aesthetically pleasing yet feels durable; the spine is reinforced and supportive.
And, last but not least, though I like the red interior, the green even better!
Love it! Thank you guys and girls at DODOcase, and happy New Year to all!

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Well, against my better judgement, I decided to give Dodocase another go. The case arrived with several issues: the bamboo frame was either split or chipped in 3 different places and the front cover would not fold back behind itself.
So, I sent it back requesting a full refund, including return shipping. A week later and no response, I wrote support and was told that my refund had been applied, but it would take 7-10 days to process. The thing is, I paid with Paypal and refunds are usually reflected immediately...can't help but feel like I'm getting the runaround just a bit.
As a side note, I also ordered the DODObag, which was very well made, but I sent it back-no point in keeping it without the case.

Needless to say, I am disappointed.

As an update, they got back to me after I posted this and said that the credit had been done wrong and reapplied it and it did show up in my PayPal account this time; however, they still owe me for return shipping which they agreed to reimburse. I just e-mailed them again in regard to
this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.